1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Retrospective Report: Solo NYNY in late May

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Uranium 235, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

After months of waiting, I finally boarded the flight to Vegas for a solo trip to relax, drink, eat, gamble, sleep (yes, that's all...!). Bankroll is humble at about USD 300 per day for Craps, BJ and Video Poker.

Firstly, British Airways sell this seat as 'Club Europe' (otherwise known as Business Class):
    [​IMG]

There is honestly more room on shorter domestic economy fights in Australia. Anyway, the cross-Atlantic ride was much nicer:
    [​IMG]

Upsides of their Club World product: very private, dead flat seat.
    Downsides: the bizarre backwards/forwards sitting with the dividers going up and down. In the end, I was happy enough and expected as much having flown with them previously.

More about British Airways later on...

Upon arrival in LAS, Uber decided to demand an email confirmation and password (even though I'd already taken a dozen rides) so I had to take the 2010 option of a taxi instead. No tunnel, all good.

Some short words about NYNY:
    Staff were great at check-in and check-out.
    Rooms are a little dated but clean and quiet.
    Tom's Urban beer, food and service are excellent:
    [​IMG]

Highly recommend this hotel but just as strongly recommend getting a King View room so that you get to use the different elevators.

NYNY from across the road:
    [​IMG]

Now to the gambling:
    Well and truly down on Video Poker. See example of a tease:
    [​IMG]

More than 1,000 up on craps. I just kept buying in at 200 and walking away with about 450. These sessions added up nicely...

About square on BJ. However, the highlight was the El Cortez:
    [​IMG]

A MASSIVE thank you to everyone on this forum that recommended this place. $5 BJ that pays 3/2 and non-stop beers. Does anyone have a better way to spend an afternoon? OK, maybe there are some better ways but this is right up there. If you're in a budget, forget the Strip.

Got into a 'robust discussion' with someone who complained to a fellow player for splitting his nines. She told me that Basic Strategy tells us NEVER to split nines. After a quick education session, I also informed her that I don't agree with telling people how to play. OK, enough said here. Just wanted that off my chest.

Neon Museum: interesting but didn't take me away to heaven. If you're interested in the history of Vegas, it's worth a visit around dawn or dusk to avoid the heat:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Memo to Downtown: get free Wifi (not the ones that ask for every personal detail) so that people can Uber to/from the Strip.

Similarly, I will never take the Deuce bus again. It's honestly faster and easier to take a punctured bicycle.

Final night pic:
    [​IMG]

Managed a few great pulls on Wheel of Fortune which allowed me to depart about $1,000 up. Sorry Vegas but don't worry; I'll be back.

Arrived into Heathrow to be informed of the I.T. disaster that eventually stranded me in London for two more nights. Regardless of the fact that I actually managed to receive my bag back home, I will find it difficult to trust them again.

• Like Like x 4
  2. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report, thank you for sharing!

3. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    enjoyed the report. just enough info to keep me interested and moving along with you. Sorry you got caught in the BA glitch.

4. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great report!

5. luridludicloco

luridludicloco High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report and photos. Sorry that VP hit was just ten and not two thousand dollars:poker:.

6. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks a lot. I did enjoy playing while nursing a beer at the bar (especially the Mirage Lobby Bar) but to an extent: it tends to get boring after 45 minutes or so if there is no bar/server interaction.

7. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report!

And never split nines? That lady probably read basic strategy a long time ago and probably confused 9s for 10s.

Even I held four to a flush over three to a royal for awhile after reading JoB basic strategy! Oops.

And ouch on that black straight. Colored straights with 4 to a royal are the worst.

8. vegasnut

vegasnut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    very nice TR , loving the pictures!!too bad that jack wasnt clubs!!

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report! Thanks for the pics also. Looks like you came away with some of Vegas's money!

I like that you hit and run at craps, that's the way to stay ahead of that game. I only wish I could heed that advice, lol!!

10. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great trip....congrats on the craps wins! HATE the players that feel the need to correct others' play......my husband gets scolded for hitting his soft hands and gets annoyed trying to explain basic strategy.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.