1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So much for a WSOP '18 Trip -- January Trip Instead

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by MiamiDave, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So just a few days ago I had talked about a WSOP poker trip in '18 and was loosely planning it, but my plans have been quickly blown to bits. Apparently around the same time as the intended trip, my wife and I have a new engagement with the kids that we have to attend out of town. I guess WSOP will wait for 2019. It was never a sure thing anyway, as it was 50/50 at best. I just never thought it would progress so quickly that I already know for certain that it's not happening.

Instead, I'm going to take advantage of a window from January 17-22nd to take a solo trip instead. It'll be partially solo anyway, since my sister will be out there for a conference for the week, but I'll only hang out with her a bit for about 1.5 of the 6 days.

I saw that the Venetian has a January Extravaganza (not to be confused with their larger, Deepstack Extravaganza) tournament going on that week. The main event is a $250/$250k GTD event and it has a $200+$300 buy-in events throughout the week. It looks to be relatively mediocre, but I can't find anything else going on anywhere in Vegas that week besides the normal daily tournaments. I guess it'll have to do.

Anyone play in this event before? Just wondering what to expect out of the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 Hot Dogs and Buns

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Venetian tournaments have a great turnout, and have some of the best structures - I am a big fan of anything they are running, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

If you decide you aren't feeling it, there are always the daily Aria/Wynn and nightly Aria tournaments that are worth the $ too.

3. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks TRN. I'll probably consider the daytime Aria/Wynn/Venetian stuff but the ones starting at 7 or 730pm are a bit too late for me. I go to bed at that time on the east coast so I might not have enough focus if I'm starting a tournament at that time and then going for 7-8 hours. The daytime dailies get pretty good participation, though.

I really like their payout structure, too, for the $250/$250k guaranteed. Day 1 flights end when the field gets to 5% but they start payouts for anyone who makes the last 10%. They pay like $400 for 10% of Day 1 and then work up the payouts like $100 per 1% until you bag at 5% and you get $1,000. It'll make the tourney less top-heavy (or way more top-heavy with poor payouts for the top 50? I'm not sure which) but I generally like the bubble coming sooner and being rewarded for good play. Good players bag a lot but it's not easy to finish top 3 in a large field no matter how well you play. I like being rewarded for good play.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be aware it's not exactly high season for tourists and it will be a lot of locals playing poker

Return to Greatness
  5. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, kps.

I have comps with Mlife/CET/Boyd. Since this is a solo trip I'm going to save my Mlife and CET comps, though. Doesn't make sense to burn them with low-play. If I go out there on a future trip with my wife and/or friends I'd rather keep those relationships intact for then. For me rolling solo this time, it's just a bed.

I think I'm going to stay at Gold Coast for a 3 night comp. It's got Ping Pang Pong and the 1.5+ mile walk to the strip early in the day will be good exercise. If I decide to uber it, it's super cheap. I may even just take the bus down Flamingo to LVB. Who knows.

It's fun to be selectively frugal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vision

Vision Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They got something like that the week i'll be in vegas. I am planning on entering the deep stack one to see how I would do. It'll be interesting, I havn't play in any tournaments for years. Just stuck to cash games during those times. Not sure if this transition would work out well but last time i played poker in vegas i did okay. Not great but atleast it was a positive side on a ssslllooooowww 2/5 game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.