1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sight for sore eyes! COVID Vaccine!

Discussion in 'Coronavirus in Las Vegas' started by mescalita, Dec 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fudgewapner

fudgewapner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They were talking about this last week on the local news. Quite honestly, teachers are probably more deserving than I am, and I was a bit concerned that they were gonna pull the rug out just as my age was supposed to open up. Much of the frustration had to do with not knowing, and some of this was not knowing if they were gonna change the rules in the middle of the game before I was at bat.

I have NEVER looked forward to getting a shot, and I've never been so eager to get a shot as I am now![/QUOTE]

It was heartening to see so many giddy teachers today, of all ages. I have a few friends who work in smaller districts/charter schools that went back to in-person learning before the vaccine was available for teachers. Glad to see the massive teacher population now has access, which also improves the odds my kids can return to school at some point!

• Like Like x 2
  2. gs32794

gs32794 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

A friend and I have been bemoaning people "cutting line". Until this week when availability expanded and we got them and ourselves scheduled, we had been diligently checking for appointments for her mother and another friend's father, both in their late 80s, to no avail. (My father was vaccinated because he lives in the state veterans home.)

Meanwhile, people we know who don't qualify ( them telling me directly " I have a friend who's a doctor that hooked me up" and "It's for 75+, but sign up anyway") were getting shots and posting pics of their CDC cards on Facebook.

Kudos to you @fudgewapner and others who play by the rules.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! What a difference a weekend makes! From talking to folks my age this morning, it looks like the log-jam upstream has just broken! Some of my same-age cohorts got appointments TOMORROW, and that was for signing up within the last few hours. I haven't talked to anyone from the Iowa side yet, but here in the metro area counties on the Nebraska side, things are moving!

I have an appointment for Thursday, which I jumped on yesterday, but I could actually get one tomorrow at one of the Tuesday shot clinics that have opened. I'll keep the appointment I have.

I hope that things are starting to get easier for those in other locations who have had issues getting appointments for shots!

• Like Like x 3
  4. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The J&J vaccine is going out, hopefully more appointments will open up.
    (The vaccine is "on trucks as we're talking," Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky said Monday on NBC's "TODAY" show.)

There was a vaccination event downtown over the weekend here, good to see as distribution has been pretty inequitable in our state.

5. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i'm 48 hours out from getting my first dose and the anticipation is roughly the same as when i'm 48 hours out from hopping on a flight to vegas.

irony of irony - they say it takes about 10 days from the time you receive it for the vaccine to begin offering protection. 10 days from the day i'm getting my shot will be one year to the day since our offices closed down (and have yet to officially reopen)

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. Raven888

Raven888 Watanabe wannabe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got Moderna and was told that 10 days after the first shot you're 50% protected.

And then I guess the second one is like 90-95% or something??

7. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct but I would add 10 days to 2 weeks after the second dose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on tap for 3/26. This month!

Glad to see progress with appointments being made; keeping at it for those with barriers.

• Like Like x 2
  9. gs32794

gs32794 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The same here in VA. Walgreens started giving vaccinations last Thursday. Until then it was just state events or CVS. Checking multiple times day and night, there were never slots available at either one. Now, CVS and Walgreens periodically show availability here. Hopefully with Johnson & Johnson, eligible people will be able to easily schedule.

EDIT: I posted an article with some tips for getting a vaccination appointment. Hope this can help.
    https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/wsj-article-how-to-get-a-vaccine-appointment-tech-tips.181653/#post-2178042

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  10. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am running into that, too. I am scheduled for my first shot tomorrow, but I want to move it to Thursday (in case of side effects.. and because my second shot is scheduled the day before Opening Day). I can get that first shot rescheduled, but not the second one... so I am keeping the first one and will try to reschedule the second one later this week.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  11. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I may have my first poke this Friday. I am on a waiting list at a Family Healthcare Clinic, so if they run out of people to poke and do not want "leftover" vaccines laying around, I will get a call.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Allee

Allee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is what they did at the vaccine PODs I worked at. Once the vaccines are at the distribution site they cannot be taken back. They either need used or thrown out (which is not even an option in my opinion). We were able to call in and vaccinate 30+ people from the back up list each day.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really? I’d drive 500 miles for an appointment in the middle of the night if it was an option smh

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without sharing the details, I know someone who DID drive 500 miles for her shot!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mom got her second Moderna shot this morning. :woohoo:

My group is still next, but I got a zillion different messages about availability for appointments. All I need is for them to call my group. The waiting is difficult.

They are looking at making a mass vaccination site at the Seahawks Stadium (whatever they call that place now). I talked about it with Dan over coffee this morning and I think I should sign up for notifications for there too. It's a masked and distanced ferry ride and a bit of a walk, but at this point, I'd crawl through broken glass for a shot, so... :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 6
  16. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Moderna

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  17. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pandemic will probably be over by the time I’m scheduled.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hang in there; I’m in Ontario too and feel the frustration.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I completely understand your point of view, and I am incredibly lucky to be in a place to have gotten an appointment on Day 2 of my eligibility. But that second shot appointment... I mean... Opening Day... Priorities, you know?

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    May reservations are going out the window....3rd cancellation already. I think more of us might be celebrating at Cosmo during Christmas...LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.