1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental Car Codes?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by KazooTom, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will be heading out to Red Rock in June. I'm looking for any known rental car codes that might work for us. Anything recent would be appreciated.

2. MissinOH

MissinOH Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't help you with any codes but if you happen to be a Costco member the rates are great! We always go thru Costco, usually with Budget and have saved quite a bit.

3. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have used the Costco codes many time in the past and have gotten good rates. I also realize that whatever I find today will likely drop and need to be rebooked several time before we leave.

4. lulucob

lulucob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are the codes?

5. skybank

skybank High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can find discount car rental codes on the SouthWest.com site under "Car" they are at the bottom of the page on the left.
    Also you do not need to book at their site just copy the code and plug it into what ever car rental site you use.

6. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kalamazoo Tom, this was from a thread I saved from December 2014,
    Budget .com it's still there
    I used Costco BCD code A017600
    coupon code UUGZ039
    all I did was rent at Las Vegas airport
    as of now this is still on their site "standard elite suv" 0.01

7. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the code. I plugged it in and it does give a reasonable discount. Did not see anything about a discount on any suv. Those listed at "coupon eligible" were listed from economy through the full size vehicles. However it did save about $30 over the none coupon price. Thank you, gives me a good start.

8. tinytim

tinytim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. disappearingdusk

disappearingdusk Tourist

Just in case you don't know about Autoslash, you should totally check it out. I used it years ago and just started using it again for my trip to Vegas in a few weeks. Basically, you enter your pre-existing reservation on their website and the company checks for price reductions. If there's a price decrease with the same company, it automatically rebooks you. I entered my reservation yesterday and it's already been reduced twice for a total of a $30 savings.

The website is autoslash.com

It's free to use.

10. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tip about the autoslash web site. I was not aware of them and will give them a try. Can it be set up to provide notification of the lower price, or will it only rebook and cancel the existing reservation?

I have found codes from Costco (contract; 7014627 - Coupon AU2291VYT) have provided a reasonable price with Alamo to include a car class upgrade to full size for our weekly rental. It is also booked under our "insider" number. We are currently at $176 and change, all in including fees and taxes. I expect the price to go down, probably several times, before our trip.

It has always been our habit to check and recheck regularly up until the night before we leave. It sounds like autoslash might be the solution to automate that process.

11. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    count me among those who swear by Costco's rates. i am trusting that the rates will come through for me again. i arrive in 39 days, and i'm use to getting a decent car for about $25/day. right now i'm getting quoted about $50 day. i check multiple times every day, as the rate bounces quite a bit, and my best rate for the last trip in november came about two weeks before departure. i think i booked about 10 cars in the weeks leading up to that trip.

good luck to you KazooTom!

12. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you a costco member? If not do they ask for your card?

13. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I book through Costco, I'd say I've been asked for my card about 1/3 of the time.

14. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The reason I ask is my sister is a member and I am not, I just was wondering if she could book for me using her discount.

15. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cause those rates are great. I am doing a 17 day in phoenix and the taxes at airport there are absurdly high. I can do offsite for like $300 less than on airport, it is feasible but it can be done, that being said, these rates are like $75 more than off airport, well more the extra $. I just do not wanna show up and be denied the rate.

16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Be aware that Budget sometimes will ask for your Costco card when you get to the counter. The discount is supposedly for only Costco members. As others mentioned, not all clerks ask for your Costco card but they do ask on occasion. Those that ask also check the picture and name to make sure that it is your card.

Last year I was renting a car when a clerk asked a couple for their Costco card. Could tell that this couple weren't Costco members, they kept giving excuses about not having their card, left it at home, then demanding to see the manager because they weren't aware of needing their card, etc. etc. The manager couldn't do anything for them, said that they are out of luck unless they produce their Costco cards. The couple left fuming but most of us knew they weren't members so couldn't get the discounts.

Tom and wanker, I would recommend having a backup reservation someplace just in case they ask for your Costco card (if you don't have one). That way you have a reservation some place. Just remember that you physically have to show your Costco card (or an amex Costco card) if they ask for it to get the Costco discount.

Like others, I find the Costco prices to be one of the better ones. You can also check regularly because prices fluctuate so you can cancel and rebook (or modify your reservation) if the prices go down.

17. disappearingdusk

disappearingdusk Tourist

As far as I know, it will only rebook the existing reservation at the lower price. It will ONLY do this if the quote is with the same company. If the lower price is with a competitor, it will notify you that there's a lower price found elsewhere.

There's really no downside to using Autoslash. The rates I've gotten through them for this trip are $70 less than anything I've found elsewhere, even on Costco's website. I love booking via Costco but I haven't found their rates for to be at all competitive for this trip. And now that they exclude Enterprise at LAS (a very recent development), it's even worse. I've also used USAA since I am a member. I haven't found their rates to be very competitive on this trip either.

18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    your sister can go through the Costco travel site to book a car. Costco offers rates for different agencies, budget, Alamo, sometimes enterprise. When she books through the Costco site she has to provide a valid Costco member number to make a reservation but you may have to show a Costco card at the counter when you get there. No guarantees that they will allow you to use your sister's Costco card if you aren't on her card.

You can also try to go directly to the budget site to book a rental. you can enter the Costco codes that were supplied previously and make your reservation but again no guarantees that they may or may not ask for a Costco card to get the Costco rates.

19. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clown, keep checking rates daily, hopefully you might get lucky and find a price drop and best to book then. Unfortunately you will be there in 39 days, right in May so with all going on (fight, rock in rio festival) the prices may not drop at all so you have to cross your fingers that prices will drop for one day so you can get better rates.

20. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks that's good to know and great advice to book somewhere else! I suppose if my sister books and if I am asked I can try the I forgot it, then walk away from the reservation counter since they do not have my CC info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.