1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Smart Phone purchase advice needed.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long story, but after our experience in Dallas, we have decided we need at least one smart phone to replace one of our flip phones. So I need some advise from you savvy smart phone users.

Because my wife has a iPad and an mini iPad, it seems her devices would all sync up, so we are leaning towards an iPhone.

We have a friend who has an iPhone 6s plus that he will sell to us for $500. That doesn't seem like a "friend" price. I went to the T Mobile site and can get a 6s with a 2 year contract, for $785 total. It includes free data and time. $175 up front and then ~$28 per month for 2 years.

So, let me hear some opinions.

2. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We paid about $700 for unlocked iPhone 6s's. our bill for three devices is $180, $60 base price and $40 per line unlimited everything. If I understand correctly you are paying about $850 for the phone through T-mobile and free service I would go that way. but check on how much free Data and phone you get before they charge you,

Geez maybe time for me to change services

Fall Spectacular...
  3. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    or you could go the cheap android phone that several give away for free and $30 a month plan. No contract, so if you want to upgrade to iPhone later, no problem

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And unless you need loads of data, watch movies, play lots of games, load a zillion apps. A basic smart phone will do most things. Mine is $30 wife $600. I am happy with mine. Get at least 16G of storage , but you can add sd cards(not on iPhone) for extra storage

5. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both times that looks like too much for a 6s

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And Ipad and Ipad Mini seem to be redundant. But...

I would consider the 6 or 6s. and not the plus.

Are you paying for cellular access on either ipad or only wifi?

That price for a used 6s is a bit high. You should be able to do better.

The fact that you/she is already using Apple OS - I would seriously suggest staying with Iphone to reduce the learning curve.

7. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am on sprint and I lease my phone for 27 bucks a month. After that my service is 42 bucks a month for unlimited talk text and web. so about 70 bucks a month.. which is quite a bit but I also get a new phone each year so I wilways have the latest lol, and you never know when you might need to look something up ( car towing place, nearest hospital) etc..

You could look into getting your ipads onto a 4g network and "bundling" that with a phone as well. My mom does that and her iPad essentially gets unlimited "data" so anywhere she has cell service, she can use the internet on it.
    you could potentially just buy data for your ipad to and keep your flip phones too

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I passed-out when I read Joe's getting a smartphone!!! Now I'll be able to text him!!! HA!!! I have a 6splus and LOVE it. While it took a bit getting used to grasping the larger device, I enjoy the extra room it gives my fat fingers to text and navigate the web on it. I have an IPad as well and almost never pick it up; I've gotten so used to the phone. I wonder what nostress doesn't like about the plus? It must be the size.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, no, you'll be able to text my wife. I'm sticking with my flip phone for now.

Small aside...we both have Virgin Mobile accounts that cost us $7 per month. The money each month goes towards the 18 cents a minute in phone charges. If you don't use it, it just accumulates. So, I called VM to see if I could get any of that money transfered to my VM account ($213). No, unless the account is closed.

Now I call T Mobile and they offer me a $150 gift card for switching, but it must be an active account I am switching from. Well I really have no use for an additional $213 in my account since I currently have $230 in there that I will never use. So, taking the $150 card and losing $63. I called, I whined, I got escalated, but VM wouldn't budge.

10. Joejoejackson

Joejoejackson The Max Bet King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go check out best buy Joe. They sell a ton of phones and half time your deal is better than a carrier over the phone just a thought

11. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Consumer Cellular might be worth checking out also.

12. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stick with iPhone since your wife already knows how to use it. You can go a generation older and get the 6. My wife loves
    her 6 plus.

13. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would go with the 7 or 7 plus. It's not much extra and you'll have the latest phone. That's if you budget allows it, which I'm sure it does if your wife has 2 iPads.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard some people have problems with that carrier in Vegas.

15. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. But then, I'm an Apple junkie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that sounds like sound advice if you want to keep it simple

17. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're heart is set on T-mobile, look at the iPhone SE. Smaller phone and much cheaper than the iPhone 6 on T-Mobile's site.

18. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here. It's funny that some people are giving advice to save money without knowing the OP's budget. Personally I wouldn't go with a cheap android phone. Their slow and sluggish.

19. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 6s+ and love it. We are Apple house so it made sense several years back for me to make the switch to an iPhone. It is great when you can easily set up both your iPad and smartphone to store new pics (etc) to the iCloud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my gosh Joe, I about fell off my chair when I read this too!

Even though you're buying a smartphone, I don't think you'll need all the bells and whistles a $600 phone has.

Definitely go for a name brand (lg, samsung, etc.), but a more basic model. Apple works too if you get an older/more basic version, I just dont like not having a replacable battery.

I'd get a slightly older version, but new phone.
    (Avoid refurbished... been there, done that, too many have crudded out on me.)

LG has some affordable options, and they're good phones. Plus I let the early adopters get all the glitches and instead buy the phones once "the kinks have been worked out". :) lg has a k10 that's about 144$ total or 6 bucks a month on tmobile...decent reviews.

Just go with a basic, recognized brand smart phone that just gives you bluetooth, Internet and phone. You want quality, but no point paying for features you won't use. For a more basic model, you can get one for under $10
    Extra a month, or free. (You you can still do a pay as you go smart phone, and just use it on vacations...or until you find you use a smart phone enough to fully commit.)

Also, don't get sucked into a pricy data plan if you're not going to be a heavy user. Just set the phone to piggyback on wifi whenever possible. I'm only on a 2 GB plan doing it this way, and I use the Internet a lot.

Uber....meet Joe...Joe, meet uber...you can now be friends :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.