1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Security cameras

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by broncofn, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone know much about these? I had someone install Lorex cameras (12 of them) in my new business. I have 3 tv's/monitors that show a perfect and clear picture at the business but when I look at what is going on during business hours while I am away on my phone or iPad, the picture isn't as clear, stutters and is on a delay.

I know it is on a delay because when I called my business while watching the cameras from home, it didn't show the employee answer the phone while I was on the phone with him until about 30-45 seconds after we were actually speaking.

Is this normal for a remote access system or is this system and app basically crap? I'm usually monitoring it from a wifi network but sometimes it is from my phone while on the road and they both have the same issues.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have any, but a lot of the businesses we supply internet to do. What might be happening is that you're over-utilizing your connection when you're viewing the cameras from your phone. DVR's take up a lot of bandwith when streaming, and you need a good/fast connection for that. If you have a slower connection, you'll get what you're describing(choppy/freezing). It also depends on if the DVR is doing any sort of compression. If it is, then that might also explan why there's a delay. The system has to transcode the live video to stream out. And, if you're watching more than 1 camera at a time, it's going to have to work a lot harder.

We recommend a min of 1.5/meg up, but more is better of course. A rough test of how to tell if you're killing the line is to continually ping the IP address of your site "ping x.x.x.x -t" and start your camera system. If your ping times jump up to 1000ms+, or you start getting "timed out" then it's a good bet you're pegging out your connection.

I've worked in this field a while now, and DVR's always cause issues with our customers. They expect it to be like they're at their site, and it almost never is. It can get close, but there's always going to be some sort of delay.

Hope this helps ya out some.

3. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work for the company that owns Lorex. PM me if you can't resolve this and I will find somebody to get you tech support.

4. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thnx for the info full boat, will look into this.

Piggylane, i have the person who installed them coming back out tomorrow. Will PM you if I still have issues. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thnx for the info full boat, will look into this.

Piggylane, i have the person who installed them coming back out tomorrow. Will PM you if I still have issues. Thank you!

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just want to add that the new ones have outstanding clarity. I know this because I am a reality cop show addict.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a better security camera and the picture is quite clear.

To view remotely, you have to go through your router and out to the internet to a server and then back down to you. A slow router, half fast internet connection, slow server, will all slow things down for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.