1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Reminder: Rules about Snark/Sarcasm and Being Polite

Discussion in 'Admin. Announcements' started by Sonya, Oct 26, 2018.

1. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't realize you have an aversion to emojis, @Chuck2009x. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
    I wish there were a little Aerosmith emoji. :headbang:

Holiday Trip! Making Merry in Sin City.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    upload_2018-10-31_10-34-37.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suppose being scolded or warned or getting a point on one's record could be called a reprisal, but how threatening it is would be debatable. Let's all remember that moderators are also using a written medium and interacting with people they don't know and can't see or hear. Mag could stifle a fifth grader with a dirty look. No words needed. I learned early in my career that my favorite wedge-sarcasm- can be hurtful even if not intended to be so, and is easily misinterpreted. So over the years, I perfected my tone of voice with older students. Moderators don't have those clubs in the bag.

One can get away with a fair amount here. To shift metaphors slightly, established players with good reputations occasionally receive the benefit of the doubt on a ball and strike count. Also, each moderator, like each umpire, has his or her strike zone. It takes a while to learn them. A good pitcher makes a study of such things.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to be more of a wise man than a wiseguy.

Sometimes I succeed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont know about that. I understand we can't have the Wild West here, but it comes off a little Stepford quite a bit.

I still enjoy most of what we have here though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe just a touch. That's not all bad. I would take Lawrence Welk over some of what is happening out in the real world these days.

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've learned to just ignore. I like the ignore button feature.

I've also learned to think very carefully before hitting the reply button. And I've discovered that I now just delete the post if by any minute chance it can be misconstrued or offensive.

Days left before being Bconned!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard this "Stepford" argument against our rules for years and it is ridiculous. I only ever hear that from people who perpetually violate the rules. Weird. :rolleyes2: We allow all kinds of content here. I even created a section to allow for content that some of our affiliates do not want their ads to appear next to. (After Dark for discussion of sex workers and recreational marijuana in NV). People here are encouraged to discuss and even disagree, as long as you can do it without being disagreeable.

We have a list of rules that everyone here agreed to when you signed up. That set of rules is available in several places, including in a sticky thread on the board here - https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/vmb-rules.131457/

Those rules boil down to:
    1. Don't spam/self-promote.
    2. Don't lie/spread disinformation.
    3. Don't be a jerk!
    4. No politics/religion.
    The Report link exists on every post and works for every person on this board. If you think a post violates a rule, report it. The moderators and I will look at it and take action if a rule violation has occurred. The rules apply to everyone, including the moderators and even me! The Report link exists on all our posts too.

VMB is now, and has always been, a moderated board. There are plenty of places on the internet you can go to discuss Las Vegas. This one is mine. The rules have been created and coalesced over almost two decades of running this board and seeing where there are issues. It's not done out of spite or some kind of hunger for power, but to keep this place the friendly, open and welcoming environment I choose to have here.

People who don't understand that will probably never understand that. That's why we have our warning system. Every warning you get comes with points that expire over time. If you accrue enough active points, your posts may require moderator approval before they appear on the board. After you have received more than 10 warnings, those points become permanent. Once you have enough permanent warnings points, the system automatically shows you the door. There are extreme cases of abuse, spam or fraud where we bypass the system and permanently ban people, but thankfully that is rare. Often, when a violation is borderline, we just delete/edit the post and no warning is issued at all.

Frankly, the biggest complaint I have about our current system is that it gives too much leeway to people to continue to abuse the same rules over time without getting banned. Lots of boards have a much stiffer system where points don't expire from the get go. I've considered switching to that system a few times, but there are a couple of good members who had a rough start and wouldn't be here if the system was more unforgiving.

I don't ask people to be automatons and only agree and hug, or be "kumbaya" all the time, as one user in this thread likes to say. In this particular thread I addressed a specific problem and asked people to not pile on people with opinions outside the norm and to avoid snarky answers to serious questions without adding to the discussion of the issue. I am unable to see how that is being heavy handed.

The bottom line is that most of the members of VMB will never get a single warning, some will get maybe one or two over the years they are here on the board. It's unfortunate that I have to issue these reminders of conduct when just it's just a few people choose to repeatedly ignore the TOS.

• Like Like x 12
    • Love Love x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aww @Chuck2009x - pretty please?? We be liking you : )

:D:confused::cool::eek:o_O:(:mad::oops::rolleyes::):p;):blink::blowkiss::cry::goofy::kiss::licklips::love::nono::nworthy::peace::rolleyes2::shy::snore::ssst::thumbsdown::thumbsup::wave::whistle::wink2::yawn::poker::clap::headbang::wiggle::woohoo::woot::beer::cheers::drunk::drooling::evillaugh::faint::feedme::grrr::blah::haha::hmmm::kill::poke::popcorn::vomit::yuck::bang::cuss::soapbox::stir::trolls::alien::angel::biker::cowboy::jester::noangel::pirate::santa::trophy::usa::lock:.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Fingers crossed - it's been almost a year
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Love Love x 3
  10. Tex

Tex High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve wondered where some of my posts have went.
    At least now I know I’m not going crazy wondering if I did post in a particular thread.
    I’m not a very politically correct type so it will be interesting to see how long I last here.

11. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was the first Vegas board I ever encountered some 5-6 years ago and have loved being a member since, from the TRs to comps and hotels forums, I've leaned a ton and met some awesome people, with hopefully more to come.

I didn't want to comment here but seeing some responses felt compelled to. I think it's a bit asinine to be complaining about this forum being too conformist or whatever. Hell, I doubt I could have done a fraction of as well as Sonya has done with this board and frankly, I doubt many could either.

We do indeed get away with a lot here and should be grateful we have such a badass, and FREE place to discuss Vegas related shit. Sorry for the rant but people who complain for the sake of complaining are just a colossal pain in the ass. Sonya has done all of us a service here.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Vegas Dec 7-10
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the pleasure of moderating on Vegas.com some 20 years ago. At that time it was LV's largest website owned by the Greenspun family. There were over 5,000 members, however, like most boards only X amount of members posted regularly.
    Some are on this board as regular contributors! :wave:
    Being a former moderator, running several web sites and being a member on various different boards you would think I'd know about not being snarky.
    Nope, I was put in my place more than once. By the boss and at times other members. All for the better of the whole.
    When you have to come down on someone or shoot a warning shot over the bow, you don't want to do it, but you have to.
    It's a thankless job. It's also difficult to moderate while being a contributing member and have to moderate those you like or get along with.
    Thanks for providing a great message board on the town we all mostly enjoy!
    Member of SA (snarky anonymous)
    Snarky.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Valgal

Valgal Formerly Vwhiten

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hit with some snark and personal attacks a while back. I don’t understand why some have to be so mean. Sometimes it seems to be a little contagious. I think Sonya does a wonderful job. I occasionally post on other forums, but this place feels like home.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awww, I'm gone on vacation for a little over 2 weeks and I miss all the things going on. I also came back to find that there were 6800 new posts. Gonna take a few days to go through them.

I may or not do a TR on my Japan trip. And by the way, I slept at Haneda airport my first night in Japan. My flight arrived at 10:30 pm, had to go through customs and most of the metro trains stopped running regularly at midnight so I just camped out at the airport for the night. Luckily they don't put armrests between seats so I was able to take 3 seats and lie down for the night.

But bottom line was that the Japan trip was waaaay less expensive than if I went to vegas (plus I saved a bunch because there was no gambling).

• Like Like x 2
  15. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just a question and you don't have to answer if you don't want to or can't...

why was that message board shut down right after 9/11?

ps. i was a member and poster there.

16. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, this place is just like Boyd. I only got one damned point, and then it expired! ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya Mike I remember you, I have photos from some of our meets.
    Not certain on why it shut down, I've speculated, but that's for another thread.

18. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still have some pics from the Monte Carlo meet in 2002. I lost a lot of them when one of my laptops crashed.
    our late Craps shooting pal Les

Attached Files: