1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Remember the "Fan Man"?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by wesraft, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesraft

wesraft Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anybody remember the powered parachutist that crashed at the Riddick Bowe vs. Evander Holyfield title fight at Caesars? Some random internet noodling brought that blast from the past back to life for me and I just HAD to share it with the whole class. I hope it brings a little sunshine into your life as it did mine.
    So, The world is watching the much-hyped heavyweight title fight from Caesar's Palace, being held outdoors on a mild early November night, when the fight comes to an unexpected halt midway through the seventh round. Enter the "Fan Man" who would have landed smack-dab in the center of the ring had his parachute not fouled in some lights set up for the match. He DID actually make it to ringside where he was immediately subdued and pummelled by security and even some shocked and obviously pissed off fans! Somehow, nobody in the crowd was seriously injured, with the notable exception of the Fan Man, who, after finally getting untangled from his impromptu cats cradle, was sent to the hospital, unconscious from the beating he took. They eventually, after quite the delay, finished the match, with Holyfield winning the title by decision. James Miller, aka "The Fan man" was quoted later, saying "It was a heavyweight fight and I was the only guy knocked out.". There is even an homage to the event in " The Simpsons" episode "The Homer They Fall" Miller had a few more similar stunts in the following years, but nothing approaching the fame/infamy he achieved from the fight and he disappeared from the public eye soon thereafter, eventually committing suicide in 2002.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Miller_(parachutist).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I loved boxing in that era. Bizarre night. I had no idea he later committed suicide.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny to remember all those crazy/bizarre things that came in the time before Twitter, Facebook, etc.
    If that was 1993, that happened eleven years before I had my own computer!

RICHARD

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So funny you mention this... my son and I just watched a 30 for 30, I think it was, about Evander Holyfield and it featured that fight. My son was so surprised it happened and I'd forgotten about it.

5. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the fact that title fights used to be held outside. Even events like the Evel Kneivel jump.
    The boxing ring was where the Absinthe tent is now, right?

6. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe the bigger (larger attendance) fights were held almost at the back of the property near the I-15. Although it sounds like some smaller cards were held very close to where you mentioned.

http://vegasnowandthen.blogspot.com/2010/05/boxing-history-in-las-vegas.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.