1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Riding the Deuce/SDX and Rideshare Comparison: A Summary and Review with tips

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by LVisBeautiful, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just got back from Vegas..it was amazing. After some crazy ride shares, we opted to try bus transit. I wanted to offer a helpful rundown of my experiences with both.

Rideshare:

Where to go,

Follow the signs above the baggage claim or past the Clear Stations to Level 2M in the McCarron Parking Garage. You will go outside for a few moments, then ride the elevator up to the rideshare area. Your rideshare will pull into a parking space and text you the location, then you go out and find it. The drivers don't always get this right, sometimes its best to call/text them and ask them where they are at.

Drivers cannot pick you up at the curb! If they do this they will get fined. Don't ask them to do this! Go to the rideshare area to get picked up!

I have ridden rideshare for years on my Vegas Trips. Here is my rundown.

1. There are several options for pick up. For Uber Express Pool it is Uber Pool, Uber X, Uber XL, and other options for physically challenged etc.

Uber Express Pool/Lyft Express Line is randomly offered in Vegas. I have not see it every time. Obviously because they want to make money on tourists. Its used a lot in other cities like San Francisco. In this case, you use walking directions to move to a specific pick up location. The idea is the driver will get several people at once in this location.

Uber Pool/Lyft Line Pool is offered a lot (especially coming from the airport). This is where you will share a car with another person. I would NOT recommend this going TO the airport. The reason why, is the driver can pick up other people on the route. Therefore, the driver may take longer than the estimate drop time. (ie. the other person is lost, cannot find the car, waits the whole 5 minutes, traffic on their route etc). Pool is excellent when hopping around different places on the strip because people tend to go in the same directions either (Northbound or Southbound)

Uber X/ Lyft is the standard ride share. You will be taken directly to your destination. Here are some things you can do on your Uber X/Lyft: go directly to your stop, make an extra stop, and change your destination, or set an open destination. The clock will be ticking though. Uber X/Lyft is great coming out of the airport if you want to stop at CVS/Walgreens, dispensary, or liquor store, or In and Out burger. We always hit that before we get to the expensive food on the Strip.

Uber XL /Lyft Lux this is used if you have a lot of people sharing the ride or have large luggage. Or maybe you want just a fancy car to drop you off at your destination. Like regular Uber X/Lyft you can also make a stop, change your destination, set an open destination.

ProTips:
    1. Be sure that you pull up your GPS on long routes - example from the Airport to the Strip. Lyft and Uber are always going through new drivers that have no clue how to pick you up from the airport and where to drop you off. When you see the fee estimate, remember you are getting charged for the mileage and ride, that fee estimate is not guaranteed if the driver goes on goose chase---be aware.

2. Look on your phone at the driver coming in. If the driver seems confused like circling (exception is pool rides, they may be picking someone else up), hasn't gotten started in 2-3 minutes, or is too far away, cancel it and get a new one. You have 5 minutes to cancel your ride. I do it all the time. Sometimes, at popular destinations such as the airport, Downtown, or hotel drop offs on Strip, there are dozens of drivers waiting to get called up. If they pull in one from far away, you can cancel it and try again to get one sitting there.

3. Be clear and firm about what you want to do, pull up a translation, in case you get a foreign driver, be ready. If the driver doesn't want to stop at McDonalds for you on a regular ride (not pool), then asked to be left at McDonalds and get another driver, then leave an honest (not angry review). If your ride starts going haywire and its safe to do so...GET OUT OF THE CAR. Remember the clock is ticking, best to get out of the car

4. Don't be a jerk. Remember, you are getting rated too, if you are a jerk, you will not get as good of drivers.

5. Kickbacks. Your driver will get a kickback if they take you to a dispensary and/or certain liquor stores. Sometimes they will recommend one. If its on your way go for it! Be sure to let your driver walk in with you and get their bonus. When this happens, I don't leave an extra tip, my opinion kickbacks are enough.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bus Service

Now for the bus service. Before we start, I want you to know I use rideshare back and forth to the airport. Then I switch to bus. You can use bus service the whole way, but with luggage it just feels like a lot so I don't do it. If you are a single person or even with a friend, it may make sense to do this instead of rideshare. I recommend rideshare for groups.

Tickets: You can purchase $8 tickets at most stops on the Strip and at the airport (follow ground transportation signs).
    You can also purchase 24 hour tickets for all the busses using the RTC app this is available on android and google play. I would recommend you use the app and keep your phone charged or pop it in your wallet. Remember it is only a 24 hour pass. It can be used on both the Deuce and all RTC buses (SDX/WAX etc)

Stop Times: At each stop look for the stop ID tag and put the number into your RTC app, i cannot remember the exact place and it will tell you how long before the bus is coming.

Bus Drivers: Drivers are NICE for the most part. Drivers are expecting you to ask questions and will help you out. Don't be a wallflower here or you will be walking a LOT.

Best Seats: Upstairs in the front seat, perfect for getting clear pics, instas..etc

How to get on: Take your cardboard pass and swipe it like a credit card (bus driver will help). Or take your phone app (have it ready) and scan it.

How to get off: If you are upstairs, walk downstairs one stop before your destination and press "Stop Requested". Stand Up and hold on for one destination then get off. If you are downstairs, same thing, use stop requested.

Routes: The busses (Deuce and RTC/SDX) troll up and down the strip and out to Fremont all day. Each goes in ONE direction and doesn't circle around. So to return to your area you need to CROSS THE STREET.

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.rtcsnv.com/touristms/routes.html

Three Stops in Fremont: 4th and Carson (closest to BInions), Mob Musuem (by Downtown Grand), Las Vegas Blvd (across from El Cortez).

Bonneville Transit Center: BTC is where everything hubs off, so if you are going off Strip/Fremont route, you will most likely end up there. You can take the bus from Airport to BTC, then walk across the street and pick up a Deuce North to get to the Fremont Hotels. There are so many airport options, I just chose this one because that is what I would do if I was coming from the airport.

Using RTC vs. Deuce. If you are on the Strip and are just going up and down or have a specifc hotel, use Deuce. RTC goes up and Down the Strip but it doesn't stop at every hotel. Let's say you are going out to Fremont, and you are at MGM Grand and don't want to stop at every single hotel. Use RTC, then get off at either Bonneville and walk across to the median area for the Duece OR go all the way to 4th and Carson and get off at Binions, then walk to your desitination. RTC, repeat, does not stop everywhere Deuce stops (see map link above).

Bus Courtesy: Remember you MUST PAY, even if it doesn't look like they are collecting money, they will catch you. I saw it happen and described on my Trip report. Do NOT try to walk down the stair while the bus is moving, this is dangerous!!

Final thoughts:

Las Vegas busses are safe! Dive in and don't be scared. We saved a ton of rideshare money on this trip and would use the busses again. I'm sure there is a ton that can be added to this thread too.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weird, thought my reply went through...

Anyways, thanks, that's a great description. Last time I solo ubered from the airport to downtown, and took the ElCo shuttle back. I rented a car for the next trip, but it's good to know about the rideshare option.

Also just tripped over the bike-share program downtown, will be using it from the hotel to Dino's, and to the BTC. link

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.