1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sam's Town? Fill me in please

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by Renaldow, Sep 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a note on the bus to the strip. It is the 202, not the 203. Enjoyed your other observations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, I found it very easy to go on the BHX to Boulder Station as the bus drops right in front. However, coming back was a different matter. There we are really tempted to jay walk because there is a stop directly across Boulder Highway, but to get to it one has to walk a good distance to the intersection with a crosswalk. I no longer walk long distances well, so if I go to Boulder Station again, I'll probably Uber back. Stopping there on the way from Sam's Town to downtown would be easy. I might do that.

3. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jaywalking in Vegas is just another form of gambling.

TomTWI

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you try Angry Butcher, Sports Book Deli, or Bowling Alley Snack Bar?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not do Angry Butcher on my stay but it looked like a place I would like to try.

As to the sports book deli, they rather quickly annoyed me when I had checked the previous day and verified they had (limited) breakfast items, and then discovered the next morning that they don't open until something like 11am.

Still, if I am staying at Sam's Town (especially with no shuttle) I will have a rental car, so a minor lack of on site dining options doesn't bother me much.

6. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know what you mean. I rode the BHX from Sam's to Boulder Station several years ago; and like you wrote, the return bus stop was anything but convenient. In fact, I said the hell with it and walked all the way back to Sam's!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went downtown today and paid a bit of attention to bus stops. If we are going from Boulder Station to Sam's or the Longhorn, we can get on the bus going downtown for five minutes, getting off at Sahara. We can then easily cross the intersection and get on the BHX going back toward Sam's Town. If I decide I want to go to Boulder Station and back, I'll do that. It did not look Like Arizona Charlie's was any easier, so I'd do it from there as well. If paying full fare, you could buy a 24 hour pass for $5 and save a dollar. Seniors can get that for $2.50 with exact change, but we only save 50 cents. However, if in the 24 hours we plan more bus rides, we would save more with a residential pass. I'm reading that the driver issues them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a note on taking the BHX from downtown back to Sam's Town or Longhorn. The stop to find is on Carson behind the D. It is not the stop on Carson behind the Golden Nugget. That is just for the Deuce. This stop is just after Carson and 4th. Across the street is a large parking garage with distinctive metal railings and stairs painted an unusual red. The stop is marked. Three buses visit it.
    My ride down was not crowded at all, but I came back at supper time and the bus did fill up. The driver actually stopped taking passengers. But full does not mean two to a seat.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ANGRY BUTCHER.

Earlier in this thread Annbrown has some grand photos of Sam's Town, including the table where I sat and the unique buns and butter.
    Here was my experience:
    Went to the Angry Butcher restaurant at Sam's Town. I loved it.

I will certainly go back next week.

The other day the entire area that juts out into the artificial park with animals was full. Tonight I went as they opened and got a fine seat right near the railing. There was still room in the area an hour or so later when I left.

The hard part of eating solo is being entertained while eating. Here I had the sound of the rushing waterfall, the noises of artificial birds, including the eagle which I could see tipping his head from side to side. A lion perked up her ears and turned her head. The bear at one point let out a mighty roar. I could hear the owl. I think the owl is my favorite.

Also entertaining was to people watch as folks walked by. In this way the place is like a cafe that puts tables out near the sidewalk.

While I am always aware that the entire place, except the waterfall is artificial, I still like it. Perhaps I like that it has been there since I first visited Sam's Town years ago.

This is the pricey restaurant at Sam's, but the food is very good and the service perfect.

First came a round baking pan of delicious rolls. These were moist and wonderful, especially with the spiced butter they serve in a small round ceramic. Of the five, I ate three, and I forgot to take the other two with me.

Next came oysters Rockefeller which they allowed me to order with no Hollandaise sauce. It still had a good bit of creamed spinach, but it was delicious. I can't get oysters the was I best like them, which is sauteed in their own juices with perhaps a little garlic. These were $15 for six.

Next came steak au poive made with beef medalions, two pieces about the size of a hamburger. I am fussy about the sauce, but this was just fine. Every sauce is a bit different. Americans usually do not have very many peppercorns.

Compared to Mon Ami Gabi, there was a bit less steak, but just as good flavor and more sauce.

With it I had mashed potato which were good.

For dessert I had a double expresso for $12. It was grand tasting. I wanted to stretch out my stay a bit and watch and listen to the park noises.

I just drank water and ice and lemon with my meal. In fact, I had a good bit of lemon because there was a big chunk with oysters, or which I used just a dribble.

I also used my Benson's salt substitute on the oysters and liked that. I did not need it on any other dish.

I use a good bit of black pepper, and the grinder on the table was perfect. At other fancy places, when they come to the table, I get pepper once as they make a huge show of using the long pepper grinder. In cheaper restaurants half the time the pepper does not shake out of the little holes. I have to take the top off and carefully get some. This was just perfect, the pepper came out and I was in charge.

I did see the large cut of prime rib and it looked wonderful. I may get that next time, but the petite cut would be plenty for me.

For those who like sports, they did have two televisions set up inside, one at the bar, and one another place. I was happy to avoid them.

The passing people were at a good distance, and they did not interact. If anyone made eye contact, I nodded and usually they nodded back. And one pretty girl smiled as she passed.

If one pretty girl is going to smile at me, I certainly don't have time to watch hockey.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 3
  10. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Add to the warnings not to jaywalk a warning not to walk Boulder after dark. I have not been coming back to the Longhorn from Sam's Town after dark and I did not give it a thought. And I did not have any issues, but when I hit the elevator another guest was there with groceries from a place on Flamingo called Smith's. He had been repeated asked for money there and when he repeatedly said no, the fellow threw something into the grocery. I did not get the exact details, as we were just on an elevator together, but Smith's had driven him home. Apparently, it was a common occurrence there. Disturbing. It is so foolish of me not to just grab a bus from Sam's to the Longhorn for a dollar and insure being safe. Sorry to have to report such things. The whole incident was disturbing to the fellow and puzzling as to why Smith's would not get the police involved. I did not ask, but I suspect this fellow had taken the 202 to get there. As far as groceries go, I get mine in the day time at Walmarts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have gone now to Sam's Town in the morning about seven times and never found it busy. Very few people.
    I think The Angry Butcher is uncrowded at 4 PM and that is a good time to get a seat by the balcony overlooking the Mystic Falls. I have won't be here to see the Christmas light display, but I understand that it will be installed by November 24..
    Mystic Falls Winter Wonderland | Las Vegas Shows & Events (visitlasvegas.com)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regarding the BHX bus from Sam's to downtown. I took it today, and I missed the downtown stop because I'm just too slow. The next stop is a good ways, it is the BTC. Many of you would just walk back, but I did not want to tire myself before walking around Fremont and I'm not to thrilled with the area. So, I just took the BHX back, squandering another whole dollar.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great Killers album

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the Sam's town Angry Butcher steak au poivre again and it did not disappoint. this time I got thicker cuts, but just two pieces. So, if you have a huge appetite, you want a different steak or prime rib. It was plenty for me. It was amazing how tender it was. I am so tired of getting tough cuts of meat everywhere. This is fillet mignon, sliced into what they call medallions. This one also had more peppercorns than my last. I liked it better. this time I had the homemade potato chips and took half the huge portion back with me. I also had the crab cake and it was very tasty, but I just don't taste much crab in these crab cakes. I think I'm spoiled with fresh crab in Florida. I missed getting a seat right by the balcony, but the table a bit in from there still gave a good view and ambiance of the Mystic Falls. All the sound of that water means that there is no music. I sure like that.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Renaldow

Renaldow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you to everyone who added something to this thread. It turns out that I had to cancel this trip, unfortunately.

16. Downtown Fan

Downtown Fan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did Sam's have coffee makers in the room? It says they do on their website.

Cal - Downtown
  17. annbrown57

annbrown57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they do, with 2 reg & 2 decaf coffees & condiments

18. Downtown Fan

Downtown Fan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keurig or not? Thank you.

Cal - Downtown
  19. annbrown57

annbrown57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not Keurig cups, they were packets. I don’t drink coffee and gave mine to Ty & Kim, they can give the best answer as I didn’t pay much attention. Sorry

@Ty - can you help?

20. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not Keurig. It's the disposable plastic tray with paper coffee pack. We enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.