1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Self Driving Cars

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Electroguy563, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the new thing of the future. Don't know much about them or how they will be implemented into society with human driven vehicles so I thought I'd start this thread.

In my opinion if all vehicles on the road were self driven, then I would think it would probably be safe to use. But I often wonder what happens when there is a mix of self driven and human driven cars all together on the freeway.

Do you think they both could co-exist? Do you think it would be relatively safe? Obviously the experts in this field have already factored these things in and I would guess they think it will be alright. How would you feel driving along or following a vehicle that is driverless?

What if the passengers in the driverless vehicle is in a hurry. Do these things "know" how to accelerate and safely weave in and out of traffic to get to the destination faster? And just how fast are these things anyway? The few clips I've seen of these things look like it just moves at a lackluster rate which might just irate the drivers in vehicles that want to get past it?

Just wanted to know what other members feel about this new development, and if there is any other information to share about this technology that can make me understand it more.

2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's gonna destroy jobs, just imagine all the truckdrivers. bus drivers, taxi drivers, ups/fed ex, etc, etc, who will be put out of work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevin853

kevin853 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went in a Taxi on our visit to Amsterdam last year. The Taxi 'Driver' couldn't help himself in showing us how the car drives itself on a dual carriageway doing 80mph while he turned around and was talking to us.

Pretty much scared the mrs so I had to tell him to drive properly (or at least concentrate and look like he was driving) and we were not interested in him showing off his new toy.

4. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's just a matter of (a short) time before the cars are introduced, but the biggest issue will be human nature, and the issue of trust. I think it's natural, albeit illogical, to prefer having human driver error kill 30,000+ people per year, as compared to machine errors killing 10,000 per year (to pull a number out of a hat). On a more cynical note, I can see the lawsuits now.

Hopefully this attitude won't delay adoption of self driving cars for too long. If I can afford it, I'll go for it.

5. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, that's another thing. If a driverless car gets into an accident and injures the owner(s) would they and the other accident victims be able to sue the manufacturer?

Wow, the manufacturer of these things must have a lot of faith in their inventions.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My new 2017 has some of these features. I only have 1,000 miles on the car and maybe I'll get used to it, but right now I'm not real comfortable. It brakes itself if it thinks you are too close to the car ahead. It moves the steering wheel if it thinks you are drifting out of your lane. It will slam on the brakes if it thinks you are going to hit something. That happened at the car wash when the big brushes came out in front of the car.

Blindspot detection is cool. But, I still want to "drive" my car.

How many people are going to get lulled into a sense of security that really isn't there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amen, I don't even like cruise control

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. chidog

chidog Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My question is if you have an self driving car, do you need car insurance? If car builders sell you the car shouldn't they be the one carry the car insurance?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eventually, the robots will come to recognize humans on this planet as something akin to a virus. The cars, once they have humans inside, will automatically lock the doors and then, knowing the frailties of the human form, engage in high speed accidents (e.g. head-on, over a cliff, etc.), sacrificing themselves for the good of the robot world. They will also mow down any humans within detection, such as on the sidewalks, crossing a street, out in the park, etc. However, this will not be limited to cars...self-flying aircraft will begin auguring into the dirt taking the human passengers with them. Read "Robopocalypse" by Daniel H. Wilson (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9634967-robopocalypse). It's past your bed time...now you kids go to sleep!

Seriously, it will - as technology often does - become an efficiency that displaces human workers. However, it will aid the elderly / infirm who now need transportation, but can no longer drive. Think in terms of the ability to either reserve or 'on demand' a vehicle! Pluses and minuses abound, but I still like to 'drive' my ride. Gotta remember sports fans, once we remove the fickle human element...;)

Oh, one more thing. Just because there's no driver, doesn't mean you can get buck nekkid and do the humpty dance as your driver-less auto traverses Las Vegas Boulevard. It's equipped with surveillance cameras inside connected to the web...so there is that.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As much as I support automation in certain areas cars isn't one of them. I like to drive my cars too much. Even if I gripe about the Houston traffic all the time.

11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont see why they are pushing these things on us so much, Does anyone really want a car that drives itself? I dont. Would you buy a car that you cant drive? I would not. the only thing that would be nice is you can drink and the car can drive you home but i have been doing fine my entire life without this as i just dont drive after drinking.

Seems to me that the only real application for these would be to cut the diver out of the taxi industry or to replace public transportation. of course if you are the person selling the driverless cars you stand to make an enourmous profit but for us, I just dont see an advantage other then buying stock in the companies.

just walk around and try your phone. you will see the spots where for whatever reason you have no internet. are these cars somehow immune to this like they use some special internet?

Now look at the other drivers on the road. many of them can hardly navigate in traffic. now add some car hurtling down the road next to them and you just cant plan for everything. also whats happens to the older ones? my window in my old van quit working about a year ago and i have yet to fix it. I could fix it but just dont need it right now and have others stuff to spend money on. So what happens with the driverless cars when the owners neglect the maintenance?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My car has a lot of these features and for the most part I like it. Keeps me in my lane if I start going over the lane marker, will break automatically if necessary (anticipates I might hit the car in front of me). Adaptive cruise control (speeds up when the car in front of me speeds up, slows down when he slows down).

It's pretty cool. Not really self driving of course. If my hand is off the wheel more than a few seconds it beeps and the wheel vibrates.

13. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get that some/many people don't want self driving cars. But auto accidents are the 4th leading cause of death in the US. If someone had a potential way to significantly reduce cancer (#1), lower respiratory diseases (#2), strokes (#4) we'd be excited about it. To me it's not about convenience, it's about safety. If you ever lost someone in a car accident and this new technology could have prevented it then perhaps those that don't want it would think differently.

There's a LONG way to go on this and it will never be 100% foolproof. But it WILL save lives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me, I want to drive my own vehicle. Uber has been experimenting with robot cars and had a passenger fatality in one of them.

Can you override these features?

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will never be 100% safe but fatalities will go down, I don't know how anyone can be opposed to that no matter how much "fun" driving may be. It's still going to be years before the technology is fully matured.

As far as override, in my car at least yes, you can turn the added safety features on or off individually.

16. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I think self driving cars can integrate with human ones reasonably well, actually. Just like a human driver that is never sleepy and is always watching the road and his blind spots. They will maintain better following distance, etc.

I mean, there will still be incidents, and outsized outcrys following them. But I think they can get past the point of interacting with human drivers.

The one I am waiting to see is more how they adapt to treacherous road conditions, bad weather and out of the way places.

One interesting thing in having a mix though will be the opposite. Not how robots react to humans on the road, but how human drivers adapt to driverless traffic. In other words, do human drivers start learning the tendencies of self driving cars, and start "hacking" them (to pass in traffic for instance)?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't feel like they are being "pushed". Cars with increasing features are being offered, and cars without them. If they don't sell, companies will move away from them.

But while those of us who have been driving 20+ years, and who grew up in a car fetish culture are likely to have a very awkward adjustment and tough time warming to these changes, I would not say nobody wants these.

For that matter, while I still like driving myself, there will likely come a day soon enough where I wish all the OTHER cars on the road were self driving, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to hear that. I have my eye on a '17 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

19. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    im 50/50 on this one...I work in auto collision so it keeps me employed, lol...on the other hand, some people just dont need to be driving, I catch idiots all the time on my dash cam...

more than 10 years ago, my brother helped build a self driving car for DARPA ,military offered a nice amount of cash and contract to the winner, they were told that they didnt have a chance and wouldnt finish the course with the big funded colleges...195 teams i think it was that tried out in the california desert, only 4 teams finished and the one my brother helped with came in 4th place, standford 1st....so the technology has been around for a really long time and has done nothing but greatly improve

20. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is saving lives a top priority? You could lower the speed limit to 20 and almost no one would die, anyone want to save lives that bad?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.