1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Series Finales - Best/Worst

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Sep 3, 2021.

1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all have our favorite shows that we've either watched week after week or that we've binged.

Which series, in your opinion, had the best finale or worst finale. What made the finale best/worst?

:wave:

• Like Like x 1
  2. mr.vegas

mr.vegas Peace sells, but who's buying?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best: Newhart - The end when he woke up and it was a dream.

Worst: Las Vegas - What happens next no answers just caceled.

DEC 7 - 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best: Agents of SHIELD

Worst: tie between How I Met Your Mother and Lost, both of which went on for far longer than they should have.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best: Babylon 5, The Leftovers, the Shield
    Worst: The News Room, Six Feet Under

5. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worst-- Seinfeld

2022 First Escape
    • Agree Agree x 5
  6. RushAndRoulette

RushAndRoulette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best Finales: The Shield, Breaking Bad, Leftovers (h/t to UK For reminding me of that one)
    Worst Finales: Dexter, Alf, Game of Thrones

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fudgewapner

fudgewapner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Highly debated opinion, but I think the Sopranos is the best finale. It simply ended. The story continues, just not our viewing of it. No "tying it up in a bow" or "there's a big wedding" ending, because that's not life. It doesn't mean Tony died, it just stopped. Beautiful stuff.

I don't know about Worst, but the Lost ending was lame. Just an alternative to the "it was all a dream". I thought thematically Lost was really cool, maybe they painted themselves into a corner with the ending.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best: 12 monkeys

9. Running late

Running late Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is an older show but I’m still salty about St. Elsewhere, where the whole show was just the imagination of a little boy.

I agree about Lost. I was so invested in that show and so disappointed in how they ended it.

One ending I liked was Newhart, where the show was a dream (which I normally hate) but he woke up in his old role on the Bob Newhart Show.

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't like it substantively, but "NARM!" was unintentionally hilarious.
    Oof, I think I had repressed that memory, but it was awful.
    They supposedly had planned out the ending long ago, but it didn't really fit by the point they got to it. I'm reminded of the SNL Weekend Update comment on it, which was along the lines of, "The TV series 'Lost' was renewed for another season. When reached for comment, the writers responded, 'shit'."

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Sopranos ending just fine. I'm not going to hate on it. But at the same time, I thought there was nothing special about it. I mean, the climax to the entire multi year story is probably Phil getting his head squashed. So I didn't need anything dramatic to happen at the very end. But any multi year story yearns for a resolution and the Sopranos didn't provide one (unless you believe Tony died; which is more of a climax than a resolution IMO).

Compare that to, for instance, the Shield. If one didn't watch the show closely, you wouldn't realize that the entire series is really one long story. The two main characters make a horrific decision at the end of the first episode and they spend the rest of the series running from it (only to find themselves falling deeper and deeper into the chaos they created). By the end, Shane believes he has no way out but to kill himself and his family. His "family meeting" is the tragic climax to a multi-year story arc. Meanwhile, Vic squirms his way out of the mess (and has to give up his friends in the process). It could have ended there. Much like Tony Soprano, Vic's miserable life goes on. But instead they end the show with the genius scenes of Vic, totally emasculated, being forced to sit at a desk in a sterile office, no longer doing the one thing he craved and loved. Even though he had escaped actual prison, his escape created an entirely new one. Then the show ends with him hearing police sirens in the distance, finding a gun, and heading out, presumably to do the one thing he loves (and probably ultimately escaping his self imposed prison for a real one). I prefer stories with resolutions at the end

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skyler

Skyler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best: Big Bang Theory. I like how it was wrapped up in a nice little bow.

Worst: Lost, followed closely by Game of Thrones. I'd like to also say, I'm still mad at Showtime for canceling a show aong time ago called Odyssey 5. I loved that show. It was way ahead of it's time as far as series television went. They left me hanging and I won't forget!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. fudgewapner

fudgewapner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We'll have to agree to disagree! I think the Sopranos ending is superb because it breaks the convention of "resolution". For that show, what form would that take? It couldn't be a contrived flash-forward to Meadow Parise and a flock of grandkids, and AJ running a business, with Tony and Carmela shuffling in the kitchen in old age. There's ambiguity that parallels life, there's no "end". Even in the Shield, which I did enjoy, it's still undetermined what actually happens in the end.

Side note - your Mansion report rocked - thanks for sharing, and congrats on scooping a good win!

• Like Like x 2
  14. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best - Homeland, yes arguably it went on for too many series but they called it right when it counted

Worst - Dexter, poor ending and rumours are they are remaking the final series

15. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best, MASH.

Let's do this!
    Let's do this!
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a rumor! November 7th at 9PM on Showtime.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sopranos was "fine" to me. I agree completely with @UKFanatic, the biggest thing is having a satisfying resolution. The ending of Las Vegas was terrible, but it wasn't their fault; the show was abruptly cancelled.

I forgot one for best, by the way: The Good Place. That's actually probably at the top of my list. Michael Schur is a genius, but also planned things out end-to-end. I was just re-watching it, and the logical consistency of the show is amazing. In the first season, from pilot through season finale, it all ties together (the one exception being the thing about Chidi's language, which they later hand-waved away and was a very minor point).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree the Sopranos broke a typical convention. I simply disagree that it was a good idea to do so (not a bad idea either; just not my preference). I mean, a flash forward would have sucked. I'm not asking for that. But you can have resolution without some kind of overly syrupy or dramatic wrap up (e.g., The Leftovers). I know other critics on the internet often complained that the Sopranos was a show where nothing happened. In that sense, the ending is perfect. There's nothing to resolve if there is no conflict, lol. But I disagree that nothing ever happened on the show. If the resolution, though, is simply that life continues, then what was the point. That's not a resolution and can be the ending of literally every story ever that does not end with the death of the main character. As i said, I'm not hating on it. I just don't think there was anything special about it (even if it broke a typical convention)

As for the Shield, I think its pretty clear what Vic is headed out to do in the final moment of the show. And its not good lol

19. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need to watch that show!

20. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You really do. It's probably the best show on TV in the last decade. Just do not, under any circumstances, read up about it in advance. There are a couple absolutely shocking plot twists that blew my mind when I was watching. And while they tie together when you look at it as a whole, they were nothing I saw coming.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1