1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

(Semi) Live TR 22nd June - 8th July

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Marky147, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the last night of my trip was UFC 148 @ MGM Grand Garden Arena and dinner at Ramsay Steak in the Paris. I had saved what I hoped was going to be the best for last, although given some of the nights I'd had it was going to be difficult to achieve:evillaugh

The cab driver I got down drove me right up to the door much to the irritation of the staff. I got in and found the guys I was going with easily enough, the staff directed me to the front of the queue to collect tickets and we were in right as the prelims started :thumbsup:

The first few prelims were pretty dull, not a lot of action and most of the time was spent on the deck jostling for position. All these fights went to decision, the atmosphere wasn't amazing either as most of the seats were still empty and again the Brazilian fans were most vocal.

Once the main card kicked off with the top class fighters things started to get better. The arena began to fill, the atmosphere heated up and it was like a crowd of wild animals baying for blood.

The fights were really good with Ortiz/Griffin both leaving it all in the ring. You can tell they're both getting on a bit now as it was like something from the 15th round in a Rocky movie towards the end :evillaugh

Sonnen vs Silva was just insane and I have to say it made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck once Silva made his ringwalk. Sonnen was booed to high heaven as expected, then once the fight began the chants of USA began and were attempted to be shouted down by 'Brasssssiiiiiiill'

Sonnen totally dominated Silva in the first round and it looked like things were going to shape up as they had in the previous fight back along. Early in the second round Sonnen appeared to lose his head for a second and in a moment of madness attempted a spinning back fist. From there he lost his balance, fell over and Silva swarmed him ending the fight clinically.

It was hard to hear what was said after the fight as the Brazilians were going absolutely mental and the arena was actually shaking with the noise. It appeared that there was no more trash talking and just an acknowledgement of respect by both fighters.

I've definitely pencilled it in to go again next year and hope that the undercard doesn't suffer from injuries like it did this time with Cruz v Faber being pulled. Still a great night and was thrilling to experience the atmosphere first hand as opposed to on ESPN

After that we finally managed to negotiate our exit from the building, helped in no way by the celeb hunters who were trying to get pics with actors/sports stars who were watching. All well and good, but didn't they know I was trying to get fed ffs

I managed to get in touch with the restaurant and they held our reservation open until 1030pm and we arrived with 10minutes to spare. Well Dave and I did, John and Alex were some way behind so we had to stall a little on ordering....

Dave, Alex and John all had the sliders while I tried the Chorizo Stuffed Lobster which was amazing. The contrasting flavours of the 2 were really good, the guys absolutely raved about the sliders so I tried a piece of Alex's and it was very good.

For mains we all just went basic and took the kobe filet which was excellent. We went a bit overboard on the sides which was par for the course ordering

Truffled Mac N Cheese
    Potato Puree
    Corn
    Spinach
    Fingerling Potatoes

Another great meal it was, whilst it came out more expensive than CUT at $900 for the four of us I don't think it was quite as good. I think the bar was just set so high eating there first. I'll probably go back, but it will be before I've been to CUT next year and that way it will be easier to judge.

Christmas on the Terrace
    Back to Fremont
  2. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On reflection of everything this year the trip was my most enjoyable ever despite my mobility problems increasing year by year.

I'm now a downtown convert and the Golden Nugget has stolen me from the Palazzo as my Vegas home.

There were 5/6 of us this year from my forum who stayed at the Nugget and next year there will be even more. From our reporting of the trip this year there has already been a savings club setup with a small tournament aspect so that 20 people will be coming to Vegas next year and 10 of them will be playing a $1k WSOP event.

Our forum is tiny in comparison to here and proably only has 100 regular members, so to get 20 of them all signed up for something like we have is pretty amazing.

I will again stay for a few days on the strip at the end of my trip, it may be that I stay elsewhere though for a change and sample some new restaurants at Encore o Aria.

It's easy enough to rent a scooter for the week at Encore/Palazzo and then I can just use that to get around on the strip.

I can only apologise for how the reporting went and it kind of ruined things by not updating it either in one go when I got back or as I went in Vegas. What I will do next year is write it out in a word document and then I can just paste it.

I know my reports are probably not to everyone's taste as it's mostly just drinking and eating. I don't gamble much and the only gambling I really do is on the poker table. Well a bit with my safety when I start offering spot prizes to drunks if they down shots :evillaugh

It's been another memorable year, another great and expensive trip. Thanks to everyone for your nice comments and I hope that for all the disjointedness of it you have enjoyed reading :beer:

Now I'll try to catch up with some of the other great reports everyone has been writing since I've been home :)

Until next year :peace:

Christmas on the Terrace
    Back to Fremont
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.