1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

sketchy hertz upgrade strategy?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by random512, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random512

random512 Low-Roller

Have you ever reserved a car through Hotwire for Hertz @ the LV airport and sensed some sketchiness with your default car?

For example, I reserved a full size car through Hotwire for Hertz and the guy at the counter told me that they had very limited options so I took a 2015 Chevy Impala that they had available. However, when I got outside to the car to note scratches, the car looked like it had been previously rented by Jack the Ripper:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnavyowraa5ts8t/File%20Mar%2005%2C%201%2007%2034%20AM.jpeg?dl=0

It seems that this may be a part of a sketchy upgrade strategy on the part of Hertz.
    Driving such a f*cked up car would put a dent (or scratch) in the average adult's Vegas weekend so most adults wouldn't have a problem paying to upgrade to a better car.

This was the most beat up rental car I've ever seen and they seemed to have at least a few dozen cars on the lot so I'm guessing that this is part of their business strategy. Have you ever had a similar experience at Hertz?

2. fischer

fischer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe just the nature of the beast.. Dollar minivan had dings and scratches all over it, they called for another car, this one just as bad, they asked if we wanted another one said "Nah". Figured they would just about all be the same.

3. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why would that damper your weekend? I wouldn't care as long as I noted all the marked areas. If anything it gives you leeway if someone should happen to add more marks to the same areas

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, I would be pissed if it were my personal car, but it's a rental! If you got something pristine and some unthinking mouth breather opened the door of his sh!tbox into your rental, then you'd have some 'splainin to do upon return.

5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take pics of everything and you're fine. If the inside is clean that's all that really matters.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always be sure to check your "turn-in receipt" as well... 2 out of the last 4 times (since beginning of February) I've used Hertz, I've received something called Premium Road Side Assistance ($17.98) on my 2-day rental tab. The person who checks the car in says I must have "opted in for that at the counter", but I'm a Gold member and don't go to the counter, I just find my name on the board and go to the vehicle. I called and the Hertz phone rep apologizes and again states, "I must have opted in for that at the counter" and I go thru the same thing. I should have 2 credits out there in cyber-space, but as yet haven't posted to my card.

• Like Like x 1
  7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

You need to check your rental agreement with a fine toothed comb BEFORE you leave the counter and take possession of your rental. It isn't only Hertz, I've gotten those extra charges with Dollar, Thrifty and Budget so it's not just a Hertz thing. It comes under different names, from a daily lockout fee (supposedly they will come to you if you get locked out, what a scam!) to a "maintenance" fee.

The one thing I note is if the price of the rental is different than my price quote (when I reserved the car) then I will check the bill because I know they tacked on some kind of bogus charge. When I first started renting I was under the impression (from the clerks) that these were just regular charges but I have learned that what you are quoted is what you are supposed to pay. Anything different is just another bogus tacked on charge. That's why I ALWAYS make a copy of my reservation so I know exactly how much I am supposed to pay. Sometimes the clerk will try to rush and get you to leave the counter before you realize you've been charged extra but if my bill is different than my reservation amount I will stay at the counter and go through all charges until I find that bogus charge.

As for the condition of the cars, I have encountered many bad cars in the last 25 years that I rented. One car had a bumper that fell off when I left the lot. Another had a rear view mirror fall off. Another car the passenger side door wouldn't open, seemed that the door was bent a certain way that prevented the door from opening. Again these happened with cars from different agencies, Dollar, Advantage, Alamo, etc. I think most agencies have these types of problems once and a while. No problem, I just take the car back and ask for another rental.

8. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's an Impala, who the hell are you trying to impress, especially in Vegas?

9. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

I don't that's the point. I certainly wouldn't expect some beat up piece of shit. Personally, I would have demanded a better car. Doesn't matter that the car doesn't meet your standards of a "worthy" car.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.