1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SmarterTravel on in-plane etiquette

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ken2v, Apr 23, 2019.

1. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had poor airplane etiquette recently when I flew back from Miami and the night before I drank bourbon and smoked at a cigar lounge and didn't get enough sleep and my Uber driver drove too aggressively to the airport and when I got out of the car I got a little sick and I had throw up on my shirt and the person next to me wanted to chat and I felt bad and I am sorry to them I am very sorry.

2. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally don't mind switching seats but then again I'm an airline employee and fly free so I really have nothing to complain about. Usually it's a lateral move so it's the same anyway. I never recline either so limited recline doesn't bother me. The only time it's been an issue was I was assigned a seat in economy plus and some guy was already sitting in my seat when I got on and said he wanted to sit next to his family. I had him moved mostly because he was already sitting in my seat without the courtesy to ask first. Then I saw him walk back to his middle seat in coach. Yeah that's going to be a no from me. I think what happened was they were in basic economy and he got assigned a seat in the back and was trying to poach an upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Yeah, this makes me think of another pet peeve of mine...people who complain just because they know it'll get them an upgrade or special treatment. Stop milking the cow people and get what you paid for. Those sorts of people really irritate me!

Art of the Wild
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amen on those ALWAYS looking to turn anything into something. Grow up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm absolutely amazed at some of the things people complain about. On a slow day I'll read through peoples records just to see what I can find and I can't believe some of the things people get mad about. To those wondering yes everything is documented. One time a guy had a laundry list of things in his record. Long story short he would check the most ridiculous item (ie: items that would get stuck in TSA or the belt system...yes he knew) and then when it didn't arrive complain that it didn't arrive claim it had vital mediation in it. The time I was reading it he checked an empty blender cup. And yes he complained. Eventually he got cut off from any compensation and I wouldn't be surprised if he was banned from flying the airline entirely.

• Like Like x 1
  6. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a semi-related question for you, if you don't mind:
    How do you handle over-sized passengers...those that cannot entirely fit within a single seat & would "spill" over into somebody else's seat?
    Does your airline simply permit this or do they actually require a two-seat purchase from these passengers?... and if the purchase is required, how does the airline determine if it's necessary?

I would think that this would be near the top of "most-frequently-received" passenger complaints - having to "share" their seat with another passenger!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I get the frustration. Thankfully it's such a rare issue (at least for me...almost a million miles flown in the past 5 years and very rarely do I have someone who encroaches in my space). Take this with a grain of salt because I actually work in a dungeon reuniting people with their missing/delayed luggage so I don't have first hand experience. But our official policy is that we don't require anyone to purchase an extra seat, but if the flight is full they will be asked to take a later flight if they can't fit in the seat. Or they can upgrade to first class if they choose.

8. MCann

MCann High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On an American east coast to Vegas flight this past January, we were on an oversold plane in economy (haven't flown economy since! They were horrible!), and they made an announcement about 3x during boarding that everyone needed their seat belt fastened, to let them know if they needed an extension, and that if they couldn't properly close it with an extension in place, they needed to get off the plane and see the gate agent for re-booking, where they may be required to purchase a second seat.

Guess who sat right next to me in the aisle seat? A woman who got the extension, couldn't close it, but tucked both ends under her hanging gut and got away with it. As soon as we were out of the climb, she put her tray down, covered it with snacks out of some apparently magic bag that had room for a never-ending supply of food, ate a bunch, then passed out with her tray still down and covered with half eaten food. She actually didnt make me too physically uncomfortable until you count how bad I had to pee from mimosas, but couldn't get out until I finally couldn't wait any longer and woke her up and asked her to clean up and let me out. She was nice though and just barely big enough she was supposed to have 2 seats or 1st class per American's policy.

But to answer your question, that was the policy they announced but then didn't really enforce on a sold out flight. Had I ratted her out, I imagine they might have taken her off the plane, as she did not at any time have a fastened seat belt. They busted her at first departure check, but she said yah it won't fit I need the extension, and then they apparently didn't check again after bringing her one.

Not saying not to a free fountain view suite to kick off Thanksgiving!
    Presidential Suite for the holiday woohoo!
  9. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems to me that an effective way to actually do this would be to have a "seat-sizer" at the gate (like they use for carry-ons)... if it's a large passenger, have them sit in the "sizer" and buckle-up before letting them board... if they can't (or refuse) sell them a second (middle) seat or a first-class seat. If it's assigned seating, move the displaced middle-seat passenger to another seat...he won't mind - it's far better than the alternative would have been!
    "What if the passenger is already assigned to a middle-seat?"
    Then sell him the window seat & upgrade the window guy who is displaced to any open First Class seat.

10. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...as for SW?
    Let these over-sized passengers board first, with the understanding that they must sit in the back 2 or 3 rows...and take a window. If they're traveling with someone, that person can sit in that aisle seat. If there's middle seat open anywhere else on the plane, any other passengers will gladly choose it rather than that half-sized middle-seat in the back of the plane.
    Flight completely sold out (including that half-sized middle seat in the back of the plane)? A passenger will have to be bumped. Ask for volunteers, as is normally done. If an involuntary bump becomes necessary, sorry - but the guy using up two seats needs to be bumped....unless he PAID for both of those seats!

11. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That’s a bad idea.....

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
  12. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]
    Recognize this guy? :eek:

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    So here's what we need:

A girthomoter for the largos.
    A breathalyzer for the drunks.
    A stench-sniffing dog for the hygiene-challenged.
    A psych analysis for those likely to go on tilt.
    A TSA-line scanner that zaps all olfactorily offensive foods.
    A doctor's cert for pets vs. service animals.
    And for grins let's start enforcing the carry-on regs.

Don't worry, loading won't take that much longer because 73% of the passengers on the manifest will be DQd.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reading some comments in this thread, and the other thread on pet peeves made me decide to just buy a window seat with more leg room. I have only had one troublesome seating arrangement and when I booked I thought, naw, I'm good, it won't happen again. But screw it. I'm not taking that chance!

15. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a 3XL guy, no seat extender, I always upgrade to an exit row. More room for me and my seat mates plus I will be the first one off the aircraft in cause of an emergency. Not a hero!:wink2:

16. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This situation irritated me my last flight..

This was on AA... which to remind you has, economy vs preferred seating.

Husband/Boyfriend, Wife/Girlfriend seated. About mid plane (Row 20 something)
    Husband, window. Wife, middle.

Another Guy, single traveler...attempts to take his seat which actually was where the wife above was seated. She says something like...”Can we switch? You can have my window seat it’s 8A?”

The single traveler obliged, but now had the struggle of making his way back to the front of the plane, row 8 or whatever. He handled this way better than I would have.

My irritation is...
    A.) the Wife/Girlfriend just basicslly assumed the other guy was going to be cool with the switch. If not, then there is awkward two hours of sitting next to her now possibly angry husband/bf.

On AA, you can sit wherever you want, but you may have to pay for this arrangement. So if sitting together is important to you, plan better and/or pay for it.

B.) The poor single traveler (who was not small by the way) had to make his way back to the front of the plane to take her seat. And as a matter of principal...maybe minutes, or even just seconds why does everyone else’s travel have to be delayed because of this idiot wife/GF? Fly Southwest.

What if everyone did this? This kind of thing does create delays, and inconvenience for others. IMO, the FAs should of been involved, but since there is no conflict there is no issue.

I just cringe at traveling, because some people are inconsiderate idiots.

17. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I am sure he wasn't referencing anyone on this board who had a recent experience:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terribly, terribly rude. It is the assumption that would have caused me to say get the F outta my seat dickhead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Vegas24_7

Vegas24_7 Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my peeves is when you sit next to someone who doesn't take turns to use the armrest with you. As we all know, there is only one arm rest between seats (in coach) and it is really challenging for both passengers to use it at the same time. So take turns. The worst is when that person puts his/her arm and elbow on top of yours, lol. One time I had someone who hogged it the entire 10 hour flight when flying between Shanghai to Vancouver and to top it off, he picked his nose regularly. Sigh.

I also sat behind someone who puked all over the seat in front when the plane was taxiing away from the gate leaving Vegas. The plane had to stop and go back to the gate to let this passenger off. Delayed the flight for about an hour. I tried my best to hide behind the seat so I didn't have to see it but that smell was unavoidable. Good thing I wasn't drinking the night before or that smell could've got me going as well. :vomit:

20. judy

judy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes I hate people.