1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rio Letter regarding Legionnaires Disease

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by vinniemac274, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinniemac274

vinniemac274 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See attached for the letter I received from the Rio after having stayed there in April...

1.) This story broke *June 13*
    2.) The letter is dated *Jun 22*
    3.) It arrived today: **July 15**

That... is not good.

Attached Files:

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's just ducky! :(

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I probably get 5 emails a day from Total Rewards, yet this arrived a month later.

• Like Like x 1
  4. David Grant

David Grant Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at the rio in June and got the letter through my door.
    I didn't think it an issue then and still don't. Simply the resort covering it self from any possible litigation.
    The chances of anyone catching the disease are extremely slim and when you consider the number of people at the WSOP I'm sure if it was an issue we would have heard.
    Would it put me off going back? No.
    Would the location and resort fee put me off going back? Absolutely.

David

• Like Like x 1
  5. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. I'm staying at the Rio on my next trip to Las Vegas. I'm at odds. First, thinking I should move hotels to avoid a structure with a f*cked up water system. Second, thinking that they would fully flush the system with chlorine and really clean out the bacteria making the place actually the safest hotel to be around the water. I'll probably do the later and just stay there but I'm not happy about the need for a letter nor how slow they were to get the information to you.
    Two trips ago I stayed at Bally's and I got a letter in my room warning me of the Norovirus being active in the complex and to be sure to wash my hands often. CZR really needs to get on top of their maintenance crews. We don't hear about cuts in personnel behind the scenes.

6. vinniemac274

vinniemac274 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This assessment seems unfair on a few points. First, the presence of legionella is probably more of a symptom of low occupancy rates than something wrong with the water system; if you keep water within a certain temperature range and there are dead ends in the water system than you WILL eventually have a problem. Shower heads are horrible for this. I agree however that the fact that there has been treatment probably makes it statistically safer than a place that has never had the problem.

Finally, norovirus is spread by the bad behavior of humans; no amount of regular cleaning would make a difference. That's why cruise ships are brought to grinding halts...

7. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The press release from the Southern Nevada Heath District was June 9. The report says two cases are being investigated which is small but I'm surprised this hasn't had more coverage by local news sources.

http://southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/news17/20170609-snhd-investigating-two-cases-of-legionnaires-disease.php

8. vinniemac274

vinniemac274 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I missed that one in the fine print the last time I checked into a hotel: Normal, healthy guests are welcome. Those over 50, current or former smokers, immune compromised, those with lung problems, chemo patients, those with diabetes, liver or kidney problems, go somewhere else.

10. vinniemac274

vinniemac274 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm really not understanding the irrational snark here. You can catch Legionnaires from your own shower head. Two people does not indicate anything substantially wrong with a water system. (It could have been an extremely isolated source!) Appropriate remediation took place.

Legionella happens. Are you aware that OSHA has numbers for acceptable levels legionella in water, and it isn't zero?

The only thing that merits fault here is the extreme delay in alerting recent guests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.