1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Shortage of cars at the Rental Center?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by GeorgeJ., Jun 30, 2020.

1. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One recent trip report had two mentions of problems at the Rental Car Center.

One said that they were sent over to another rental car company because the company they booked with had no cars.

The other said that they were told by Hertz that there would be a 4-5 hour wait until they had a car for them..

Anyone else having problems getting their rental car since Vegas reopened?

I have a car booked for a month from now and don't really want to have a problem when I show up to get my car..

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This does not make any sense. I would think they would be overloaded with rental cars??

Air traffic and open hotels are still way down. Where did all the cars go? Maybe they are not back in the normal swing of things.

A month from now? Probably will have it figured out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably sold off much of the fleet to save their asses financially during the lockdown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All I know is that prices really blow chunks :vomit:right now to rent a car. So far it is around $150 for only 3 night stay in September. Usually I get it for around 80 bucks. That might make sense that they have sold some of their inventory.

5. seaoftranquilitycruiser

seaoftranquilitycruiser Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think some tourists who would not ordinarily be renting cars are now doing so because of the shortage or Uber/Lyft cars available.

6. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, could be a lot of one way trips home at the start of the crisis, and the cars have not been returned to replenish inventory. A lot of people were stuck in Vegas when the shutdown was announced, and the airlines went dark

7. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the same problem at Phoenix airport 2 weekends ago with a booking through Alamo. We booked a midsize sedan, got a full size SUV as it was the only car they had left. I think there were 2 more full size SUV's, and a full race Mustang specialty car left in the entire inventory. After the next 3 customers checked in, they would have been out of cars also

8. vegasvstr

vegasvstr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hertz has been going through bankruptcy and I'd personally avoid them until that settles a little.
    Also a lot of businesses are weighing when/if they want to bring back more employees on furlough. More thorough cleaning is going to slow down the car turn around also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. vegasvstr

vegasvstr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious what day of the week it was?

M-F corporate bookings must be way down, my company still hasn't stated when they might lift their travel pause.

10. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we arrived on a Thursday evening

11. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Payless is still down to <$20 a day (taxes and fees not included) for July 5th on. Everyone else (even Enterprise) are up there. Enterprise is at $30+, the other agencies that I shop at are in the $50-$60 ramge. Hertz!?!?!?! Fugeddaboutit.

Scheduled, but cancellable
    Well, Canada and Massachusetts are closed, back to Lake Tahoe
  12. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hertz's headquarters is in Estero Fl They sponsor an arena just off the interstate.The parking lot is full of rental cars.A month or so ago a huge fire destroyed rows and rows of rental cars parked at RSW (Ft Myers SW FL international airport).
    I checked the prices of their cars for sale right here in Estero and there are no 'deals'..prices looked about usual for their resale division.

I'm just guessing the cars are there in and around Las Vegas but parked for now until the demand requires more of them?

13. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    interesting how a fire destroys rows of cars just as they declare bankruptcy o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. willslotforcash

willslotforcash Low-Roller

On Thursday, budget had plenty. Payless lot was virtually empty.

15. Romanova

Romanova Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've got a Cadillac XTS or equivalent booked through Enterprise for July to take a quick run up to Hoover dam on the first day. Hopefully it's all good to go...

16. loonytoony

loonytoony VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are thousands of cars sitting parked in off airport lots, bumper to bumper. I saw them in Atlanta and Las Vegas.

upload_2020-6-30_13-47-41.png

upload_2020-6-30_13-48-10.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. Also note that Hertz also owns Dollar and Thrifty so those companies are in the same soup.

Second Trip to LV Since Shutdown
  18. Calder

Calder High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not in the business, but I assume they got rid of whatever excess inventory they could.

Costs a lot of money to insure those cars; especially when they generate no revenue.

19. MGinCO

MGinCO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back tonight. Here is my opinion of what I experienced and saw while there.

I booked via 3rd party for Thrifty midsize Sat eve to Tues afternoon, and did my 1st PREPAY of $97.58 ALL IN. (I could find nothing lower w/pay after)
    (BTW, I am a member of all the Frequent Car Rental Programs, that let you go directly to your car)

When I arrived on Sat eve, Thrifty was closed, and sign said to go to Dollar. There was a line and only 2 people working, so I huffed my sweaty butt and bag down the escalator to the Blue Chip/Express Kiosk.
    Not a sole around. Back upstairs, and get in line @ Dollar. Now one person working, other punching buttons and helping the 1st person. I sweated and waited some more. It was 106 degrees!
    After getting my contract and leaving a $200 deposit, I was told I now had to head to the other end, and go to the Hertz Cars. Pick anything from the 5Star area.

I saw a Honda HRV w/CA plates and a Kia Sorento w/NV plates. I grabbed the Kia, of course.
    Once I got the A/c going, was a strange smell. Wasn't until the next time I opened the door, what it was...smoke smell. Yuck!
    Noticed the smell even more once the car sat in parking garage downtown for the night.
    The car itself drove great, no complaints other than the smell. I did not drive as much as I had planned, so gas cost me a whopping $7,a dn I drove less than 100 miles.

When I returned the car, boy, was it packed, with all the Dollar, Thrifty, and Hertz cars!
    Looked a little clusterfluck. I had to sit and wait until some one came over.

My opinion is, going forward, is to avoid Thrifty, Dollar, and Hertz for a bit, until things settle down, due to COVID19 AND yes, their bankruptcy.

And Yes, the prices are sky-rocking now too.
    I am trying to book another for Aug 1-5, and just outrageous.

Good Luck!.