1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ride RTC App

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by epWick, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any feedback on this phone app? I saw bad reviews about it on play store but some like it. It looks like RTC won't mail order bus passes anymore. Last year I ordered the 15 day pass, then I validated it on the WAX at the airport. Can I do this with the app or will I get flagged for being non-resident? Thanks

2. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I downloaded the app for free and it's main purpose is to buy electronic bus passes with your credit card. Rather than having a paper pass, you scan your phone when you get on the bus. You choose between strip and residential. The strip list has the same ones you see at the kiosk on the street; ex: 3_day for $20. Residential section has the 15 day pass for $34, but also has a 7 day for $20. Of course there are no clear details on if there is id required for residential passes, and if they work on the deuce and sdx. I haven't called to ask yet but I will. Would like to hear your experience. Otherwise I am leaning toward paying the $2 at the airport for the wax to get downtown and then walking to Bonneville transit center to get the safe 15 day all access pass for my week stay. Or if they are sold at Walgreens on Fremont. I would rather pay $20 for the 7 day residential pass electronically on my phone, and be confident that it is all access.

Very surprised that this hasn't been discussed on here yet.

3. jammer23

jammer23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on the poor reviews, it's not worth the headaches since most people will only be in Vegas for less than a week.

4. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I called the customer service number provided on the menu and asked if the electronic residential passes were "all access". At first she didn't understand what I was asking, so I rephrased my question. I asked if I bought the residential electronic 15 day pass on my phone app, can I use it to ride the deuce and sdx busses on the strip? She paused, then sounded like she was reading about it, then put me on hold so she could check. Half a minute and she comes back and says "no sir, the residential passes won't work on the strip". I explained to her that the 15 day residential paper bus pass is all access and you can ride the strip with it. At that point she repeated herself and told me that residential passes won't work on strip busses. I have a feeling that I talked to somebody who didn't know, then she asked a coworker who didn't know either. At that point I didn't ask about whether or not you require a local ID for residential passes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can use the residential pass if you want, of course around here in my town its a $375 fine but whatever. No fighting it either if you dont have id. They also take your pass and kick you off the bus at the next stop.

For the few bucks i would just get the regular one and be done with it. The security gets on the bus at a stop randomly and starts going down the rows asking for tickets. No way to escape from it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually the 15 or 30 day residential paper pass can't be used on the Dueces and SDX unless you are a Vegas local residence.

7. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very good points c.eddie and jejas. There's that level of uncertainty even though we got away with it last time. Why sweat it? So will most likely get the regular strip passes wether they be paper or purchased on phone app. Now the RTC app sells a 5-day strip pass for $34. I didn't see this at the vending machine at Binions last year. Do you know if they sell this pass at the TVM at Bonneville Transit Center or someplace else? This pass would be ideal and might be exclusively sold on the RTC phone app.

8. glock77

glock77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you look at the instructions on the site for the app, it says residential passes are good on the sdx and deuce strip buses now. I emailed them if this was a change. There response was Nevada I'd is no longer required if you use residential pass on sdx and deuce. So I think you can use it or the reduced rate residential pass on them now.

9. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read and reread the RTC site. And Nowhere does it state residents only for the 15 and 30 day. Interested in 15 day since over 60 is $17. Can't buy on app though. Need to get ID at Bonneville, then purchase there. Either they changed it or left that part out when they redid the site

10. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now I'm on the fence again. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get the $20 7-day residential electronic pass for my week stay, and begin using it when I get to the airport?

11. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, so they added some wording to the website part about buying passes. They make it more clear about which passes can be purchased by what method and location. They also made it really clear to say that residential passes are all access on the strip. I re-read everything. FAQ, Terms and Conditions, website, app instructions, and nowhere does it mention having Nevada ID or being a current resident. They only mention residential routes.

So here's what I'm going to do. I will purchase the 7-day residential pass only available with the phone app, and use it to ride all over town during my stay. There is a one time registration before purchasing passes. If no flags go up about not being local while registering and purchasing, I don't think that I will be violating any rules. I'll probably get 30+ rides for $20 which is a great value.

• Like Like x 2
  12. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was told they could. I went to the Bonneville place and asked this exact question on 2nd April this year. We all got our senior passes and a 15 day bus pass. We used it on all services without a problem. Swiping the pass on the deuce caused no issues at all.

Things may have changed since we last used our passes, we used them from 13th to 28th with no problem at all. We had a car when we bought the passes so activated them on our first ride from the airport when dropping the car off.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes as people already mentioned above, RTC changed the rule so that local residence ID is no longer needed.
    It used to be that one of the two (the passenger or the bus route) must be local.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I purchased the 7-day pass and activated it before we got to the airport. It shows a colorful bar when activated, and has a drop down barcode for scanners. I used the pass all week on residential routes, express routes, duece, and strip express without any issues. Some busses have scanners and some don't. Some have scanners that aren't working. Most of the time I just showed the pass on my phone to the bus driver. Other times when it was busy, everyone just gets on without showing anything. One time the scanner said my wife's and my passes were invalid and flashed red. The security guy looked at our passes and told us to get on, said that the scanner probably wasn't working.

I saw very few people using the electronic pass, less than 10%. I found it easy to use and would recommend it. Facilities weren't up to date with technology with lack of working scanners, security officer at Binions stop agreed. Ended up taking 25 trips last week, so less than $1 per ride.

15. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a thread that just will not go away! We discussed it extentsively a couple of years ago. My last trip was in Feb. of 2016. I arrived late afternoon so caught the WAX buying a ticket on the bus. I walked down to the Bonneville Center from downtown the next morning. My reduced fare pass had expired so I got in line to renew it. It didn't even take 5 minutes cause she asked if I wanted a new photo or to use the old one. I chose the old one so she simply used that one and my new pass was done. I bought a Bus Book for a buck along with a pocket guide as I usually do and then a 15 Day Pass. I asked if it was all access because Dewey and others had called several times in past years and was told was by some that it was and by others that it was not. Many of us have used it without incident.

She informed me that it was a residential pass, however, it was not enforced. I asked how long she had worked there and she said she had been trained 15 months before and that was her understanding, and nothing has been changed to her knowledge as far as regulations or enforcement. Like many others back then and apparently now, I used it on the Deuce and Wax......in 2016, and other years on the SDX. She told me that most drivers never check. The first time I had used the WAX and the driver only charged me a buck, I told him I was not local and showed him my reduced fare card which he looked at and told me that it was exactly the same as that of a local.

The reduced fare card requires proof of age (60) using among other ids, a state issued driver license but does not specify, a NV driver license. I looked at my new Reduced Fare Card and it has name an DOB but no address at all.
    I then thought that the 15 day pass must be encrypted or some code must be on it to distinguish it from a full price pass or an out of state holder but I had no problem using it on the Deuce and tho I carried my Reduced Fare card, not one driver asked to see that or an ID with my address.

It is obvious that they want to get as much revenue as possible, and that would be easiest on what tourists would use most. But how many people go for over a week, or use the bus system extensively or want to bother buying passes ahead of time? It doesn't seem to be a big issue, and based on so much ambiguity by their employees that there isn't a lot of concern. There are millions of laws but that doesn't mean that all are enforced esp when 32 million people are riding buses and half of then don't even know they need exact change. It is against the law I am told to spit on the sidewalks. I wonder how many of those are written up?

I think this mystery will continue to pop up and the answer will continue to be the same.......the 15 Day pass is a residential fare that is seldom if ever enforced. Choose the option that you can live with. With way more than 17,000 members here, has anyone been, spoken to? carded? removed form the WAX, SDX or Deuce? Fined?

Jimbo338

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  17. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the addition of the RIDERTC app it has changed somewhat. You can no longer have passes paid for and mailed from online purchase. Nowhere on the app does it ask if you are a resident. Just because a route says residential does nor mean you need to be a resident, just a way to separate the strip routes from residential. On the app you cannot buy reduced fare tickets. That must be done at Bonneville, at least for the 1st time.

18. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We bought a 24 hour residential pass on the WAX a couple of weeks ago. Used it on both the SDX and Deuce, no problem. We ran them through the card strip scanner, it beeped OK, and on we went. The drivers on these buses are in compartments and don't interact with the passengers.

In theory a transit agent may get on a Deuce or SDX bus and check passes, but I've never seen it happen. If it did and they asked me, I'd just say I'd recently moved to Las Vegas and didn't yet have a local ID. They've got bigger things to worry about.

19. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last trip in April I was riding the SDX northbound and a transit agent came on the bus at the Paris stop asking for passes from the people who just boarded. The guy beside me didn't have one and the agent told him to leave the bus. He was not fined, he just left the bus.

Will this trip get cancelled also??? Hope not.
    Will this trip get cancelled also??? Hope not.
  20. KR_5150

KR_5150 Toss the dice, bring the cannolli!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used it in May for the 3-Day Pass. I had no issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.