1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Slot machine odds

Discussion in 'Slots' started by may24, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. may24

may24 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know about the RNG's and how slots work but I have never seen anything, even estimates on what the odds are to hit the jackpot or a bonus round.
    For example, is there any way to find out or know what the odds are on a 3 line 25 cent machine to hit the $2,500 jackpot? 1-25,000 spins? more?
    For bonus rounds I know some machine hit the bonus much easier than others.

I am just curious, thanks.

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately it's very machine dependent. And that data (written on a document called a "PAR sheet") is never publicly released. Sometimes some of this data leaks out. For example, the odds of hitting the Double Diamond Deluxe jackpot is 1 in 46,656. But Lucky Larry's Lobstermania is 1 in 8,107,500 on a single line bet (no one really bets one line though).

Those numbers came from this paper that discusses how slots work and their psychological effects.
    http://www.nh.gov/gsc/calendar/documents/20091117_harrigan_dixon.pdf

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Might exist, but would vary highly by machine and the settings.

Lets take your example of a $.25 machine, playing $.75 per spin.
    And, for this discussion, assume it has one payout - $2,500. No little payouts at all.
    And, say it has a 10% hold meaning it will take in $2,750 for every $2,500 it pays out.
    Therefore, you would have to play $2,750 before you hit the jackpot. (3,667 spins)

Of course, since it is random, you might hit after $50 or even go $5,000 before it hits and then watch the next player hit it twice in 10 minutes. LOL!

But, over the long haul, it would take in $2,750 for every $2,500 it pays out.

BACK TO REALITY....

It will also pay out lots other wins like 2 coins, 10 coins, 100 coins, etc wins along the way. So, it will take even more spins (over the long haul) before the $2,500 hits.

As to the newer machines with all kinds of bonus rounds, I think the operator can select a higher or lower amount of small wins on a per machine basis - but I do not KNOW that for sure. It does have to work out mathematically to meat the same hold. The more that it pays the smaller wins means longer(less times) the bigger win will hit.

4. GrPa

GrPa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the link tringlomane.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dex844

dex844 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Wizard of Odds site is another good resource.

I like to use video poker as a comparison because all the odds are known. Typically, a royal flush jackpot pays 800:1, occurring every 40k hands on average, and returning 2% of accumulated coin-in.

For a slot machine with an 800:1 jackpot, I would guesstimate a similar 40k spin jackpot frequency. But you're talking about a much more substantial 3333:1 jackpot, which requires an increase of either the spins per occurrence, or the % of coin-in allocated to the jackpot payout.

Therefore I would guess the 3333:1 jackpot will require more than 100k spins, on average.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.