1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Should I tell a new employer I am going to Vegas if they ask about a time off request?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Multifarious5, Nov 6, 2018.

?

If an employer approved time off, and asks where you are going....should you say Vegas?

1. Absolutely...Vegas rocks! If they don't know that yet, their loss

77 vote(s)
    62.6%
  2. No...side step and give a wishy-washy answer

37 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Tell them you're in the CIA and the details are confidential...it would put them at risk (kidding)

9 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, on VMB, Vegas is totally normal! Outside of VMB? Many of us know it's deemed as a negative.

In an ideal world, employers won't ask where you're going on time off. Yes, it's not their business, but flippantly refusing to answer does not win you brownie points.

So, on a new job, if you get time off approved...my poll is, should you be open, or sidestep? (And if the latter, how?)

PS especially if you're taking time off sooner than you probably should...right before six month mark, but when it's a slower time of year for your company.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Counting the minutes!
  2. bobby jones

bobby jones High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m always visiting the southwest with flights in and out of Vegas - I may spend a night in Vegas .....

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dunno, I'd be inclined to think there's at least a chance it would be viewed negatively, especially since you're new. Everybody at my work knows I go to Vegas but I've been there 10 years.

Id probably lie, unless you think there's a way (social media or general post-trip nosiness) you could get caught in the lie. That would probably be worse.

On the other hand, there's an argument to be made to just get it out of the way now.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Farner

Farner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a new job, I always try to lay low. Nothing specific about Vegas, but it is best to get know everyone first. Don’t disclose information before you know the players. I know a lot of people who regard Vegas addicts (me) with suspicion. We all have heard strangely narrowminded comments about Vegas. If you are new to the job, I would not want to find out my boss is one of them by telling her that I am going to Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chrisnewton

Chrisnewton Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hell yea!...I am always so proud to tell people i am going to Vegas !

Vegas 2019 Trip
    • Like Like x 1
  6. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell them you're going to Fresno. Then they'd know you're abnormal.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually think it could reflect positively: it shows you’re a real person and honest.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrewBrew

TrewBrew High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As an employer/boss I want to know if my employee is going to Vegas. Usually so I can give them money to place sports bets.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  9. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Other than idle conversation, I don't think anyone in my chain-of-command has ever asked where I was going. Primarily, because all that ultimately matters is my unavailability during x-period of time.

I'd tell him/her that I was going to Vegas.

Consider the alternative. You're back and word of your Vegas Vacay reaches said supervisor. What happens with "Hey. I hear you were in Vegas. I thought you were going to [insert non-Vegas city here]? So now, Vegas isn't the issue - lying is. When wallowing buck nekkid in sin and vice, it's always better to be honest.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. Lies take the elevator, the truth takes the stairs but still arrives in the end.

• Like Like x 3
  11. NCAAHoops

NCAAHoops High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have to agree with @Chuck2009x Will you be letting them know each time? If so, then most of us would get some strange looks

• Like Like x 1
  12. bdautch

bdautch High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's just Vegas, man. Why should I be so ashamed? I'd be far more ashamed if I was going to some provincial hick town and needlessly wasting vacation on flyover boredom. Damn right I'm going to Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. fasbman

fasbman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The answer depends on how good a relationship you have with your boss. I went to Vegas within a year of starting a new job. I told my manager, and she asked me to put a bet down with her. On the other hand, my mother told me about twenty years ago, that she didn't want me going to Vegas since the mob ran the town. I told her that the mob control ended years ago, but I'm not sure she believed me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ask your employer "Are you writing a book?", if they say "Yes", then tell him/her, "then leave this chapter out and make it a mystery!".

But seriously, it depends on the relationship that you have with your employer. I work for a very large (over 5,000 employees in my division) company, and I've known my manager for about 10 years, we have one-on-ones every two weeks, and many times we share personal anecdotes. I'm the department "degenerate" anyway, so it doesn't surprise anyone that I go to Las Vegas as many times a year as I do.I share pictures of the restaurants I go to, and the shows that I see.

HGS/GGWU - final trip of 2018
    First trip of 2019 - my birthday
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. DoctorD

DoctorD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We
    I’m with this strategy. Especially if at a new place where they don’t know me well.

A lot of people just don’t get it and never really will.

I’m sure people would use a similar strategy if making a trip to Amsterdam maybe.

It just sounds weird to the uninitiated...

D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You just have to attend the birthday if (insert) or reunion with service buddies/college buddies/family members or bachelor party for (). It just happens to be in vegas.

Diamond match; token 2 nighter; fabulous dinner & a M&G }{
    Pilgrimage beyond seeds which may flower
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me, the last thing you want to do is give off the impression that YOU think this is a secret or will be a negative.

People may not get it but if its vacation you are entitled to and you work hard when there, it won't affect other work.

Because oops I'm diamond
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Timbuck

Timbuck Tourist

Tell them you are going to Thailand for a sex change.

19. TrewBrew

TrewBrew High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there a negativity about Vegas? I don’t recall walking down an empty strip except like 5am. Last time I looked a lot of people go there. The only people I don’t tell are those in my men’s group at church. Well except for the one I ran into one trip.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've maintained status in a national professional organization for many, many years and though I don't think it's quite as bad as it used to be, there absolutely IS a serious stigma attached to visiting us. When I hosted conferences and/or meetings in Las Vegas, we had to have them at the Platinum or Trump. Being in a non-gaming environment satisfied many of our members or at least many of our members bosses. Especially being new, I'd avoid saying "Las Vegas" like the plague. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. I prefer to deal in reality, not the way it should be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1