1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rock N Roll Running Series - Strip shut down

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Ballin', Jan 23, 2023 at 5:48 PM.

1. Ballin'

Ballin' Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,

Heading to Vegas in February and just found out the Rock N Roll Running series will be going on that same weekend. Looks like they'll be shutting the strip on Saturday and Sunday night for the running events.

Has anybody been there for this event? If so, how good/bad is it getting around? Or if you haven't been there for this, have you been for another event that shut it down? I was hoping to head downtown on Saturday night, but am concerned about the taxi/ride share situation and traffic.

Thanks for the help!

2. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have run all of them. They don't shut the strip down on Saturday night, the 5k is downtown. Probably not a good idea going downtown if you are hoping to get a taxi or Uber back to the strip. Sunday is a different story. They start closing down the strip around noon and it stays closed until around 10:00pm. They will open south end sooner as all of the runners will have passed that area sooner. I have been told by taxi drivers that a lot of them take that night off because of this. I tried to get a taxi several years ago back to MB when the race used to start in front of Mandalay Bay. It took over 30 minutes to get one at Flamingo and there were maybe 10 ahead of me. The race now starts south of PH and ends in front of Mirage. I don't have any experience being downtown for the 5k, but there is also an event for all of the participants downtown saturday night at the downtown las vegas events center from 3-9pm.
    https://www.runrocknroll.com/las-vegas

3. Mycatspot

Mycatspot I drink my breakfast and play in my PJ's.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there last year and will be there again this year - my niece and her friends run the half marathon. Saturday night the 5K begins downtown at 5pm and ends on Fremont. If you time you trip downtown on Sat a few hours after you might be ok or go Friday night if that’s an option

Birthdays, Rock and Roll Marathon, Jimmy Buffett Redux
    Dragging my suitcase down the hallway…….
  4. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We ran the races last year. We took a rideshare to Downtown and had to bail and walk to the start village as we got stuck in traffic. If you’re going downtown I would aim to be there by mid-afternoon. Getting back wasn’t an issue, we grabbed a taxi from Binions and was back at Park MGM pretty quickly. We left shortly after the race ended and didn’t stick around for the concert so not sure what it was like after that.

Can’t really say what Sunday was like from a non-runner perspective. They were opening up LVB as the last runners were going through and there are cut off times where they will start opening the roads by regardless if all runners have passed yet or not.

5. Ballin'

Ballin' Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback!

Does the race/shut downs happen near Circa? That's where we'll be spending most of our time that night, so if it's possible to get in and out from there, perhaps it may not be as bad?

6. SoCalMon

SoCalMon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I participated last year in the 10k on the sunday on the strip staying downtown at the cal. I arrived to vegas saturday the day before the race stopping at Resorts World to pick up my bib and gear. Then my mom and I left there at 5pm ish and then took sammy davis drive (then turns into s industrial road and s grand central parkway) to odgen to the cal. No traffic. These diirections is if your coming from resorts world on the saturday to downtown. If your arriving into vegas on the saturday and your not running the race, you can still get off freeway earlier if you like and take that street or take freeway all the way to 515 and get off at the first exit like your going to the cal. These directions are for those driving. If you are taking uber or taxi downtown, ask to get dropped off at the cal and then you can go wherever. The saturday start line is the street by the D and walgreens. If you are taking public transit, the bus will use an alternate route and drop you off where they can drop you off as close at they can to downtown. To make it easier, go to the bus stop in between nyny and exculibur and catch the cx for 2 bucks that will drop you off between binions and fremont. Saturday 5k starts at 5pm btw.

For sunday 10k and half marathon, we looked at the road closure times and went uptown at 10am in the morning by bus to avoid the later traffic when more roads got closed and hung out uptown til it was time for me to run the race. I am doing the half marathon and 5k this year. I am stepping up my game a bit. :)

7. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You’ll be good over at Circa however I can’t say for sure how busy Main or Ogden will be.

Here’s the race course for the 5k on Saturday. The race start time is 5pm and the time limit is 1 hour so they will start opening up things slowly by 6pm.

5FF71536-E3BB-40D7-A781-E0E5936EFA1B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ballin'

Ballin' Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the help everyone, these comments are very helpful.

Related, definitely love this message board for being around to get help like this.

• Like Like x 1