1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So, how did airline devolution come about?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by deansrobinson, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've spent some time on here talking about flying; how it's not fun...sardines...service...and now we've got the commencement of hostilities with no chance of a peace accord in the foreseeable future.

I first flew back in '78. To boot camp at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri from Charlotte, N.C. I guess I never paid much attention during the years I was doing a lot of flying (multiple trips per year). In all honesty, I don't remember the 'golden age' of commercial flight (the nostalgia of it being 'an event'...when it was considered expensive...coat and tie expected, etc.).

But when did it come about that everybody and his brother has to fly to get where they're going? I don't recall ever being given the option of NOT flying for business related travel. Is it that the great unwashed were somehow admitted behind the curtain? Did the airlines really push getting more bodies through the Jetway?

How did we wind up where we are today...where the airports are soooooo much nicer than the actual flying experience?

I don't know that I ever thought flying was an experience, one way or the other, but I do know that now it's something to be endured with the full knowledge that the agenda can go out the window in a second.

Your thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. sabre

sabre Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My thought is I flew from PIT to LVA recently for $58 RT. I got exactly what I paid for.

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What you're seeing now is a result of easy cell phone videos, it doesn't make the national news without video. Airfare is cheaper than ever, those thugs(on their way to oakland be the way) shown today would've been on a greyhound bus 15 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everybody wants to get somewhere the fastest possible. And somewhere down the line the airlines cut their own throats by offering lower and lower prices to steal customers from each other. Naturally they had to do something to still be somewhat profitable so the seats and aisles got smaller and smaller to cram as much people as inhumanely possible. And the service they offered became Spartan or non-existent.

I'm thinking that all this news hoopla from leggings to dragging to fights to piss in the cup crap seems more prevalent now than ever before but maybe it isn't. Maybe it's because of this instant media/smartphone tech from facebook to twitter to whatever is bringing to light what was happening all the time but just wasn't reported like it is now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, flying is ridiculously cheap these days - in fact for all but the shortest distances, it tends to be cheaper than going by car or train.

Busses can be even cheaper, but if you think the crowd on planes is bad, I challenge you to take the Greyhound on a 1,000+ mile trip - I can guarantee an experience you'll never forget!

6. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LVA -- as in France? or did you mean LAS? do you work for the airlines or were you using a buddy pass? either way, that is some bargain airfare.

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know why the mystique of the road trip has ended. I don't agree that its cheaper to fly since I'm in the middle of planning a road trip. A car rental is cheaper than a single round trip ticket and we would end up renting a car on the other end if we flew. And the really cheap destinations? When you go through the airport hassles, you've spent the same amount of time getting there.

I know wonder if there were more competition if it would help. And I wish people would consider other ways to get there. One part of the United debacle that baffled me was that the trip is an easy drive. Can't believe a flight like that would sell out to begin with.

8. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    here is an example of why I fly, even though I hate it. why go to Tunica when you can go to Vegas? I like Tunica, but it is no Vegas. the drive from where I live is about 7 hours. I could fly to Memphis and then rent a car, but that would add up. or I can fly to Vegas in about 3.5 - 4 hours. when you add in the "airport hassles" time, it is about the same amount of time of driving to Tunica. and of course Vegas has tons more to offer, so Vegas wins even though I hate the flight.
    and did I mention, I am crazy about Vegas? my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Growing up: 1960's~70's. 'Vacation' was piling into the car, driving about a day, spending a week at the beach or mountains (cash transactions), and one-day drive back home.
    Adultland: determine where you want to go, what's it going to cost (e.g. credit card availability) including airfare and flight schedule.
    I don't think anyone today would ever say "Oh that's too far for a vacation. You'd have to fly to get there".

Looking at the numbers, however. Airlines are still very profitable, so we might bitch about it, but it's not like we're gonna stop showing up at Terminal-C anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The one thing I've noticed over the past few decades, which has been confirmed by our resident TAs, is that airlines really watch the load factor and downsize jets or eliminate flights if they can't fill them.

The flights which are only partly full are now becoming the rare exception. It seems like the "This flight will be completely full" announcement is becoming more common than not anymore.

More crowds = less personal space = more claustrophobia, more stress and tension = more meltdowns!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy a good road trip now and then - I've voiced my fear of flying here many times, but it's obviously ridiculous to drive to LV from NY (33 hours) - but our yearly trip to Chicago - about 9 hour drive? I'll drive. Boston - about 6-7 hour drive? I'll drive.

Hell - I once drove to Orlando FL in a moving truck carrying server equipment - non-stop (2 of us) was about 24 hours. Not horrible and it didn't count against vacation time so it was fine.

As everything else is now a days, I think flying is perceived as a right and not a luxury - no matter how cheap or expensive the ticket it. IMO - flying and vacation is a luxury - if we can afford it, great - otherwise, I'm just as happy sitting at home working on the house or relaxing.

12. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Air travel used to be far more of a luxury. Fewer regional routes.

And there was a lot more built into the ticket price. So airlines could have fewer people (both less crowded cabins, and less sold flights) and still make a buck.

Now there are more airlines and more people flying, but the peak in demand tends to be at the low (bargain hunter) price point. So airlines are trying to fit more people on a flight, only fly routes they can sell out, and looking for other places to make a buck.

There are more fights at Walmart on black friday then there are at Bloomingdale's on a random Wednesday.

Add to that the everyone with a cell camera issue and we get where we are today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do people even have time for road trips anymore?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember when men always wore a suit and tie when traveling on an airliner?

• Love Love x 1
  15. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe in Cary Grant movies. Not in the world of my experience. Corporations are greedy, passengers are stupid and unreasonably demanding, video is everywhere. This stuff is inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. alanleroy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]
    When I started my career, I had an old school boss. He insisted we wear a suit and tie when flying on a business trip...even on weekends. Maybe it's not the airlines that are devolving, but society in general. I blame 'casual Fridays'.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't mind wearing a suit and tie in exchange for a cabin and seats that spacious, and fellow passengers that well groomed and presumably bathed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. alanleroy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear ya. They didn't even use pee cups back in the golden age of passenger airlines.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airlines obviously share some of rhe blame but overall people act like an ass.
    Basic civility is on the decline.
    Im a dinosaur because I still say please and thank you
    (Rant) people dont even attempt to cover mouth or nose when coughing or sneezing. Just encountered it again this morning
    . OHare actually has a recorded announcement looping telling people to cover nose and mouth...sad

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly because we can afford it and don't want to kennel our 13 year old dog for more than 5 nights. I like road trips, but don't have the time. Plus, the older I get, I want to avoid night driving as much as possible. So, no more driving for 18 hours a day.

I told my wife when the dog passes, I have all of these plans for travel outside the USA. Now, after a family member experienced a fatal situation in Cancun, I think all my future travel will be limited to the good old USA, where my health insurance will work if I need a hospital.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.