1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Quirky, Boring or just flat Weird things you enjoy?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Multifarious5, Jun 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couponing in Vegas!
    I don't do too much couponing at the grocery store but trading coupons --LVA/ACG is awesome. it gives a little bit of structure to my trip if that makes any sense.
    Some of those coupons are lucrative.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Love Love x 1
  3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know some of you know this about me, but I still regularly shoot with film cameras. I do use digital, but I have a soft spot for film and still regularly use it. Many of the photos I've posted here, as well as many in the gallery link below, were done with film. A good sweet spot is the combination of 1960s-1970s glass (lenses, made when film was far less sensitive) and 21st. century film.

• Like Like x 7
  4. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love open fish markets. I love checking out all of the fish and sea creatures on ice. I love checking out seeing them being cleaned and fileted for consumption. I just can't pass up an open fish market without walking (and gawking) through.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few of the more unusual things that have taken up my time are trivia/game shows (was active in knowledge bowl/academic league in high school, almost got onto Who Wants to Be a Millionaire while still in HS), pinball (Pinball Hall of Fame is the promised land :nworthy:), playing ticket-dispensing arcade games for fun and profit (once got enough to trade in for a bartop Ms. Pac-Man machine which I sold for $1100+, and spending a little over $400 to get it :)), and shopping for sustenance and profit (clearance hunting, semi-extreme couponing, and maximizing mail-in rebates :thumbsup:). I am also a overgrown teenager re sleeping habits... I swear to g-d I have a 28 hour body clock :haha:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also love to do this. Fish markets are on the top of my list but I also like to browse through farmers markets and open markets in China town or Korea town.

• Like Like x 2
  7. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love grocery shopping, too! "Deal shopping" in particular. I enjoy looking through grocery store sales ads way too much. It's like a fun game, planning out which deals I'm gonna get at each store. It's a habit that started out of necessity at one point in my life, but now it's just plain fun!

• Like Like x 2
  8. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spending too much time on Vegas-related message boards!

I actually also love grocery shopping. I used to go to Fairway back in NYC pretty frequently. I like being at a store where I know the aisles and can make my way through systematically. I also eat random Asian foods for breakfast, which I picked up in Beijing. I regularly eat pork bao or dumplings at 7am. Congee is fantastic as well, though I can't make it myself. If going for actual "breakfast" foods, I make burritos pretty often, though will sometimes have a salad.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watching baseball games on TV after working all day, I find it peaceful with a glass of wine and the window open with a fan on me. It’s been difficult having no baseball.

Of course my wife always asks me to turn the channel so I never get a whole game in unless I’m in the other room lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I realized years ago THIS was my problem too 3ofDiamonds.... I also run on more that 24 hours a day. If I let my sleep clock go naturally, even if I sleep in, I l then just stay up later. As a teenager I experimented with this. I found I could run the whole clock on wakeup/bed time. I too run off a 28 ( or more) hour clock, and I wish I didn't, I'd love to be a gracious riser! :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like using, and working on electronic stuff that uses tubes, instead of solid state components. I like modern stuff too, but tubes are really cool, and they work great. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
  12. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grocery stores. Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati is a vacation for me, and a 8 hour drive.

Looking at old state highway maps.

Looking at google maps satellite looking for the remains of old highways that were rerouted

No reason to go home yet.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cleaning and maintaining pools has always been my Zen.

I also enjoy having a good wrestling match. I wish our area had a club for adults. I would hit the mats everyday if we did.

14. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t know where it came from. But I have an odd love for numbers that are multiples of 3. So, any time I have to choose a passcode or set an alarm, it always has to be a number divisible by 3.
    A2CBE47A-BDD4-45A0-89BB-E6F634DF9A6E.jpeg 3950FB2D-81D5-456F-B029-4C5BA5948FE9.jpeg 8A12A8C8-4C31-4958-9FD2-ABE2B8A15E32.jpeg 62431906-D521-442A-89D6-1A56CCE76445.jpeg
    Kinda sad. Even my quirks are boring as hell. :(

• Like x 4
    • Wow! x 3
    • Love x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fascinating thread.

Pets ~ Dogs, Cats, whatever. I must limit myself to one or two because I become strangely devoted. I often teach normal and bizarre tricks/activities. I once found a newborn coonhound in a dump, umbilical cord still attached. I taught her to play with frisbees and we would compete in Ashley Whippet tournaments. I called it "Slobber Frisbee" and never saw another hound compete. She would sit, beg, jump over my back, catch 6 flipped frisbees while begging, go in and out of my legs, over my back.run & jump and take it out of my teeth, and more. She wasn't great, but damned good.

I wonder if pet love/training it is hereditary to some degree. I have learned that an unknown grandfather was the same way.

After a beloved dog, I taught my old eleven year-old cat standard dog tricks of Come, Sit, Beg, Wave, and High Five. I thought she was just a fat, dumb old cat. She picked most of the tricks up in about 30 minutes. One of us was fat and dumb, and it wasn't her.

Below are photos of Longshot, the frisbee hound. Baby Longshot.jpeg Longshot on BBQ.jpeg Longshot frisbee.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Love Love x 7
    • Like Like x 6
  16. soxfan4life

soxfan4life Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been a Beatlemaniac since they came to America when I was a wee lad. This love of the Beatles triggered a love of all things British for me. I love British accents and slang, particularly the northern Liverpool and Newcastle ones. One of me many eccentricities and quirks is I will frequently in conversation speak in a northern English accent and use British slang. I'm a lifelong Chicagoan but often pretend to be British for fun. I will say me car or me computer, instead of my car or my computer. Of course I drop the t sound in computer. When my niece and her boyfriend came to visit us I said me instead of my so often he accidentally slipped up and did it once. He laughed and said " Now you got me doin it"! I use British slang a lot. I will say the Missus ( wife ) , bairn ( Newcastle Geordie word for kid ) , can't be arsed ( can't make an effort) or gets under me tits, ( annoys ) . I do it so much it gets under me missus and bairn's tits so often, mind, but I cahn't be arsed to stop it like , mate . Also like using a Boston accent at McDonald's drive thru. I will say lahge coke. Invariably I am asked to repeat it as they don't understand Bostonian. There is no hope for me really.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Up The Bollocks!

• Like Like x 1
  18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    During this lockdown I've been getting more and more into really geeky things and techie things. I've been having fun with the Raspberry Pi (google it if you don't know what it is) and getting really in to 3d printing. I know this stuff is weird for someone my age who is approaching retirement.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love watching one lady's YouTube channel for cleaning videos among other things, but it's the cleaning videos especially. And I love cleaning products. Always have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Dad was an electronic tech in the Navy WW11 and afterwards..weekends spent fixing local bars TV's and that meant free cherry cokes and chips for me..
    My job was to sort transistors and test tubes at the 7-11..
    We probably had the first color tv in the town and 'Bonanza' was so cool to see.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.