1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Shameful confession: Not a fan of live TRs

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by WolfpackRobNC, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Retrobabble

Retrobabble Director of Fun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get it. And let’s face it we can’t all be the same. The only reason why I write my trip reports live is because I really suck at writing them afterwards. I never remember half the stuff! :D

Christmas in Vegas! Dec. 22nd - 31st
    Ho, ho, and HO! (Sorry ma'am, not you! :D)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t have the attention span to do a live TR, a few on this page will attest to that. I like taking a ton of photos, then thinking through what I’ll write upon my return (part of the fun). I’m having too much fun out there to deal with a live TR. I did it in AC once with @smerrian - and even that was difficult.

January 8th - January 11th
    July 23rd - July 27th
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rookies11

Rookies11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over the years, I’ve read many of both types.

Some are meh.

Some are exquisite, simply HOF calibre! The very best involve taking we viewers on various tours of parts of Vegas/ outside known & unknown. They include the superlative meal, drink, show, place extravaganzas, combined with the gritty, the commonplace and the down & out.

All with stunning photos, humorous interjections and wondrous interactions. I recall one WOW finale moment, where the author sat down to break bread with a good friend over a $5k bottle of vintage Scotch! A fine capper to dozens of well written pages.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. unomas

unomas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to read both types of reports! Whether the report is live or post written, depending on my time restrictions I will only read the comments of the author of the report and skip the majority of all of our comments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Saltybee

Saltybee Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found a few live reports I like but I mostly don't follow them. I get a bit lost in the comments and slot win photos. I totally get that others like those though! I've been following here forever and only recently made an account (or maybe found an old one). I like all the info but what I'm always, selfishly, looking for is what can you tell me for my trip?? Lol. Meaning I like hotel room reviews, restaurant reviews, transportation.... stuff like that.

I'd love to do a trip report at some point but I'm sure I couldn't manage a live one! My next trip is at the end of this month to The D, Resorts World, and NoMad- I'll try an after the fact TR.

• Like Like x 1
  6. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine are always after the fact because time already flies when in Vegas. I can't imagine spending part of that time writing my report, but I'm very impressed by those who pull it off successfully.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not easy to do live, may even be the mark of a bad trip,
    indicating you have offtime from gambling because it's not going great,
    still trying to find the right mix, leaning into after or just random pictures lately,
    the window of remembering details after seems to be inversely proportional to how much fun you had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I’d be more of a live TR fan if those advertising it as live, in my cases, actually kept it live. Rarely do you see a live one start to finish without going dark, and I’m not saying I have the ability to do that as I don’t, but I normally skip them as it’s typically a promise that many can’t keep. I do appreciate people trying, however, as it’s certainly not easy.

The only TR I wish I could skip, and it’s not really a type of TR buy rather a portion of the beginning by the same people often times, is when people talk (many times self-importantly) about how tough work is, the usual refrain of “peons in coach” whilst the reporter is in first class, dropping in how their host is this and that to sound cool, as well as the ol’ “got in a great workout before leaving”. I see those and always wonder, who gives a shit? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could never do a live report, it is impressive when people keep it up.

Live trip reports are more like parties where the whole board jumps in and there's lively conversation that grows as more people join the party. I am not a party person so I am okay to write it up when I am home.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did one "semi-live" and it seemed to work out OK, but I was only doing a couple/three updates a day, and then my bandwidth got throttled and made the back end more on "tape-delay". It seems well received for a first timer, so I have to assume the live nature had something to do with it, along with the alternate flavor (as it was food/show oriented as opposed to gaming). Te one thing I thought I could bring to the table was a "different path" than I see from a lot of TRs so I tried to give the reader a "different flavor" as it were, as my Vegas trips aren't typical Vegas trips for forums like these.

As for my reading, I'll take 'em anyway I can get 'em that informs and entertains.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm also not a fan but I've been around long enough to know which ones are fun to follow along.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like reading peoples adventures absolutely and some people are really really intuitive and entertaining and I appreciate that however when I tried my live TR, I found my face in my phone instead of thoroughly enjoying why I was on vacation to begin with. Also, my trips just arent as exciting as others---simple gambling, drinking, eating on the Strip and downtown---nothing out of the ordinary. So in the end, my best attempt isnt really worth the effort Im putting in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had good intentions many times to write up my trip report after the fact. But, by the time I get home and the fog lifts, I can't remember a damn thing worth telling. And the stuff I do remember, I'll NEVER TELL!:wink2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also not a fan of live TRs, so I just don't read them. Kudos to those who have the time to write them, it's just not my cup of tea. I do make an exception for @Ty and @bubbakitty.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I, for one, could never do a trip report since old age/senility has set in. I do like trip reports by certain authors through the years. I have had helpful hints and ideas for my future trips by reading those. On the other hand, in my opinion, missing out on the live TR from @Havanotha would be almost unheard of. That is one I would not miss.

16. Havanotha

Havanotha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couldn't be more proud. Thank you. We got 6 more days .... Enjoy my friend.

17. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hats off, to those that are capable of doing a live TR.

Keep doing them….I enjoy them ALL!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Havanotha

Havanotha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never have before but after 4 years of religeously reading them all I felt it was my turn. Glad youre pleased. Stay tuned!

• Like Like x 3
  19. julia

julia Craps, VP & Microbews

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, doing a live TR is more to keep track of all that I've done. It's a nice little pause in the action, to recap a meal, update gambling up/down, plan what to do next. The comments and feedback are good too - getting a tip on Le Thai when I needed lunch while downtown added a new fave must-dine restaurant to my faves list! Can't do that with an after-the-trip-recap.

That said, there have been some great reads in the back-home write-ups that I've really enjoyed.

The more variety the better as far as TRs are concerned, imho!

Lunar New Year Trip
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  20. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer "after" trip reports. Always have.

However, I do read and enjoy live reports. As they can become quite lengthy, I skim through ONLY to read/look at the OP's entries and pics.

• Agree Agree x 1