1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rio 5/12 - 5/16

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by ddashner, May 12, 2024.

1. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I know better than to try to do this live. No way I'll keep up on that. Hopefully I'll at least get some updates in over the next few days.
    Original plan was for Luxor which was comped for a regular room, but we wanted to upgrade to the "big" suite. With resort fees added on we were looking at like $250. Had that booked when the wife got an offer in the mail from Rio for compes plus no resort fees. Sorry, Luxor, but we can't pass up free.
    Last Rio trip was fine other than ridiculous check in process that involved like a two hour long wait in line. Interested to see if that has improved with the other changes. Also, to be fair, that was over super bowl so probably busier than usual.
    Currently waiting for our plane.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 19
  2. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love to hear about the Rio. Taking my first look at the new place in a day or so

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Decided to hit the men's room before boarding and heard the funniest thing I've ever heard in a restroom.
    Two guys who were obviously friends at the two urinals next to me. One of them tells the other "nice watch"
    I was dying, but couldn't comment due to the breach of etiquette that would have been. Trip is off to a good start so far!

• Funny Funny x 12
  4. annbrown57

annbrown57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at Rio a couple weekends ago and had a great time. They did check me in at the VIP registration as I was also on an offer, and said “no problem” when I asked about it. There were only 2 of us checking in around 10 AM.
    Have a great trip & good luck!

• Like Like x 7
  5. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Open seat! Counting this as a win.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sickie's Garage for lunch / dinner on arrival. Late lunch time here but dinner time back home. Pretty full so doubt we eat again today. Had good intentions of posting pics of food, but totally forgot until it was all gone except for some tater tots and coleslaw. Great burger options here. Tons of variety. Probably should have ordered them a little more rare than they came, but otherwise quite good. Decent tap list too.

• Like Like x 6
  7. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check in was painless. Got an email, scanned driver's license (which was a slight struggle to get it to actually scan) then printed keys at kiosk. Total time was under 5 minutes. 20240512_173521.jpg 20240512_173526.jpg 20240512_173409.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  8. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20240513_103304.jpg $10 including tip for 2 hot dogs, a popcorn, and a Heineken at slots a fun. They made the right decision putting the coin droppers in here and bringing it back from the dead. Wouldn't say it was busy, but for Monday morning it was ok. Definitely better than on prior trips.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 1
  9. ohcraps

ohcraps Full press - keep the change!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any chance you know which brand they offer on the hot dogs? :D

10. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't see it advertised anywhere. I've had worse. No crunchy bits or anything. I'd say the hooves and snouts content was about average for a hot dog.

• Funny Funny x 12
  11. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice start so far! Good luck!

12. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great trip. Enjoy Rio.

13. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Following along. Thanks for posting about the kiosk check-in. I have an upcoming stay at The Rio and am very interested in this. I was worried about really long lines to reach a human check-in agent (complaints here in the past have said TWO HOURS!), but if you did it in 5 minutes, I'm feeling better. Did you get the quality and amenities and area of room that you were expecting even using the kiosk? The pictures you posted make it look good-- I'd be happy to stay there.

Glad to hear Slot 'o Fun is headed in the upward direction. For too long it's been dismal there. $10 for what you got on the Strip is an amazing deal for the year 2024!

Have a great stay!

• Like Like x 1
  14. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked high floor strip view and that's what we got from the online check in / kiosk. Hotel doesn't seem that busy so it shouldn't be that hard for them to get people where they want to be. Might be a different story if it was packed.

15. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dinner at Tacos and Beer for happy hour specials. $3 street tacos and $5 modelo. Since the wife watches carbs I ended up with her tortillas too. Side of beans to fill them. 30 some bucks and I am stuffed. I have a feeling she probably isn't though. Ended up picking this place after seeing an eating challenge on YouTube. Beardmeatsfood had a 15 taco dinner. One of the more reasonably sized things I've seen him eat, but based on my meal I don't think I'd have finished.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I called to verify my reservation I was told not to use kiosks, they don't work. o_O So I stood in line, 3 times so far as my room keys have stopped working twice.

I'm curious @ddashner did you have any cups in your room? Or wash clothes? I did get an ice bucket.

17. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time we were here kiosks didn't work. This time they were fine. I'll check on the other stuff when we get back to the room. Definitely have an ice bucket, but I don't know about cups or wash cloth.

18. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried asking in the hallway today and did manage to get a wash cloth. Apparently they are in short supply. Couldnt get any cups though. o_O

Edit...you definitely got the better view.

20240513_185639.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had to visit the mantis VideoCapture_20240513-194412.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything worth seeing at the mantis park?