1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Problems with Boeing 737's

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by makikiboy, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

This opinion would bear more weight coming from an airline pilot.

2. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cabin configuration is up to the purchasing airline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm more concerned about in between the takeoff and landing.:thumbsup:

The Nugget!
  4. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is not an opinion, it is fact. Well my husband has over 32 years (so far) as a commercial pilot and all our friends are too so.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ask the Captain: Are most airline pilots from the military? - USA Today

Question: Are most airline pilots former United States Air Force members? Answer: No, most of the airline pilots today come from a civilian background. The time (in years) that the military demands from pilots is over 10 years after graduation from flight school. It used to be 6 years.

The Nugget!
  6. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    32 years driving one of those jets is an admirable record. Don't get shot at but have to have SA and a cool head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the record I think they made too much fuss over that female pilot on the SW jet. Yes, she is a former F-18 pilot but she followed a standard emergency procedure for decompression and single engine at altitude. I would hope any airline pilot would do the same

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same fuss if it wasn't a female?

The Nugget!
  9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sully was not female and he got quite a bit of attention.

• Love Love x 1
  11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Former USAF pilot in F-4's too.

12. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me, it is more that every article with a male pilot says "the pilot, John Doe, did xxx" but when it is a woman, it will say "the FEMALE pilot, Jane Doe, did xxx". It's unnecessary to say if it was male or female. They are equally qualified and capable, therefore the distinction is not needed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess we are straying off topic, but I was on a Delta from Atlanta to Baltimore that had an all female crew and we hit severe turbulence. I didn't care who was on the stick, I was just grateful to get on the ground.

14. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of all professional pilots, only around 5% are female. While the distinction is not needed, it is appropriate to mention, given the relative rarity of female pilots.

15. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience is that women are excellent pilots. A female pilot in a 737 would likely make for a very safe flight, and the safest way to travel.

Was there a hue and cry here about male pilots in A320s after Sully put his plane down in the Hudson? Of course, that incident was birds, but the Airbus is in fact a statistically less safe aircraft. I’m just wondering if all this angst is “we’ll become overwrought by the last thing that happened.”

You are free to move about the country in any aircraft you choose. Or, you can drive. If you do that I’m pretty sure having a female driver would be your safest choice. But, he said smiling, you’d be way less safe driving than being in a 737.............

17. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about the political correctness of how much of the reporting stated that the pilot was female, but I actually do like that they said it a lot.

There are career paths open to women that many young ladies don't necessarily know about or consider. STEM careers (the pilot's degrees are in biology and agribusiness) have a much lower population of woman than the actual percentage of woman in the workforce. If mentioning her gender helps one person to find a career path they hadn't previously considered, it is a good thing.

Saying that she simply followed standard procedures is an attempt to downplay the amount of pressure on anyone actually doing that in an emergency. The guy who scores a touchdown in a football game probably just followed standard procedures, too.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually that isn't an attempt to downplay pressure but a statement of fact meant to enlighten. All pilots of multi engine aircraft learn how to perform this procedure and practice it in simulators just so there will be no pressure-hence mistakes. The pressure comes when there are no engines running.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get that there is lots of training provided (necessarily) to pilots, but that does not the negate the fact that you only feel the pressure of real-life situations when they actually happen. Yes, the training helps a whole lot but my experience with training, simulation, and reality is that it is a whole lot different being under simulated fire than when someone is actually firing at you. Maybe pilots are totally different, but most of them I have known put their pants on one leg at time just like almost everyone else.

Perhaps I took that comment the wrong way but my point is simple--pilots are trained to do a lot of things but it is still a damn good thing when they actually carry out the plan under duress.

20. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Took SW back to MSP yesterday and we landed in the middle of a thunderstorm with 40-50 mph winds, that was exciting, the passengers applauded when we touched down. Thank god for good pilots.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.