1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So what is a winning trip?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by andyg99, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know to some it's simple - you have a gambling budget of X, if you come home with X+1: it is a winning trip. To me I look at my entire budget for the trip. If I budget 4K for 4 days (gambling, hotel, food, etc.) I consider it a winner if I come home with $1. I consider the 4k is already spent so any more that that is a bonus. I have had 3 trips in 29 where I came home with the original budget plus more, all other trips I have come home with at least a couple hundred up to somewhere close to the original budget. I can safely say every trip was a winning trip!

How about you guys? you look strictly at the gambling or do you consider everything?

Vegas Trip #42!
    Vegas Trip #43!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything above break even gambling wise is a winning trip, no need to cover expenses(if you stayed home you would spend money too).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jcombs

jcombs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I consider any trip where I come back with half of the money I brought a winner.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My gambling habits rarely change. As I mentioned in the other thread, I typically feel like spending $1000 or less on gambling is a win, from $1000 to $3000 is a loss, and over $3000 was a bad trip.

I don't count food, hotel, airfare or anything else in that calculation. Strictly gambling money.

Why do I move the bar and consider $1000 or less a win? I'm on vacation. If I were in Jamaica at a resort I would easily exceed $1000 keeping myself entertained with ATV tours, waverunners, tours, etc. If I go to Vegas and can gamble for 20 hours and lose $1000 or less that's $50 or less per hour of entertainment. That's a great bargain in my book. Nowadays I take my wife to a movie and dinner and spend $100 in 3 hours. I'd much rather pay a bit more per hour to entertain myself in the City of Sin.

• Like Like x 1
  5. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I played more poker a winning trip had to mean me bringing more money home. But then I realized I loved the desert, fancy drinks, great views, and spending 6 hours on my duff playing poker wasn't always fun or time well spent. So fun and relaxation is my goal now. I bring a budgeted amount, and if I had a great time and come back with half, great.

But, coming back with more cash is always best!

Optimistic, might make Identity Gold?
  6. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I come home and my gambling budget is down by less than $100 that is a winning trip. I try my best to keep gambling and food, beverage, tips separate but I know that late at night the gambling money may fraternize with the vacation money.

I just thought about tips don't know if I should try to add that to my calculations. There are plenty of times I have walked away from a table even but the dealer as earned tips. Do you consider dealer tips as gambling losses?

Fall Spectacular...
  7. aronius

aronius Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I call coming home with >75% of my gambling budget in tact a winning trip. Hotel, food, entertainment I stick on a CC and budget as vacation. I use portions of my gambling roll for tips, misc, and strip clubs. That's why I figure on 75% as a decent indicator that gambling went well.

So far I have been 9 times, 1/9 significantly up, 3/9 >75%, 4/9 down, 1/9 cleaned out.

Introducing my hard partying nephew to LV, what could go wrong?
    March Madness
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I consider tips as gambling losses because I feel like they're a necessary cost of gambling. However, quite contradictory, If I'm playing poker, however, then if I break even I'll consider that a winning session as far as how I played vs. other players, since between the rake and tips I outplayed them and just unfortunately had nothing to show for it. I think I separate how I feel because one is a game of luck and one is a game of skill.

9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whether I'm ahead on gambling or not determines if it is a "winning trip" for me. And that's happened a few times out of 16 (including last trip! ) But I also have enjoyed my more frequent losing trips as well!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you don't have to borrow money from your dickhead brother to pay for the "in flight meal" on the way home...That's a win!!!

Reno to Las Vegas...and other places in between..
    • Like Like x 1
  11. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with this. There is a difference between a winning trip and a fun trip. Two of the most fun trips I ever had were also losing trips when it came to the gambling, including a trip where I lost in excess of $100k. There's no way I could call that a winning trip, but it was a lot of fun

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I lose say $2,000, I don't call it a winning trip, but on the other hand, I don't call it a loser either. For instance, we are going to Seattle next month. Our hotel in downtown for four nights is going to be $1,100. Add in drinks, dinner, transportation and touristy stuff and we'll hit close to $2,500. And I won't get to gamble to possibly win some of it back. So it is hard to put a number on a Vegas trip and qualify it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sort of looking the opposite way and looking more at expenses than gambling. If I come home with enough to cover any debt on credit cards where I can start planning the next trip I see it as a winning trip. This is vague though because it depends on how much of the room, car rental etc I'm able to pay off before I even go. My next trip is still a way off so I should have hotel and things covered before I even go, but I'll still consider it a winning trip if a week after getting home I have no balance on my credit cards.

14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breaking even or better.

15. Hurricane

Hurricane Eat, drink, be merry and roll points

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look at gambling only. Hotel, air, food, drinks, golf, cabs, shows - these are expenses that I decide to incur for entertainment, and if I start counting all of those against gambling winnings I'm virtually ensuring a "losing" trip. I consider winning or losing within a certain margin (below my pain/joy thresholds) to be a wash, and anything more or less to be a win or loss, respectively.

16. ShelbyCharger

ShelbyCharger MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A winning trip to me is under five ATM rcpts.

17. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm gonna be mealy-mouthed about this, to your undying joy I'm sure. I think that a winning trip is when my gambling wins exceed my gambling losses. But I have another definition, which is when my wins exceed my overall costs including flight, hotel, and resort fees. On my last trip, I cashed in points on SWA, but paid Sept. 11th fees and Early Bird. So that's like 42 bucks. Then my room at Bally's was comped, but my resort fees were maybe $130. So my gambling wins on that trip exceeded my losses by more than $175, so I saw it as a "full comp", if you will. The eating and drinking I'd find a way to do anywhere anyhow, so I left that out of the equation.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me....since I have free rooms with no resort fee / comps to cover all food.....I budget for gambling funds & tips. I have never came home a winner on the gambling front but usually come home with at least 1/2 of my bankroll. Between airline points & gift cards....hubby & I can usually fly RT for $500 or less....this April....it was only $330 total. So if I can travel to my fav place on earth & only spend $600-700 in 6 days to stay in a great place / eat wonderful food / get comped show tickets.....I feel I have won big time. Heck - I can spend that much in a couple days at my local boat!

19. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    break even or better. I sort of consider it even if I am down $100 - $200 if had free rooms and meals.
    I blow a little money on a daily basis at home, so minor stuff is a wash.

20. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A winning trip is when I can pay for the entire trip and come home with money on top.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.