1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question for scotch drinkers and folks from Scotland

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I matured I was able to go from cheaper blended to Glenlivet. The price of $40 is at my limit and I'll grab a bottle to treat myself. I know vp bars in AC where I get it compted also.
    Theres a specialty market called Trader Joes where we pick up Charles Shaw wines by the case for table wines and going to byob local Italian places.
    Last time there I noticed they had their own branded single malt 12 yr. old for $29. Today we made a run for wine and I noticed they had 8 yr. for $20,10 yr. for $23 single malts also . All produced aged and bottled by Murray in Aberdeen . i grabbed a 10. I had the 12 first time and it was fine.
    Any thoughts from anybody?

2. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My TJ's doesn't carry booze...have seen this at others, always curious if any good.

Remember, blended doesn't mean cheap, tho I am sure thats not how you intended that, I love a good blend...

JW Black, Famous Grouse Black, Monkey Shoulder, and even higher priced Compass Box stuff...

Not likely to find a decent single under $50 these days. Glenmorragie, Macallan 12 hover around here and are both well worth it.

3. Seven

Seven Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't drank a blended Scotch yet that I like. But every blend I've had had been on the lower end. Now single malt 12 year Glenlivet I can drink like water. I don't drink enough of it to pay attention to the price so when I happen to stop by the liquor store I will pick a bottle up. Anytime I'm trying something new I try to keep it under $60

4. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a blend I like Dewars 12. It is very smooth, usually about $30 for a fifth. As for good deals on a Single Malt, try Costco. In the past they had their own brand on top Macallen 12 at a good price, can't tell you exactly as it varies. Their current lineup features Glenlivet 40. Never tried but it looks good as well. http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-Glenlivet-Distillery-40-Year-Old-Single-Malt-Scotch-Whisky---Warehouse-Item-%23746526.product.100040907.html You could call and ask about price.

5. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've dealt with liquor for over 35 years. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been asked what THE best scotch, gin or wine etc. is. The simple answer is none! The best of any is the one you enjoy and can afford. A $100 bottle isn't better than the $40 bottle if you don't prefer it. As to TJs, I've had there 12 yr and it was ok. Understand I actually prefer blends for a steady diet. I've drank Red Label for many years. I enjoy it, so shoot me! TJs usually has Monkey Shoulder blended malt scotch for about $38-40 here in Wa. It's a blended malt with product coming from three distillaries instead of one like a single malt. I like it and think it's a good value. For a single malt, I like Glenfiddich 12. About $45 up here. Both are made in distillaries owned by Grant and Sons. Try a number of different ones and see what you like.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

6. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing wrong with Glenlivet at all. If you've only had lower end blends, you might try something higher on the food chain. Blended scotch has two components, grain scotch and malt scotch. Lower end blends have a much higher quantity of grain scotch, since it costs less to make. Medium to higher priced blends will contain more malt scotch, which is really where the flavor associated with scotch comes from. Like single malts it's a good idea to try different labels to see what you like. I'm sure you can find a bar in your area that stocks a fair amount of different scotches. This is an inexpensive way to try different labels without buying an entire bottle.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys,scotches and cigars these days,so many to choose from,The Glen is really at the top of what I want to spend ,had at least four at the vp bar in AC last night.When I drink JW Black I usually ask for a slice of lemon for some crazy reason it tastes better to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.