1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Questions for the Brits!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jimbo338, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is something that I have wondered for a long time but I never seem to think of it when I am online. I guess you have really "made it" when everyone knows who you are by your first name. No one ever asked Elvis who? or Which Madonna, or Cher. They all do, of course have last names, which we see sometimes reading celebrity articles and then quickly forget.

Now my question #1. If I were to send a Christmas card to Prince Charles, does he have a last name? I'm sure with an address someone in the British Postal Service would probably know who I meant and direct it, but does he have a last name? I know they are Windsors. Is he Charles Windsor? How does that work?

Secondly, I am curious. I thought I heard someone refer to Kate as the future queen ( I might be wrong). If it is true, why didn't prince Phillip become King Phillip. When I was little I always thought the king's wife was the queen and vice versa. Then got older and like everything else I realize how much more I knew when I was 18, lol! Maybe someone can explain where kings and queens come from! I would be forever grateful.

Jimbo338

2. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there has been a bunch of ruthless war lords that aquired power over the years by going around and killing off their rivals or getting them to join as allies. when they finally worked out that they wouldn;t live forever (and it took a while with some of them) they married off their kids to strong rival families to try to join the fortunes of the families and gain more influence.
    then they realised that this would work across europe and they started marrying off into familes all over the place.
    In the meantime because they were brutal dictators with the manpower to do what they wanted they managed to tax just about everyone. In england the church had banned usuary so they allowed jewish people to lend money and then taxed them - when they taxed them too much the jews argued back and got kicked out or killed.
    Eventually they controlled so much land and power that there was nobody left to fight with them so they came up with a diabolical scheme to let the next set of people down collect taxes and persuaded the commoners that the royalty were the best thing that happened to the country which the fools swallowed!! and paid more taxes.
    things nearly went pear shaped when the 3 cousins in charge of England, Germany and Russia had a falling out and a little fight. They ended up with this piffling little family dispute being called a great war and killing millions of people but hey - it was just a royal misunderstanding right? Nothing major.

Kings and queens also realized that the family could stay in power forever if they used thier swords and tapped common people on the shoulder (instead of cutting their heads off) and gave them a funny name. Not only did those people with the new funny name like it - they were happy to screw over the other common people for royalty instead of the royals doing it.

Now they are "good for the country" and get paid millions every year to prance around in gold and diamonds and generously give some of the money back to the treasury (pretending its tax and not just some of the money they were given). oh and they do let the staff have christmas day afternoon off (after dinner has been cooked) and they actually serve the food themselves.

they are great.

Who gets called what - no idea. seems that most of the population - even with education and everything - are still prepared to accept that the power hungry money grabbing sponger are really important and that common people should bow down in front of them.

hope that helps.

Yours,
    Mike.

Not a royalist.
    left that feudal system behind and have found that a lot of expats like me are even more obsessed with the royals than the people I left behind.

I despair.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's Tudor

Not 100% sure but I'm from Jersey,what the hell do I know about England.

4. WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the long name is 'Charles Prince of Wales'. His full name is 'Charles Philip Arthur George', none of which are a 'last name'. It'd be interesting what's on the passport; I'd guess the Prince of Wales business.

Prince Phillip is the 'Queen's consort', which I always find funny. But I think when the soveriegn dies, it goes down a generation, at least in England. So they really don't have a King and Queen at the same time. Charles is the next King, (Camilla will be the 'consort'), and after that I'm pretty sure William as Charles's first-born will be the King. I don't think Kate really will ever get the queen moniker.

5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

So...then....Lady Gaga is royalty ?

6. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    King trumps Queen, so Prince (consort) Philip can't be a King.
    Prince Charles is the main heir. He can be King, but because Camilla isn't his first wife and mother of the next in line, she "probably" won't be allowed to be a Queen.

William is second in line. He can, and most probably will be a King at some point. Catherine will be a Queen if William is King, not sure what would happen if he died before accession but she still lived.

The family name is Windsor.

7. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know what would happen - she would still be spoilt rich and pampered at the taxpayers expense!

hurrah!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.