1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Sand Dollar VP Questions

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by VegasLover8, Jun 11, 2024.

1. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

I plan on playing at the Sand Dollar during my upcoming trip in October. Trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone - Get on Plaza's radar for comped rooms in the future and try to hit the royal and earn the $500 in FP from the LVA coupon. According to the website, Sand Dollar opens at 4pm nightly.

I assume they open earlier during the football season. Correct? Plan is to play on Sunday and watch NFL games. Usually we go to Golden Gate Bar Prohibition

How many VP machines do they have? Will it be hard to get a few machines together on an NFL Sunday?

I know the full pay BP machines start at $0.50, but what are the pay tables for $0.25? I assume it is 7/5?

Do they have DDB machines? What are the pay tables at $0.25? DDB is what my friends like to play.

I'm still debating on whether I will play the $0.50 BP machines. It's not about the bank roll. It's more about the taxes and how we should split the royal payout. Usually it's 3 of us playing $0.25 machines. If we are all playing together, the rule is that we split royals $300/$300/$400 if anyone hits one. We have hit one together the last 2 trips. Would love to keep the streak going!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    7TH ANNUAL DOWNTOWN VIDEO POKER CRAWL
    • Like Like x 3
  2. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Sand Dollar is usually empty when it opens and you shouldn't have a problem getting machines together. They open at 4:00 pm. They have about 15 machines. Full pay starts at the $.50 level. I believe they also have $.25 levels on the machines but the pay table is not optimal. I don't play DDB (98.98%) when JoB (99.54%) is available so I wasn't looking for it, but I can't imagine it's not there...most popular game with a nice house edge. They make a very good drink in there...unlike the swill in a plastic cup they serve at the other bar.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mr Bulldops

Mr Bulldops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best game they offer at 50c+ on those machines is Bdlx at 99.64%. Can be a bit more volatile than JoB, but I find it a more entertaining since all 4oaks pay 400.

Checking out the new Rio!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

Agree on JoB. My preferred game is BP. Still get 2 coins for 2pair - best of both worlds. I do play Bdlx when we are at the GG at the bar but it's 8-6.

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everything I've heard about sand dollar makes me think that they would NOT change their operating hours for NFL football.

The current hours are 4p to 4a daily.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Saul.d

Saul.d Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wouldn't the $500 bonus over the royal still put you in taxable territory anyways?

7. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

From what i understand is that I would get $500 in free play added to the card with the coupon. So no tax implications on a royal on $0.25 game since it would be $1K payout.

I was more talking about the how my group would do the split since we normally do $300/300/400 for a $1K royal when we play together. Not sure how we would do it if it's a $2K royal.

8. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

That sucks. Guess I will hope they open early for NFL, but plan on going at 4pm.

9. Saul.d

Saul.d Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    now that IS interesting. If it is, then its worth more than I thought.

10. Dms79

Dms79 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uhh… $600/$600/$800?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Saul.d

Saul.d Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Considering the one getting the w-2g is due for about $600 of taxes it would be more like $466/$466/$1066 for an equal split

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Mr Bulldops

Mr Bulldops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which kind of also begs the question - why did they limit that $500 LVA RF offer to Sand Dollar when it has such limited hours? I know plenty of people (myself included) that enjoy playing earlier in the day. At the very least, they could have made it valid at SD only after 4PM.

Checking out the new Rio!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Saul.d

Saul.d Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe to avoid people grinding it out at the 100%+ Joker Poker 25c machines.

14. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

Yea I was trying to make it fair for the guy that has to foot the tax bill at the end of the year. I think your $600 in taxes sounds reasonable to take off the top. So in reality we would be spitting a $1,400 royal. To be honest I was thinking more like $700 (35% off the top) in taxes. So we were close. To keep it to round numbers, I will suggest $400/$400 and the balance goes to the W2-G recipient.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dms79

Dms79 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there one/any of the group that can itemize/"eat" W2Gs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. vpmikey

vpmikey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve played at bars that were closed several times before. The TVs are on, and the cocktail waitresses come by for drinks just like the slot floor. You don’t HAVE to wait till 4 o’clock to start playing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Dms79

Dms79 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the 2023 NFL Championships games weekend, they were open before 4 p.m. Seems like they are opening less and less before then as they have some slow days when there’s not live music, so it’s always good to check with them to see opening time on any given day.

All the full pay starts at 50 cents. I would assume that 25c BP is 7/5 but IDK as I’d never voluntarily play sub-FP poker as long as it’s accessible at $1 stakes. You’re giving up about 1.15% to downgrade when your tax burden for W2Gs is about .5% so… you do you. :)

No idea on DDB pay tables but I think for 50 cent and above it’s the 99% version.

This is different. The Sand Dollar is operated by a 3rd party that owns the original location (on Spring Mountain I think) as well. It has locking doors so you’re not playing/hanging out there until it opens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

I itemize, but have never gotten a W2G since I usually play $0.25 machines and no slots. In reading about how to offset it, it looks like I can write off losses (assuming I have any) up to that amount when I itemize. I only go to Vegas once a year. So it will depend on whether I have a winning trip. But thanks for the heads up.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Grasp

Grasp Low-Roller

They were open early (~11 am) for March Madness in 2023, but that did not seem to be the case this year. They are trying to balance staffing with demand and there's a chance they'll open early on Sat/Sun during football season, but who knows. The place is a real gem and hopefully they can figure out how to make it work long term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Saul.d

Saul.d Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    is the 25c game 8/6 JOB? seems 7/5 is so much much worse than 9/6

FP 9/6 JOB: -1200 coins for taxable RF +1000 coins for $500 bonus
    upload_2024-6-12_11-5-48.png
    8/6* JOB with 6000 coin RF ($1000 + $500 bonus) no w-2g
    upload_2024-6-12_11-6-51.png

• Like Like x 1