1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Save yourself, who else is getting this BS?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Happygirl21, Aug 15, 2019.

1. sinnerman

sinnerman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, another version of this is an email from the IRS (or SSN office) stating that they are are issuing arrests warrants in your name for reasons of unpaid taxes. My dad is not the most tech savvy person and called me and i explained to him that the IRS never sends emails.

Regarding the FBI link that was posted, unfortunately, most of these scammers are outside the country and from countries that don't extradite easily to the USA so the FBI can't do much about it. Still, it is always a good thing to file a report.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Total bull$#!+! Ignore it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sinnerman

sinnerman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not receive any such video. Where do I fill in the application form for the same?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These are just script kiddies running, well, pre-prepared scripts against a list of email addresses. You can safely ignore them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the one in which some financial institution wants to reward us for timely paying our mortgage each month, and I only need to send over x, y and z and they'll remit payment. Kinda makes me wish we had a mortgage so we could earn such a windfall. lol

I also like the one that says the IRS is on the way to lock me up.

Thank god for voice mail or I'd miss out on all this fun.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mikel123

mikel123 Not A Lawyer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Calder

Calder High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So why do you open them?

8. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I clean my spam folder out two or three times a week. There are emails from France, Germany, Netherlands, the UK and every now in then something from the mid east telling me they are holding my millions.
    I can't figure out if they found my email somewhere are just send stuff out at random.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TableToddyy

TableToddyy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The arrival and departure computer at Cleveland Hopkins got hijacked. With ransom ware a few months ago. Nothing but blank screens though out the whole airport. Freaking took them 2 weeks to fix.it.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the local school districts here got hit. Not with ransomware, but with nasty malware which spread to many many machines, and they are in the process of cleaning them one by one.

At Defcon they demonstrated that some of the most popular DSLR cameras were vulnerable to ransomware. The circumstances had to be a certain way, but they were definitely vulnerable.

I'm believing more and more that various malware spreads mainly because people are either greedy or negligent, and almost all could be avoided very simply.

Things like clicking on links in emails! Clicking "YES" when something wants to install something or wants to have permission to do something on your computer. I would think that users would be more careful and more streetwise to such things but no, malware purveyors have no trouble getting hits!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Calder

Calder High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People throw away regular junk mail unopened without a second thought, but somehow that doesn't carry over to email.

• Like Like x 1
  12. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    people read junk emails? Just send it right to junk.

Older folks seem to get viruses that are mostly related to them clicking on links in emails. My mom got one and of course, it was because she gets emails from her friend that has a bunch of jokes and pics and links and such, like a chain letter type thing.

Once I explained to her to stop opening them the issue stopped. i also cleaned her system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a call today saying if I don't call back they will come and arrest me...

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You've got to make yourself happy before you can make anyone else happy, right? lol

I was in the beginning, especially when I saw an old password. But now I just shake my head and ignore.

The very first one had me floundering in upset. The only thing I could see, before opening it, was the subject line which read:

"Save Yourself Infected your pc- W*******1 Hello, I know your password is, W......"

Since then I typically pay these emails no mind. Like I said initially, they are just aggravating.

I must be on some shady list somewhere. As these are not the only ones I have gotten. There's been the " Someone with your same last name died, need to collect money, will give me 40% of multi millions if I just send my banking info" and yes the wonderful "you owe the IRS.." and even a few others.

What I think is the most sad, is that there are people who really fall for these things and send off their info in the blink of an eye. Luckily, my momma didn't raise no fool, just a gambler, lol...

@dmr one thing I never do is click on any links in emails or say yes to any downloads. I am not very computer savvy so I tread lightly.

@Ken D I looked into the "haveibeenpwnd". Not only have I been but have been 4 times, lol. That explains a bit. Plus I looked up two old emails I once used, both of them were breached twice each.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Son's 21st! ( I know, it's a little early to plan but..)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This doesn't spam the spammer, it spams the email in the reply-to field or the from field. If it's a valid address, which is unlikely, it probably won't even be at a server they infected/commandeered, for the same reason that most criminals of the physical world probably don't enclose a business card or self addressed stamped envelope with their mail bombs or ransom notes.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Burnsie

Burnsie High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found the same kind of ransomware in my spam folder about a month ago...

...and what's interesting is that the password the hacker cited was my password for my Total Rewards log-in.

HOWEVER, I'm not pointing fingers at TR. It's a very simple password that I'm sure I used elsewhere, and have just forgotten about.

P.S. I don't even have a camera on my monitor. Nonetheless, I changed passwords everywhere after that.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started getting these and no pictures or videos were attached... darn....

• Like Like x 1
  18. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow...if they have a tape of me satisfying myself, it would have to include Ben &Jerry and Cherry Garcia.......sure hope it isn't the one with the Chunky Monkey.

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Paul K

Paul K VIP

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never happened to me, but something similar did happen to my wife. They emailed her work email of all things. I told her it was a scam, nothing came of it.

I'd just respond with something filthy and vulgar. For example, you say you saw me on such and such website, well then would you like to participate? Totally into tying people up and beating them. More blood the better! If you prefer, knife play is fine too!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there was a tape of me satisfying myself it would be with Colonel Sanders...:goofy::feedme:

• Funny Funny x 2