1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So Much Food, Never Enough Time

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by luck.ofthe.draw, May 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM.

1. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would like to preface this with the knowledge that I am a "special" breed - and by special, I mean super weird.

I love spreadsheets. Excel helps me budget and allocate where I want to throw my money on food in Vegas. For my upcoming trip, I branched out and also made a Word.doc itinerary with food places, happy hour times, menu standouts or things I want to try...

For my upcoming trip, I've got 3 and a half days to cram as much eating as I can (Sat - Tues afternoon). The first night, I'm staying at the end of the Strip near MGM - so I have deemed my usual go-to [The Cosmo], off limits. I don't really give a shit where I eat.

The remaining days are primarily Cosmo dining, so I can accrue many points towards the Gold tier.

I've got my sights set on:
    Day 1 -
    • Brunch - Fleur, at Mandalay Bay (maybe?)
    • Lunch - ?
    • Dinner - Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill, MGM Grand ($25 dining credit)

Day 2 -
    • Pasteries at Bouchon Bakery (time to kill before check-in at Aria)
    • Lunch - Jaleo, The Cosmopolitan
    • Sangria Hour - Jaleo, The Cosmopolitan
    • Dinner - DOCG, The Cosmopolitan
    • Snacks - Milk Bar, The Cosmopolitan
    Day 3 -
    • Brunch - The Wicked Spoon, The Cosmopolitan (BOGO)
    • Lunch - China Poblano
    • Social Hr 3:30 - 6p - China Poblano (planning on doing this and late lunch simultaneously, leaving around 4)
    • Social Hr 5:30 - 7 - Scarpetta (pre-dinner drinks and nibbles)
    • Dinner - The Henry, The Cosmopolitan (meatloaf. 'nuff said)
    • Drinks & Snacks - Clique Bar - Unlock Your Mondays promo - time to drink!

Any other recommendations?

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    Early Birthday Present to Myself!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TableToddyy

TableToddyy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya make me one for my gambling & bankroll. Oh and make me come out a WINNER please.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm flabbergasted that you're staying at Aria but going to Cosmo for all your meals. That's almost like living in Boston but buying Jets season tickets!

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! Thanks Carve! I might check out a couple nibbles at Aria- I do like their 5/50 Pizza... Can't say I've ever really eaten ther though!

5. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, you're not weird on this board...some of our best members are spreadsheet happy (yes Chuck, I'm looking at you!)

Secondly, I LOVE that you've planned/researched....that's a huge park of making for a happy Vegas trip...you can be spontaneous if you want to, but you know the lay of the land.

Third, I love that you're Cosmo-happy on food, it's one of my favorite spots for food. If you like Burgers at all, Holsteins is an absolute must-go. It's basically ruined most other burgers for us. My favorites are the Steakhouse or the Fun-Ghi. Burgers are subjective, but run "Holstein's" on a search on VMB, it has glowing results, I am not the only Holsteins addict...

Geogran will cringe, as I always plug this, but if you want a casual meal/fun meal, Diablos at MC has amazing steak nachos...Maxim magazine voted them one of the best in the country. Just don't order anything else...it's MORE than a meal for two. (And I am NOT usually a nachos fan, as they are easy to throw together and usually so-so, but we get these every trip.)

Finally, pop on over to Bellagio....Todd English's Olives has a wonderful beef carpaccio appetizer that feeds two hungry people as a meal. Paired with (included) tapenades and an assortment of breads for around $21 bucks, it's a must-have for us every trip.

Have a BLAST!

P.S. since you're hitting Wicked Spoon (love it)...just know that they have a running special, one free meal once you hit 500 tier credits, two free meals once you hit 1k. You can only redeem once, but if you play there, free beats BOGO (and lets you save your BOGO) AND the free meal(s) can be applied to ANY day/time. Ask at Identity desk to redeem. If you've already played a lot, but never redeemed, I'd tell them that, and see if you can still get it. Worth asking...

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 12:56 AM
    • Like Like x 3
  6. spicole

spicole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On day 1, I suggest the AYCE small plates brunch at Border Grill at Mandalay Bay. I've said it here on the board before - one one of my recent trips it was the best meal we had, hands down.

The kid is away so the mice will play!
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would be hard for me to have a Wicked Spoon brunch and still eat a full lunch and dinner. I'd be too stuffed. I think it's a sign of age.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. erica1025

erica1025 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally agree about Border Grill Brunch. The food is amazing, my favorites are the shrimp and grits and steak dish.

Solo Trip
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DAVID BLAKE

DAVID BLAKE Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No recommendations but I love your idea of the spreadsheets. I also carry out a tip top military style itinerary for our Vegas trips much to my wife's amusement.

10. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the recommendation Spicole! I will check out the menu! Mandalay Bay always looks like they have great dining options.

Thank you David!! Glad I'm not the only one of the sort! My boyfriend just rolls his eyes and laughs at me. :p

11. the nuts

the nuts VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you say Bouchon Bakery, you mean the small kiosk type in the Venetian?
    If so, why not just have breakfast at the restaurant? You will be delighted trust me.

12. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mention getting pastries at Bouchon while killing time until your room at Aria is ready...and while I love love love Bouchon (and Bouchon Bakery), I think Bardot at Aria is even better. So if you're there on a weekend, I'd definitely give Bardot a try for brunch (or dinner any night of the week), or even just an order of the pastry basket to go.

13. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, I can't agree more with the sentiment of your post. As much as I love all my Vegas trips, at the end of each one, I'm always a little sad about the things I didn't have a chance to eat! :feedme:

• Like Like x 1
  14. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you Multifarious! Making spreadsheets and advanced planning has it's ups and downs... I've visited Vegas enough times now to know my favorite spots for good food, but it can also be limiting if I want to try a new place (depending on the duration of the trip).

I will have to pay Holsteins a visit! Are their milkshakes any good?

I've always wanted to try Todd English's Olives! Carpaccio is one of my favorites!

Oooh...I'll have to check out that tier credit promo at the Cosmo! Thanks for the tip!

15. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks the nuts, I love Bouchon! I might have to check out the restaurant side. I've gotten the croque madam there a couple of times, but my last few trips I've just been visiting the bakery and get their ham + cheese croissant (which also has Mornay sauce inside. Mmm!)

Thank you thecarve! I too am always sad at all the food I didn't get a chance to savor while I was there....seems like the trips always end too soon! :feedme:

16. mickyblueeyes

mickyblueeyes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a big fan of Javier's at Aria...actually a huge fan. Also Carbone for the Veal Parm and spicy Rigatoni. I wasn't a fan of Cosmo restaurants so I may have ordered the wrong thing. For June I am staying at Cosmo and booked reservations at Aria. Any faves at Cosmo besides meatloaf at Henry? Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  17. teehuge

teehuge Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love this post! I start my planning on Trello.com (it's free) and have categories to put new things I read about over the year (hiking, happy hours, etc.) . Then, about 90 days before the trip, (when I can get MyVegas rewards & Groupons), I go old school with what I call "The big board". I use a piece of core board and post-it notes and try to group meals/activites together. The post-its are handy because I can move things around. I actually bring the stack of post-its to Vegas and recreate the board on the mirror in my room. For me the planning & anticipation are part of the experience.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice, nice, nice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Micky! I would recommend anything from Jaleo (their chorizo lunch is really good - and you can't go wrong with the chicken croquetas!) or China Poblano (their noodles & tacos are delicious! Chips and salsa are fantastic too) - if you like Mexican or Chinese food.

Milk Bar is great for something sweet, I really like their shakes.

I haven't tried DOCG or Scarpetta as far as Italian goes, but I am looking forward to it.

When are you staying in June?

Teehuge, thanks for the recommendation! I have never heard of Trello before - might have to try it! I wholly agree that the planning and anticipation are a whole part of the trip experience. :D