1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rough hand at 1/3 NLHE last night... Flopped the nuts and still lost

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by TRN, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 Hot Dogs and Buns

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just venting...

Had my $300 buy-in up to $1100ish, a combination of well timed bluffs and good hands. Had a good groove going. Didn't even have to crack open a beer and play like a 1/3 donk.

Get into a hand with the other big stack. First mistake...

I am on BB with J-10 suited. He raises pre-flop from the button to $25 (yes, that was the open). I decided to call just to see what I might hit, since I was up so much. And if I whiffed I'd get out with air or marginal hands.

Flop comes AKQ... two clubs (my JT were spades though).

I lead out for $40, he raises to $220. I said I can't let you buy this one, and shoved em in. Hey it's a cash game, not a tournament. He snap-called.

He says "you have the straight?" Yes, yes I do. He shows his AK.

I looked at the dealer and said "don't even do it, Jesse".

Sure enough, turn is an Ace. I left after that hand, didn't feel like tilting off any more at that point. Cut my losses and play again when I land in LV next week :)

Celebrating the better half's 40th! - Rescheduled due to Covid
  2. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only mistake maybe was the pre-flop call, otherwise it's not a mistake that you played a hand against the big stack and got all your money in as a 10:1+ favorite. It hurts, yeah, but if it held up as it should have you would have had one hell of a night for 1/3.

3. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You didn't mention his starting stack.

You got your hand in good on the flop - can't dispute that. You should be happy about that.

Insta-fold preflop. You are out of position. Although JTs looks good, it's losing heads up to any Qx , Kx or Ax. And if you think he's opening loose, then raise preflop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I am a pre-flop calling station, you got that right.

I am not that loose in bigger stakes and tournaments. In 1/3 it's hard for me to feel enough pressure to lay it down though, especially when I'm up.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  5. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel for you. I was playing in 2007 when everyone thought they were going to be the next Chris Moneymaker. I don't mind people sitting with earplugs in and hoodies tied tight to hide their faces. Do whatever you want so long as you don't bother men.

Anyway, I was in a 2/4 NLHE game on the Strip on a Thursday night. There were long lines and waiting lists and it was a pretty good game. The buy-in was $500 and I was up to about $2000 and having a really relaxing and fun night.

After a few hours, everyone was getting along, a few bad beats, but no one was screaming or throwing a fit. I was SB with A-K of hearts. Two people limped in so I raised to $10 to see if they were going to stick around. They both did.

Flop: 7H 3H AD

I bet $25 and they both called.

Turn: 8C

I checked and the next player bet $50. Called by other player and I raised to $100. Called by the original bettor and the other player folded. I assumed that the player was chasing a flush or straight based upon his previous play but started to smell two pair.

River: 6H

At this point I will point out the obvious. I did not think there was any way I could lose. And I know you can all predict what happened next...... He was betting with the 4H and 5H. I lost about $1000, cashed out and thought it could have been worse.

After the river he bet, I raised and he only called (yes, he made a mistake there). Oh well, keep the faith, play the odds and don't bet more than you can afford to lose.

6. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After you play enough, nothing surprises you, and we've all been on both ends of that kind of hand LOL

Rough one though, couldn't go anywhere on that hand.

• Like Like x 1
  7. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amen, TRN. I neglected to mention the nut full house I pulled on the river when there were 5 other players with straights and flushes. The board was a mess of face cards and I should not have kept playing except I was on a bit of a hot streak. A couple of the players were pissed that I sucked out on the river and threw mini-fits. I was more than willing to take their comments since I won about $1500.00.

I will be going back to Las Vegas on June 8 and will likely have some more stories to share (good and bad).

8. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1/3 is usually a symphony of bad beats as players call knowing they only have 3-4 outs and sooner or later they hit... usually I TRY to leave after tripling up in Vegas but usually having such a good time I stay which is 90% The wrong thing to do in NL... glad you got this bad beat out of the way before vegas...looking forward to your posts from poker nirvana

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey I am going June 9, where will you be playing?

10. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This trip will be mostly craps as I have tired of the long hours at the poker tables. But I am sure that hold'em will call to me. If I play, I guess I will try downtown. You going to be burning the tables on the Strip?

11. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably, but was going to drop in and give the uncapped 1/2 or 2/5 game at Golden Nugget a shot at some point too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES this is exactly what I was telling myself as I pulled myself out and cut my losses there ;)

13. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even tho you might should have folded being out of position but, after he sees you pushing all in then he "snap" calls saying "you have a straight?" What a freaking idiot!!! He knows he lost yet he's taking chance? I'm sue he only invested 1/4 his stack? He just got really lucky... good thing you walked away...you are the smart player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.