1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Real ID information

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by makikiboy, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is true. When my wallet was picked in Dallas earlier this year along with my DL, I was still able to board but it took about another 30 minutes compared to my wife.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As said... sort of fake news. Okay, real news. But - this has been kicking around for years. It continues to be extended. Every few months, the news folks blast this out again. And I will bet you better than 3:2 odds it will not keep people from flying.

And, as someone just mentioned, you do NOT need an ID to fly. Without one it might be a challenge, but it is not required.

• Like Like x 1
  3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mn is one of only a few states that haven't complied yet, and while we plan on doing it, they aren't actually issuing the new licenses yet, and when they do it'll take awhile, it'll be extended again, The bottom line is they are not going to even try to enforce it cause it would cause chaos(and almost everyone would still fly anyway)

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got the Real ID here in Nevada a couple years ago when it was first available. I had to bring my birth-certificate, social-security card and a couple other bills or items with my name on it.

Why f-around and wait till the last minute when the lines will be rediculous? It really wasn't a big-deal at all and didn't infringe on my freedoms! Plus it's good for 8 years.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt early boarding would sell as often if so.

6. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Real ID has been a “sky is falling” subject for years. As every deadline has approached more extensions have been granted. Most people probably couldn’t tell you what real ID is, whether their license complies or what they’d have to if real ID was really fully implemented. I’m one of those who doubt that the TSA will ever exclude an entire state’s population because their licenses don’t comply and force everyone to go through alternative identification procedures or bring a passport. Can you imagine the chaos at airports? As an individual United States citizen you can board a domestic flight with no picture ID, but you won’t like the process. Now imagine thousands of passengers showing up with non compliant IDs. Yikes.

I actually looked a while ago to see if Texas complied and I think we did not. I promptly stopped worrying about it, figuring that if it ever really happened there’d be enough of a hue and cry to remind me to bring my passport. But, I’ll bet it never happens.

7. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If indeed one would need a passport then I promise our wonderful Gov of CA would make sure only certain people would get them really easy.

8. brownies95

brownies95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I always use our passports when flying!

9. hawki39

hawki39 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pennsylvania is one of the non compliant states.... Personally, for as much as I fly, I Will Not pay for a passport to travel in the USA. Also, if I do not have the proper Approved ID, I cannot enter Federal Buildings...I wonder how well that will work when I am chosen for Federal Jury Duty? (I have been chosen for the month of December) That should be interesting.

10. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty sure it was 6 states and at least 2 now have gotten extensions. We got an extension here in Kentucky until October '18.

NYNY,Cannery,Sam's Town Jun4-11
  11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In mn, the state legislature actually passed a law that prohibited the DMV from issuing them, and also banned anyone in govt from even planning for it. they finally removed that law a year or so back, that's why it's so delayed.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, you can carry those.
    They cause confusion to many people checking IDs.
    They are larger.
    Almost everyone that carries a passport also carries their ID.

So, what is the positive side to carrying the passport? (assume you are not leaving the country)

13. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So what are the objections of the states that are non-compliant?

14. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Kentucky its the cost. Have to have a secure location to issue the id's since birth certificate and SS card has to be scanned in for the new card and we have 120 counties.

NYNY,Cannery,Sam's Town Jun4-11
  15. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always use my passport already. Mainly because the picture on my ID was taken in 2012 and doesn't even really look like me anymore.

17. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't show your address....

18. Hbatc

Hbatc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We started using our passports instead of ID right after 9/11 and we found it makes things easier. TSA people seem to respect the passports more than just an ID and things go smoother. I've never had anyone be "confused" when checking my passport, them seem to prefer them IMO.

We often fly with our kids who are too young for DLs but they do have passports so it is a great, easy form of ID for them.

When going through an airport, we keep our DLs put away with our credit cards and cash and other things we don't want to be handling in crowds of people. Just keep our passports out with our boarding passes (or phones) and then tuck them in the carry on.

They are larger, easier to hand back and for to the TSA agent and harder to drop or misplace. If you did happen to lose it, you still have your regular ID on you.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use my Concealed Weapons Permit as an ID, the look on the face of the TSA is priceless. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.