1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sick of Construction

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by sammasseur, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know when the construction on Fremont for the zip line is supposed to be finished? The 4 Queens is trying to entice me to visit this summer, but I may have to spend those days on the Strip or maybe even off-Strip if downtown is still going to be torn up.

2. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heh heh, I needed that on a crappy cold Friday morning. Thanks! :thumbsup:

3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read an article that said the new zip line would be complete by late June.

I was in Vegas last week, and they still have a long way to go. I'm returning July 7, hope it's all done by then, but I doubt it.

4. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there last week, and it was really only "bad" in the gap between the canopy and East Fremont...they have everyone funneled into very tiny walkways - so small that one must adjust one's stroll when encountering on-coming fellow gamblers.

Annual Spring Trip!
  5. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Consider the POV of all the hundreds of rooms directly above the construction, which starts at 7am. Most Vegas visitors stay up at least a little late and want to sleep in reasonably later as well. Then the jackhammers and heavy equipment kick in at sunrise. Yeah, that isn't cool.

I live in a once-quiet, once-rural area, and in the past two months four houses have begun construction immediately around mine - one behind me and three directly out my front door. My house is surrounded by mud, filth, shouting workers, trucks, flatbeds, bulldozers, and every conceivable kind of noise from 7 am to 5 pm. Then I went to Vegas last month and encountered the same thing during my "escape". Hence my reason for starting this thread.

Early this morning:

My front....three houses being built at once

[​IMG]

...and out back...the one to the right with the trampoline was just built, too....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah now I understand. I moved into a place with an old shopping mall nearby. Cute market, little shops, etc. About 2 weeks after we moved in I heard a terrible noise. The flattened it and for months after that it seemed like an endless sound of jackhammers and whatever that awful thing that drives posts into the ground is called. I call it CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG... because that's what echoed inside my head.

It's easy to let the construction get you down. One night while we were walking that Flamingo-Harrah's gauntlet, I yelled out, "Where the hell are we!?" because I totally lost my bearings. :haha: But the brief section of air conditioning was nice.

I didn't get downtown last trip (because of some day-drunk crybabies who decided they were tired :wink2:) but I've seen lots of pictures and video of the mess from the construction down there. I agree that they are probably trying to get it all done before summer travel season.

Have you tried the off strip properties? Maybe it's time for you to check some of them out and take a break from the crazy.

7. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you understand and can relate to my situation, Sonya. It can sound like "whining" to a person who isn't experiencing it day in and day out. But it is just miserable.

Well, I'm already locked in at a great rate at Fremont for July 2-6 but will be sure to ask for a room at the far end. After that, I'm doing Gold Coast in August and El Cortez in September. After that, yeah, it's gotta be away from the chaos. I'll be listening to it all summer in my house.

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand Sam. I live in a small corner house in an older neighbourhood. A few years ago they ripped up the street along side us to upgrade sewer and water lines. It started May 1st and continued until the frost hit in October. They had to come back in the spring to finish some things up.

The noise would start at 630am because the guys would gather around...on the corner...in front of my bedroom window. Nice guys but most of them deaf as rocks. So they'd "chat" with each other over coffee before starting work. The actual work would start at 7am on the dot and go on until dark. At the time I only worked 2 days a week and those 2 days were from home. I was sleep deprived and my nerves were shattered. It's not what you go on vacation for.

I still say the Boulder Strip might be worth checking out. No glamour or glory in it but you're a man of adventure. I know Dewey used to try to string together some offers and cheap/free nights along the Boulder Highway as filler.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sam, why don't you just change things up until your Vegas returns? Try another part of town, check out Reno or Tahoe, pop over the Cascades and spend a getaway hiking and kayaking and slurping Cascade Lakes' brews, tear up San Francisco, at least for one of your many getaways.

I both do and don't empathize with new construction, and mostly don't because lamenting it reeks of nimby-ism. We have friends in the development down the hill from us. There's an undeveloped parcel next to them that is going through annexation and final environmental and land-use approvals (an EIR for 10+ acres and 30+ houses, really?). That neighborhood is up in arms, wanting the land to remain undeveloped. WTF? Now I'm usually a bit more left than right when it comes to land-use decision-making, but I'm also not an ideologue. Why should that property owner -- who coincidentally built the homes on one-time vacant land that the complainants now live in -- be held hostage to their desire to maintain a viewshed and have no more neighbors? Did they not read their title disclosures when they purchased? Were they not at all curious as to what was going on with a perfectly situated hunk of barren land adjacent to their homes, with other tracts adjoining or approved?

Anywho, city or county is sounds like you need to get in touch with planning to see what type of timing restrictions were placed on the map or build permits. The horses might all be out of the barn this time but if you have open space remaining near you it would behoove you to get a bit active in the local scene.

We live in northern Santa Barbara County. Northern is the key. Those of us who live in unincorporated areas or who have financial interests in property in unincorporated areas are held hostage by the anti-property-rights rich conservatism that is part and parcel of the city of Santa Barbara and those from down that way who make up the majority on the Board of Supervisors. We're the ones to bear the burden of maintaining quaint agricultural practices and open space because there is not much down there. We are ALL for maintaining our enviable, somewhat rural lifestyle, but every piece of dirt does not need to be locked down. (Sorry, not at all relevant to your concerns, just a rant about the inherent illogical quality of modern political America.)

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah... I hear ya... I used to stay at the Golden Nugget for my business trips (Gold Club rooms in the north tower) when they were building the Rush Tower. Gotta be honest... when the "beep, beep, beep" of the cement mixers backing-up started shortly before 4 a.m. each day, I honestly wasn't thinking "jobs, paychecks and progress"... I was thinkin' "M%#@ F#*&R"

11. garyz100

garyz100 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying at ny ny in august, how bad is the construction in front?

12. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will say I am impressed how the quad dumps you out right in front of that harrahs bar. That corner is always alive and to me thats what vegas is all about :)

On a side note im not happy about the resort fees which in my eyes is corporate creed and to only help pay for all this stupid construction lowering the cost to their investors. this could cause me to look elsewhere if I find a similar priced hotel which I would of never thought about before...

The quad does not need resort fees.

13. kdor78

kdor78 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have heard about the construction at the MGM from a friend who just returned. I am hoping there won't be any construction at NYNY when we arrive in July. It won't keep us from staying at the property, I just want to be able to avoid the noise! :confused2:

14. pirviii

pirviii Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Construction

I can sympathize as they just finished building a Wal-Mart grocery store at the end of my street that they have been working on for 3 years, but I expect construction in Vegas to never end. I have been going since the late 90's and there has always been construction, but it never made me angry. To combat the early noise, I bring ear plugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.