1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Real ID - 4 states not compliant but not sure what that means

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by makikiboy, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work for local government so I get these Homeland bulletins regularly. This one is a list of states that aren't compliant with Real ID. 4 of them - Maine, Minnesota, Missouri and Montana aren't in compliance already but I am not sure if that means that the airports won't accept licenses and ID's from these states yet. It also says that come July 10, 2017 8 more states won't be in compliance unless they receive an extension.

https://www.dhs.gov/federal-enforcement

Here is an overall list of all the states and their status if they are real id compliant:

https://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories

The FAQ's say that on January 22, 2018 (supposedly) airports will not accept driver licenses from states that aren't in compliance or haven't received an extension so I guess if you belong to a non compliant state you should get a passport so you can travel domestically.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

It will be interesting if this will really start on January 22, 2018. I can't see airports not accepting ID's from non compliant states so we will see as it gets closer to January.

Luckily we made Hawaii compliant a couple of years ago so I don't have to worry about using my license to get on the planes.

This is just FYI, especially if you belong to the non compliant states or the states soon to be non compliant.

Sorry, this should be in the non vegas chat forum, guess I put it in the wrong forum.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think those states have been getting extensions for several years. There was some talk here on the board before about it.
    Beware realID Laws
    Real ID information

3. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Montana has an extension till July 2018. We will be able to start getting the real ID in September of this year. If you want the real ID it's going to cost $50 on top of the $45 for a state drivers licenses. I will just keep using my passport card.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a passport good til 2020...hopefully I'm out of Missouri by then...

5. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NC has the real Id verified licenses now - no additional fee over the regular license but you have to go in person (obv) to show the additional references instead of renewing online. I can use my passport as needed but will definitely get the real id at my next renewal. Or earlier :)

7. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many states have been given continuous extensions but it all depends if Homeland will extent another time. A lot of it depends on whether the state is making an attempt at being Real ID compliant. Minnesota was denied any extension because they didn't make any attempt to be Real ID compliant but that changed last month when the legislature finally passed resolutions to be compliant so I assume Homeland will give them an extension this time, but I don't think it will be a long extension, possibly into 2018 or 2020 at the latest.

But I think the Homeland site will tell us whether the states will get extensions and for how long. So far Montana is not listed as having an extension, at least to Homeland. This notice was sent a few days ago so is probably pretty much up to date as far as Homeland is concerned. But I think this was more of a "strongarm" warning to non compliant states that they better get their butts in gear or else Homeland won't accept your license for travel.

The primary problem for most states was that it cost a lot to convert their systems to become Real ID compliant. It also sucks because Homeland expects each state to pick up the bill for this so many states did not want to fund it but now that it's crunch time the states will either be compliant or their licenses won't be accepted.

I have as much confidence in this Real ID system as I have with TSA protecting us and preventing the bad guys from doing us harm.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This pops up here and on the mainstream media every few months. Has been threatening deadlines for years. Not saying anyone needs to search here, but if they did, multiple threads with doomsday warnings pop up.

I will bet your vegas bankroll these people will NOT run into a problem. Or be forced to get a passport.

And, on a side note, you do realize you are not REQUIRED to have an ID to fly. It might be a pain, but you can fly without an approved ID.

10. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.