1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Prepare for major flight changes/cancellations starting in Oct.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by zoobrew, May 5, 2020.

1. zoobrew

zoobrew High-Roller

"United Airlines plans to cut at least 3,400 management and administrative positions in October as the coronavirus pandemic crushes air travel demand, and has told pilots to brace for changes as well, according to two memos seen by Reuters.
    In a separate memo seen by Reuters, pilots were told to prepare for a “displacement” that will affect roughly 30% of roughly 12,250 pilots.
    One pilot union official said the group was interpreting the message to mean a 30% reduction as soon as Oct. 1."

October is the magically months because:
    "Chicago-based United is among the U.S. airlines that have accepted U.S. government payroll aid that bans job or pay cuts before Sept. 30."

This aid also required airlines to keep service to all their cities less they got a waiver from the DOT which are very hard to get. I also think that this provision also ends on Sept.30.

I expect that United will not be the only company that makes changes after Sept. 30.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/united-airlines-to-cut-30percent-of-management-in-october-and-braces-pilots-for-changes-as-well.html

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. I wonder if that will affect international travel. I have a trip to Europe scheduled for October.

Trip to Asia. Jeju Island, Osaka, Fukuoka, Manila, Angeles City.
    First HGS event . .
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That Oct 1 is just one more datapoint in the big airline picture.

They are all bleeding money faster than a drunk in Vegas. (of so I have heard - LOL).

Trying to guess airline traffic for June or July or August or anytime in the future is very difficult. Makes guessing the next ball on a roulette table look very easy. Again... LOL!

Intl travel - even more complicated.

As to opinions - there are thousands, millions even that think this is about to go away in a few days. And millions more that think it will get worse.

But - back to the original post. If nothing else gets passed by the Feds, or no change in rules - Oct 1 will be scary.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our resident TA has warned us against booking nonstops to/from smaller markets, particularly on Untied, as word is out that's where they will be cutting back first/most.

As an aside, I consider the job of "Corporate Travel Counselor" to be one of the most endangered positions under current conditions. :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  6. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 Poker and Hot Dogs

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always heard the best way to become a millionaire is to 1. Be a billionaire, and then 2. Buy an airline

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. john1516inny

john1516inny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rumor has it, that as of Oct. 1 Jetblue will be cutting flights from east coast to west coast drastically. Anyone see this?

8. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Virgin Atlantic are pulling out of Gatwick and cutting 3,000 jobs.

Transatlantic Nomad! First leg of HGS
    Final leg of HGS... Back to the B!
  9. Mudhen

Mudhen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can not imagine any carriers know what they will be doing in October - other than a total shutdown.

JetBlue did get permission to cut service to 16 cities - up until October - which is the opposite of that rumor

News Article Here Where did that rumor come from?

11. vegas superfan

vegas superfan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. I priced for October and there are only 3 nonstops between NYC and Vegas. 6:00 am, 6:00 pm and 7:30 pm.

12. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's not new. It's been like that for a while, I mentioned it in another post when I made my reservations for my March Vegas trip last year they only had those three non-stop flights from JFK.