1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SmarterTravel on in-plane etiquette

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ken2v, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby B

Bobby B Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "I hate people" was my mantra for many years when I did a lot of traveling.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a chatter and do not appreciate chatters trying to chat with me, I am really not interested.. I always try to look like that mofo you do not want mess with on flight. I have never had a problem. Respect my space as I respect yours.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    headphones. Even if you're not listening to anything.

4. lasvg3

lasvg3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I replied to a thread like this, but on a totally different forum. I apologize if it turns out it was this one. I can't find the original thread here which is being referred to, above.

Anyway, being a solitary traveler, I was always in fear of the "being asked to switch" thing. Whenever I flew CO's old "Business First" service, I always selected the same seat, well in advance, for various and sundry reasons. It was a Window seat, and the aisle seat next to me would still be available on flight day, roughly 60-70% of the time. I didn't count on having it empty during the flight (even though it did happen a precious few times), because I figured people would get upgraded from coach. That said, there were a few times where it was a couple that got separated and asked me if I'd switch, and the seat was usually an inferior seat for similar sundry reasons. I don't think I ever gave in. But I had to consider the situation carefully as, more than likely, one of the two I just refused to switch with (usually the male) would be stuck next to me)... not a very pleasant situation for a 9-12 hour flight. Thankfully, there were a couple of times where the 3rd party (i.e. the one sitting next to the other displaced traveler agreed to switch and sit with me so that the couple could sit together. <phew>. Anyway, my fear was always that the couple would complain to the FA to try and force me to move. Either that, or I might be moved for the benefit of a celebrity or VIP. Thankfully, no such celebs or VIPs. Then again, how many celbs flew CO's Business First and not their own chartered aircraft?

That said, if ordered to move by the FA, I would, as long it was a medical or safety emergency. If it were not, and it were for the convenience of another passenger, I'd attempt to negotiate but if ordered, I would do it but I'd make the FA aware of my displeasure. I'd also file a complaint with the front office when I landed.

As for reclining, that would be a matter more in Coach than BC or BF. Because the seats in BC/FC now take that into consideration and don't seem to infringe upon that knee space. But when it was an issue, I always made sure I never fully reclined, although I always believed that I did have the right to recline fully. And I didn't do it while eating, either, even though others did it to me. Again, thankfully, no one employed a "knee defender" on me... <whew> again.

I was never talkative because I never wanted a chatter box next to me either. I used the headphones trick. It worked well, most of the time. Either that, or pretending to fall asleep when not eating/drinking.

Now, the other battle point would be the center arm rest and who had dibs on that. I always made sure I defended my half of it, at least. And if (in coach) someone attempted to raise the armrest so they could infringe upon my space, I quickly put it back down and told them, absolutely not!

I'm sorry, but space on an aircraft is very limited, as is evident by how people try to get more of it by imposing on others. Forgive me if I choose to defend the little space I have. But defend it I will.

5. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This song applies to me. From time to time.

6. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know how I missed this thread before. Since I seem to post bitchy threads about travelers myself. Usually my husband sits by the window. If he boozed it up before we took off he may choose the aisle for easy bathroom access. Lucky for me I have a nurse's bladder and only have to pee once every 12 hours. I will take the aisle and leave the middle seat open. If the FA announces it is a full flight I will scoot to the middle. I hate the middle seat. I always threaten to keep the aisle placing a stranger between us. Main reason the damned man spread. I don't care how thin the man is he has to frog leg in the seat - my husband does the same. And the middle seat gets screwed on the arm rests. The window seat takes one and the aisle seats takes both. Yep middle seat gets screwed. I don't mind if someone talks to me but I don't start the conversation - I don't want to be a bother. My husband can be grouchy and doesn't play well with others. It's best if he doesn't talk to strangers -- unless it's a hot young woman. Than I would have to reel his tongue back in and wipe the drool off.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope I don't get heat for this but......

I secretly wish they had a family ( aka small child/ infant) area on the plane. I would avoid that area like the plague. Having the back of my seat kicked, tapped, pushed, while listening to crying or smelling a dirty diaper, from coast to coast is a travel killer for me.. Just sayin '

Yes, I have children. Yes they are grown. Yes, we traveled when they were younger.

I'm really not a "get off my lawn" person, I'm typically really easy to get on with, but this makes me want to dig out my ear drums and slice my eyeballs.

Girls trip
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No one has asked me to move nor has anyone felt compelled to chat with me.
    I sorta get that whether on a plan or not.
    Maybe its my face tattoo.:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Maybe you have that "DON"T BOTHER ME" type of look, lol. :goofy:

10. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 400 lb person taking 30% of my already limited space is a pet peeve.
    The person walking up the aisle to the restroom that grabs the back of every seat and shakes the shit out of your head is also rude.
    Same thing applies to the person in the row behind me that grabs my seat even if I'm not reclined.
    They usually wait until 5 minutes after I doze off.

11. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the chatterbox jackasses annoy me. not just next to me, but seated anywhere within hearing distance.
    I really want to scream STFU!
    some people don't know the meaning of "use your inside voice".
    and of course, the tanks that feel like they are entitled to more space.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And obnoxious drunks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i've flown for years on business and there are just some situations that defy etiquette, or logic for that matter. I'm "famous" at my company for horrid luck with seatmates. I was once on a small plane, 2 seats each side of the aisle. A businessman (at least he looked the part) sat aisle, I was already in my assigned window seat, flops open his briefcase and whips out a Hustler magazine.....I'm a girl btw. He dramatically opens it to the centerfold.....
    Me: *pushes the flight attendant call button with both hands*
    Pissed Flight Attendant: *slaps off the call button" and growls that we are getting ready to taxi
    Me: I need to change seats now
    Pissed FA: No! We are getting ready to taxi
    Me: *Nods downward toward the Hustler*
    Shocked FA: Sir, please let this young lady out....she's changing seats!

Pretty damn bold lol
    diane

• Wow! Wow! x 4
  14. subafrk

subafrk Longing to be sipping a Scotch at the Cromwell...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had one today. I'm about 6'2 230ish, not necessarily a small guy. I was sitting window, hugging the wall and aisle taken by another guy. A small old guy all of 5' 100lbs sits in the middle and proceeds to manspread all over into my area, and continues to elbow me in the ribs the whole flight. He also brought his own lunch which consisted of a salami sandwich and aparently, a very jucy orange. I've stopped wearing my logo'd work shirt while traveling because I know that one of these days, I'm probably going to lose it and put someone in their place.

Work trip turned long weekend.
    Second part, Downtown.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    back in the day air travel was only for the privileged. my how times have changed.
    you don't have to have any "class" to travel in first class.
    as for coach, well lets just say "class" is hard to find.
    sometimes I feel like a plane full of pigs would not be much different than what we experience today. at least the pigs wouldn't be wearing pajama pants and house slippers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. lasvg3

lasvg3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The one's I hate are those that try to lift up the armrest in coach so they can man/woman spread. I flip it down, quickly, pissing them off, I know, but....

At least it will keep them from being a "chatterbox..." :D

17. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wouldn't it be cool if it were more like a wall. hehehe

18. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There totally needs to be a divider!! I was in middle, husband aisle. Large woman sits window, takes up about 1/4 of my seat. Arm rest is behind her back. Complained to Delta. I figure, they won't do anything if people don't complain. I got 9k FF miles. A nice gesture. I would have preferred to have my personal space in the Delta Comfort seat, though!! I agree with a previous poster. They need to have people go through a space getting on the plane. If they can't fit, they need to buy an extra seat or a first class seat.

19. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Air Asia now even has the slogan "Now everyone can fly"....
    Ain't that great...?!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. lasvg3

lasvg3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nah.... just make the armrest "locked/fixed" so that it can't lift up... Like it was in Business/First on CO. Not without FA intervention, at least, to unlock it. This, just in case you might actually *want* to share the space with a worthy seatmate... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.