1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

reboot of the Montreal Expos?

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by ScottE, Jun 21, 2019.

1. ScottE

ScottE Roller!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27017716/so-rays-call-tampa-montreal-home-answering-key-questions

So do you think this will lead to the Tampa Bay Rays becoming the Expos 2.0? An interesting idea, and would get baseball back in Montreal sooner than later. Question is, how long would the fans in Montreal, Quebec or Canada be happy sharing a team? Not to mention how long until the players and coaches get tired of trying to live in two "home" cities?

The idea is not without precedent. Ironically MLB had the Montreal Expos play 22 home games in 2004 in Puerto Rico before moving the Expos to Washington DC.

It will be very interesting to see how this develops.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When teams do this, they always move. Think Dodgers playing in Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City before relocating to LA, and as you note the Expos playing in PR before settling in DC. So I do think this presages a move for the Rays, and it's up to Montreal to fully embrace this squad even though they aren't truly of Montreal yet. If Montreal steps up to the plate, they're in first place to get this club. If not, I bet Portland or someplace else is.

If I lived in Montreal, I'd see this as our tryout to get back into the big leagues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zenvegas

zenvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a Canadian (Torontonian) who supported "Canada's Team" before the arrival of the Blue Jays, I hope baseball does come back to Montreal. I saw my first baseball game and double header at Jerry Park.
    The Toronto/Montreal rivalry for all things (sports included) would be great. If they were both in the American League, that would be even better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure the players don't want to play out of two cities. Possibly the Rays are using this to get a new stadium, which they need.
    Good luck. :beer::beer:

Bourbon, BJ and Beer
  5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree. The original Expos ended up as the Nationals with a brand new stadium in D.C. A team of the quality of the Rays should be drawing much better but never will because the stadium is a depressing shit hole that is very hard to get to.

That 70's Breeze
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    For no reason other than kids being kids, I was a fan of the Expos from the time I became truly aware of baseball. Yes, the near-town Dodgers were closest to my heart, but there was something about the logo and colors that I just liked, so I became a fan.

I, too, would like to see Montreal get back in the bigs. And I'd like Portland to get the chance, too.

• Like Like x 3
  7. D in the D

D in the D Oldest ride, Longest Line

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stop me if you've heard this one.......Are they gonna be called the Ex-Rays ? <rimshot>

Mom's 76th Birthday Trip
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd definitely would want baseball back in Montreal, even if it was for half a season. I was a big Expos fan before they moved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was shocked when I read the story yesterday but after digesting it. I find it horrible. Apparently gate sales are miserable in TB especially with a team that's 3.5 games out of first place what they were when i looked yesterday. If its that bad just move them to montreal completely If TB cant support a team move them somewhere that can.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get the MLB out of the State of Florida! Miami's last in attendance and Tampa Bay is second to last! You'd think with all the old folks down there, baseball with their 4 hour games would work well, but it just doesn't and the Rays are a talented team. I'm over the whole state... Bugs Bunny had it right:

C3-zxJXW8AEp8CO.jpg

Also... wonder what it'd be like for the players living in two-(2) cities in two-(2) countries with different money and tax structures? I'm sure for those living their dream playing major league ball, it's nothing they couldn't accommodate... just seems weird.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. charlestfuller

charlestfuller Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is more attendance driven than stadium driven. I have relatives with season tickets and they've never complained about the quality of seats, prices, travel, etc(at least compared to the norm of things in Florida)

12. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lifelong Chicagoan. White Sox my favorite team. Montreal was, is, and always will be my favorite National League team.

Stade Parc Jarry

Le Grande Orange

I am not Canadian!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Love Love x 1
  13. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great videos @Viva Las Vegas. I didn't realize their first home game was against the Cards, and they won!

14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For one thing it would kill their chances at luring decent free agents.

That 70's Breeze
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never had a chance to go the Jerry Park, but loved my trips to Olympic Stadium, and the great Expos teams of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. I also was fortunate to catch the Expos at Comiskey Park II when they played the Marlins (game moved to Chicago due to Florida hurricanes), and of course Expos visits to Wrigley Field, home of the cubbies. :thumbsdown:

It was nice to see Tim Raines finally make the hall, and of course Gary Carter, Andre Dawson and Vladimir Guerrero.

Bud Selig and Jerry Reinsdorf should be banned for life for their roles regarding the numerous collusion eras, the steroid era, and most their most egregious act, the cancellation of the 1994 season which led to the demise of the Montreal Expos.

• Like Like x 1
  16. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I've got unlimited access to a pickup truck and several pairs of work gloves, so I can help move the Rays to Canada. Just need a decision pretty soon, as my calendar is filling up. So, if Stu can speed up the decision making process, I'd really appreciate it.

It ain't about air conditioned domed stadium with plastic seats. It ain't about Joe Donut stopping by and buying four tickets. It's about the REAL revenue...suites, corporate sponsorship, season tickets, etc. And the state-of-the-art retractable roof stadium that everybody and their brother JUST HAS TO HAVE to "be competitive". And all these transplanted cotton-tops down here? Yeah, they'll go to the Trop...when THEIR team (NY, Boston, Cleveland, etc.) is in town for a series. We argue back and forth that the stadium should be in H'borough County (Tampa), but the public funded sports venue bridge was officially torched when the Glazers got Raymond James to replace El Gran Sombrero. Face it, the money - and that's what it really comes down to - ain't here. We often use the word 'attendance' as a euphemism for 'revenue stream'. And remember kids, you're stuck in this crummy apartment until 2027. And that footprint you currently have...St. Pete is chompin' at the bits to develop that into a revenue stream for the city.

The truck's just sitting there. Full tank o'gas. Just say when.

• Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What if we told you that tax payer dollars would be used to build them a shiny new stadium?

I think they should have a team in PR all the time. Would be some good will and the caribbean provides so many players already it would only be fair.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regarding taxes, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, at least as far as the work involved. Athletes already have to file state returns in every state they play in both home and away. That said Florida has no income tax so half their games would likely be taxed more than what they currently are

19. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Florida to Quebec that probably is a pretty big tax difference. I bet players wouldn't like the entire setup, but shit, i do it for the money they make!

I still love that Bugs Bunny gif too with regard to MLB in Florida...lol

20. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recall reading that the city of Montreal regretted building the expodome or whatever it's called because it was a huge money loser, and they were stuck with huge debts even after hosting the Olympics and a baseball team for 36 years. It's hard to see the citizens voting to pay for a new one, especially based on revenue from half a season per year. I wouldn't if I lived there. Same with Tampa as well.