1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sight for sore eyes! COVID Vaccine!

Discussion in 'Coronavirus in Las Vegas' started by mescalita, Dec 29, 2020.

1. rdwoodpecker

rdwoodpecker High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went in for my second shot yesterday. Arm was a bit sore last night but, really stiff this am. Feeling pretty much normal now. Did not plan too work today, that was a good thing.

• Love Love x 2
  2. SAll11

SAll11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations to everyone who has got their shots. As a younger member of this board it will still be some time for me but glad to see so many people receiving theirs. I’m hoping to get mine by May.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. claysp42

claysp42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got my second Moderna shot on Tuesday afternoon...I ended up having a sore arm, headache, fatigue, and body aches. I felt better approximately 48 hours after receiving the shot.

NFL Wildcard Weekend at Bally's
    • Like Like x 2
  4. donfairplay

donfairplay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought this was a refreshing article in the Wall Street Journal (possibly paywalled, see if your library has an online database subscription) about the technologically savvy young people helping out older generations. Some of the volunteers say that random old people just come to them asking for help in securing vaccine appointments.

There was also a comment on the article about what it is like these days: The Hunger Games meets Ticketmaster

How to Score a Vaccine Appointment: Recruit a College Kid with Tech Skills and Patience
    Young volunteers are helping seniors wrangle time slots in a bewildering field of online portals and limited supplies

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2nd Moderna shot was this past Tuesday evening at 7pm (male, 37). Sore shoulder started within a couple hours, stronger than the first shot, but wouldn't describe the pain as more than moderate. (Mild sore shoulder was my only side effect from the first shot.)

The next morning I felt more fatigued than usual, but fairly decent overall. The second half of the day, afternoon into evening, I ran a low grade fever (99 on the infrared forehead scan, which equals roughly 99.5 - 100 for oral temp) and had the chills whenever I wasn't under a blanket. Arm still pretty sore as well, and had general muscle aches throughout my body....basically felt like a mild flu. No headache or stomach issues.

Thursday was back to just slightly fatigued, fever and chills were gone, shoulder pain had improved. Friday pretty much back to normal, and shoulder soreness almost completely gone.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tsou89

tsou89 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Due to an awful 2 weeks of weather they opened up vaccinations to anyone who could get to the site. My wife and I (55/50 YO) got an appointment and got our 1st Pfizer shot last Saturday. Shot #2 on March 6th!

Since I’m a teacher I was supposed to get the shot at the end of February. I jumped on this opportunity though.

Props to the Staff and volunteers at Mercy Hospital in OKC. Very organized. Kept everyone warm despite single digit temperatures. The entire process took less than 45 minutes! Quite impressive!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Allee

Allee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update: just got back from first dose of moderna. The Cleveland Department of Health is running a tight ship and the process was very smooth. Barely felt the shot. So far no effects, I feel great. Next dose in 4 weeks.

Attempting to manifest a December trip!
    • Like Like x 3
  8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm still guardedly optimistic that I will be able to sign up for my first shot on Monday.

However, our local media (which is normally as accurate as a stopped clock, indeed accurate by coincidence twice a day) is reporting that they are yet again dorking around with the eligibility. The report is that they are pushing back some of the underlying conditions, but each report of game-playing like this concerns me that the rug will be pulled out from me and others in my age group right before we should have been eligible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here in DC, they recently announced that people ages 16-64 would be eligible for the vaccine on March 1 IF they met certain health conditions. Some of those conditions were obvious, but one in particular was called into question. The District decided that anyone with a BMI over 30 would be included among this group on grounds of "obesity". So I, 6'1", 228 lbs., counted in this group despite 46" shoulders and a 34" waistline. Not exactly skinny, but I don't believe someone with those numbers is corpulent and in immediate need of a COVID vaccine on those grounds.

Nevertheless, you can believe I logged into my doctor's office website and made an appointment for 3/1/21 at 9:15 am, lest they have walk-ins who get it and the office runs out of their supply later in the day.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welp, the never-ending saga continues ...

My age group was supposed to open up in our county this morning, and I've been checking the web sites off and on over the weekend, and they were still saying that yes, Feb 22 is the target date, until this morning when this message appeared:
    Oh well, at least they have a semi-valid excuse this week and I guess I can live with it. :(

11. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here in Edinburgh, UK, my wife and I get our first shot in 2 days time ( both in our mid-late 50’s, much quicker than we thought it would be. However, my sister in laws twins, aged only 18 have their first shots on Thursday!? Seems unbelievable as neither has any health conditions, very strange!

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. SAll11

SAll11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well J&J executive said they expect to deliver 20 million shots in March to the US. Between The three that should be approved by the end of this month that means we should have enough to vaccinate at least 130 million people by the end of March. April and May should we should see the US starting to get back to normal as we will probably have more shots available then people who want it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. topcard

topcard Vegas Has Re-Opened!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK... got the 2nd Moderna on Saturday... no arm pain, but I've been told that I talked in my sleep most of the night... so, that's new.
    On Sunday, I was running a 100F fever, and yesterday that had dropped to 99.
    Back to my 'normal' this morning, at 97.7.

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :woohoo:

20210223_170459.jpg

RICHARD

• Like Like x 11
    • Love Love x 4
  15. Headache 21

Headache 21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I become eligible on Monday for the first time. Now i just have to worry a our getting a damn appointment!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife caught a break.

She works from home (and when at work, she is an office worker), however her company that brokers/imports barely and malts it for beer has notified her that since her company is in agriculture, it is an Essential Business and she is eligible for the vaccine right now.

Her appointment is Friday afternoon and her second shot is has already been scheduled.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    MJ's going to the Super Bowl (in Vegas)
    USBC Nationals, my portion
    • Like Like x 7
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  17. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So...I had no idea when I made the first post on this thread that we would get to hear about everybody’s experiences with the vaccine. Thanks to all who have shared!

I’m lucky enough to have a friend in emergency management/homeland security in Austin/Travis County. He set me up to help test out their vaccination website. They needed 1B folks from surrounding counties to participate. It went well and I got my appointment - but when they opened up the registration website to the public the next day it crashed immediately.
    My appointment had only a minor change, so Jan 16 I got my first Moderna shot. Very mild side effects, only a little fatigue.

I was scheduled for second dose on Feb 13. Unfortunately our crazy winter storm began that day with freezing rain and sleet, so sites were shut down. They tried another appointment for Feb 19, but poor travel conditions forced another shutdown. Finally got my second Moderna poke on Sunday. Definitely a stronger reaction this time - rough time sleeping Sunday night, chills, fatigue, and some muscle aches on Monday. But woke up this morning feeling great.

Kudos to Austin/Travis County for very efficient and well organized vaccination sites - less than thirty minutes at each appointment for me. A bunch of friendly folks directing traffic, helping with paperwork, and popping the needle in. Smooth sailing....

Best of luck to everybody - Vegas is calling all of our names!

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I had our first shots today, both Pfizer, which we were pleased about, because we had heard that in Scotland, no-one has reported side effects from Pfizer but many have experienced discomfort from the Oxford Astra Zeneca one. Even the nurse who gave us our jabs admitted she had been given the Oxford one and woke up at night , unable to find her kitchen! In our books that would be a serious crisis!
    The second jabs were originally to be given 3 weeks after, but now told it could be up to 3 months.

20. elbee309

elbee309 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubby and I got out second shots on Monday (Pfizer) and had no side effects except for a very sore arm for a couple days (I also was tired the next afternoon but a nap took care of it) Our son who has Down Syndrome got his second dose last week (Moderna) and didn't have any side effects either so I guess we're lucky. Looking forward to returning to a somewhat normal life but probably won't get to go to Vegas until next fall or so.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2