1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

should I request a specific cab route from cosmo to xs on a sat night?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by random512, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random512

random512 Low-Roller

The 2 locations are right down the street from each other (0.7 miles / 4 minutes). Supposedly, Vegas taxis are notorious for "long hauling" or taking an indirect route:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2013/05/01/the-biggest-scam-in-vegas-may-be-your-taxi-ride/

I know that traffic can get backed up on the strip so is it legitimate for a cabbie to take an off-strip route from cosmo to xs? Or would he most likely be "long hauling" in this case? Should I specifically request a strip route or some other route on a Saturday night?

2. vegasmacker

vegasmacker Canadian Ambassador for Sully's Bar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The strip will generally be the cheapest, but will be at a snails pace on a Saturday night. Personally I Would take an Uber/Lyft and less worrying about a long haul. If I had to take a route I'd say Harmon to Frank Sintra Drive/Sammy Davis Drive, north to Spring Mountain and on to Wynn.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    actualy the strip hasnt been that bad so if its clear check gps just go strip if not then do the other harmon to dean to industrial..

ps dont take a cab use lyft

4. monkeyshed

monkeyshed Highest Vegas Slot Jackpot in 45 Trips = $400

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree. Take a Lyft and your price will be spelled out to you before you even go.

5. random512

random512 Low-Roller

I just did a sample lookup on Lyft. The cost was $5 @ 11:45pm on a Wednesday night. I'm guessing that the cost would be more on a Friday/Saturday night due to increased demand. It seems like there could be a bit more confusion with Lyft b/c you need to search for your driver in the "Rideshare Pickups" area. Do you find that to be the case or not really? Also, when was Lyft approved for strip transit? I was thinking that they were blocked when I visited in 2014?

The app told me to go to the "Rideshare Pickups" section. Where is that exactly? Whenever I go outside the main entrance of the hotel, I always see a line of cabs with people waiting in line. Where is the "Rideshare Pickups" line in relation to the taxi line?

Also, what if I just gave the cabbie a $10 bill upon pickup and told him to keep the change? This would give him the most incentive to take the cheapest route and I could relax by paying a flat fee without overthinking it. If I took this approach would the cabbie usually get a tip of at least $2? I wouldn't want him to feel ripped off if his net tip was < $1 for example.

6. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do Uber or Lyft. Seriously, do Uber or Lyft. Re: Your questions
    • There's a rideshare location for Uber/Lyft. Many places have a sign, or you can easily look it up on their website.
    • When you request Uber/Lyft, you can instantly call the driver with a push of a button. You can tell him exactly where you are and what you're wearing.
    • You get the car's license plate and its make, model and color, so you know what you're looking for.
    • Cab drivers are slaves to their meter. If your $10 doesn't cover the trip, they may turn off the meter or they might not and you would owe more money.
    I stopped taking cabs a couple of years ago, and I travel a lot. I took one out of necessity a few month ago in LV, and I got long hauled by the driver taking me on a route right by the location of the Presidential debates when there were at least two alternative routes. Even when I confronted the driver with what he had done, he didn't want to turn off the meter. Never again.

7. VegasTravelNews

VegasTravelNews MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rent a car on every trip, so I can't provide first hand knowledge. There are a couple of websites that offer taxi fare estimates like this one:
    https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=LV

When I plugged in Cosmo to Wynn, it came up with $14.50, but I can't vouch for how accurate it is.

Since I rent, I also can't help with Lyft/Uber, but I'm also seeing codes on line all the time offering various discounts. Folks here that are more knowledgeable might also be able to help with that.

8. Vegas55

Vegas55 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber/Lyft pick-up area at Cosmo. Once you hit the taxi line make a right and head directly to the far wall. It is where the shuttles pick you up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. random512

random512 Low-Roller

Ok sounds like Vegas pros use Lyft instead of taxis these days. The Vegas taxi industry seems to have shot itself in the foot with the reputation it's earned for long hauling.

But what if I just told the cabbie to stay on LVB "b/c I like to people watch"? Considering the locations are only 0.7 miles away on the same street it would seem very odd if he wouldn't grant this request?

How often do you get a Lyft ride that smells horrendous? I've had at least 2 Lyft rides where people could smell the Lyft ride on me all day. I actually don't mind paying a few extra dollars to take a cab to completely avoid the risk of showing up to XS smelling like a stink bomb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.