1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rio Masquerade or Carioca Suites?

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by Chrisbeans, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrisbeans

Chrisbeans High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've never stayed at the Rio before, but decided to book there since we're planning to do a WSOP event in June. We're currently booked in a comped Classic Queen and have been offered to upgrade to these suites at $60 (Masquerade) or $69 (Carioca) per night.

Has anyone ever stayed in either of these suites and would you recommend we take the upgrade? How are the rooms - newly renovated? Outdated decor? Smelly? Noisy?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed in a masquerade suite once. The decor was a bit outdated (this was around 6 years ago). According to the pics on the rio website looks like they have been updated since then. The masquerade suites are huge. Around 1600 sq. ft. Floor to ceiling windows with a strip view was pretty awesome. I'd definitely stay in one again depending on the price. Wasn't noisy at all, but I could imagine you might get some noise on the higher floors due to voodoo. I think it would definitely be worth the $60 a night especially if you can get one with a strip view. Never stayed in a Carioca suite so can't comment there.

3. MiDenny

MiDenny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have also done the Masquerade suites a few times. We were fortunate to be comped for the most part, but I would jump on it at $60. We loved the views whether we were facing the strip or the mountains. I think the last time was a little over a year ago for us, but the furnishings had not been updated. Even if they are still dated, I really don't think you would regret it at that price. Never had an issue with odors or noise. Haven't had the opportunity to try a Carioca yet. Good luck and enjoy!

4. justmare

justmare High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used to be Rio regulars, but it's been years ago.

Masquerade suite is in the Masquerade Tower (the taller, elliptical shaped tower). Each suite is the whole rounded "end" of the tower. They are huge and nice with a big (actually, very long) bathroom. It does appear that they've been recently renovated by looking at the website picture, which was badly needed even back when we were staying in them. You won't necessarily get a strip view, though, unless you get the side of the tower facing the strip.

Carioca suites are in the Ipanema tower (the shorter, 3 wing tower). We preferred this suite even though it was smaller than the Masquerade suite. Part of the reason for the preference was that they had already been renovated (and Masquerade had not), but we also just enjoyed the room set-up more. They have a jetted tub in the bedroom by the window, and getting one with a "53" ending always gave us a very nice view.

It's been so long that I can't remember any other details to give you, sorry. But paying the upgrade fee for either of them is a bargain IF you plan to spend a good amount of time in your room.

5. Chrisbeans

Chrisbeans High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for your first-hand experience info! Just what I was looking for. We definitely plan on upgrading now!

6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from the Rio, you definitely want to upgrade. The "classic" rooms in the Masquerade tower are crap. The suites are decent, certainly showing their age. If for some reason you don't want to pay extra just do a $20 sandwich and at least get a room in the Ipanema tower. Those are better than the standard rooms in the other tower.

I've stayed at the Rio my last 3 trips and while I still like the property the rooms definitely need the be redone. Maybe once Caesars is done with Harrah's they'll do the Rio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.