1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by abescan, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abescan

abescan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    anyone know where you can get Rocky Mountain Oysters in Las Vegas area or on the way from Phoenix.

2. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No idea but thought that was more a Plains item than a Southwest item ?

I have seen them in Montana and Wyoming, deep fried as I recall. Long time ago though.

Side note........drive the speed limit from Kingman to Vegas if you go that way......heard it is well patrolled :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  3. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People eat those? Really? I thought they were a joke. It hurts just to think about it.

4. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Rocky Mountain oysters, also known as prairie oysters in Canada, also calf fries, is a dish made of cattle testicles. The organs are often deep-fried after being peeled, coated in flour, pepper and salt, and sometimes pounded flat. This delicacy is most often served as an appetizer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_oysters

I don't remember the occasion of the party that was being prepped for, it may have been a Christmas party based on the timing and the deer hunting stories/trophies I was shown, but there were two cowboys with a huge collection of calf testicles collected during the year prepping them to be fried that evening. These are folks that make their living working cattle (and all kinds of other ranch-related chores) for various ranchers around the area. I didn't go back in the evening for the party, so I didn't taste them, but I am sure they did a good job with them.

I've done a little of that kind of work with my tiny herd of cattle; I never took the time to save them to eat later!

Two 21st Birthday Celebrations
    Spring 2019 Sky Suites Trip
  5. budroux2w

budroux2w Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If done right, they are fantastic!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought Searsucker had them at Caesars, but I don't see them on the menu on their website.

Do you have access to a car? I wonder if one of the outlying "southern restaurants" serve them.

7. abescan

abescan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes , we are driving from Phoenix on Sunday and staying at MSS. I'll keep checking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.