1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Prefer grocery shopping online or in store?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by bignig135, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We embraced online shopping when it was first available, but are fed up of receiving bread, fruit or veg. which runs out very shortly. You see the packers wandering around in a daydream in store, not at all interested in providing the freshest produce so it's little wonder really!

Then the substitutes they provide can be totally inappropriate and the " convenience" of home delivery means you are constantly clock- watching and in the meantime if your plans change last minute, you need up wishing you hadn't bothered!

Only real benefit for us is we both consume a lot of Diet Coke or Diet Irn Bru in 2 l. bottles so having them delivered saves carrying a lot of weight home.

Does anyone know of any Vegas shops which would deliver a large load of 2l. bottles to our hotel, for a generous tip of course? As we are there for a fortnight we have resorted to using our wheelie suitcases for a bulk purchase from CVS or Walgreens at the start of the trip!

2. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, Old English......"fortnight."

I'm not certain, but maybe Safeway/Von's would do delivery? Not too sure of Walgreen's or CVS delivery services.

3. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is not Old English. That is English.

Food shopping is one of life's little pleasures for me. I want to select everything. Even packaged soft drinks have expiration dates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I would Uber/Lyft or taxi to a supermarket. At the supermarket, load all your stuff into a carriage and then before you pay, go to the produce (fruit & veg) section and ask them for some empty boxes to pack everything into after you've paid.

Back to the hotel and have the bell service bring everything up to the room.

Vons has a delivery service that works well, but it's somewhat cumbersome to sign up correctly, probably moreso since you're not a US resident.

I wouldn't rely on an order picker for fresh produce, meat, or bakery. And probably dairy too, I'd want to be able to see the expiration dates.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    We shop close to daily. Sure, we tag the bulk bases with Costco, but we shop, as the old adage goes, from the periphery of the grocery store, and a lot of our dinner decisions are made while surveying what is available and fresh. (We do have an AWESOME specialty grocer/butcher in town, a day-fresh fishmonger and, of course, the vegetable garden that is all around us in the valley.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer shopping in a store and making my own choices for meat and produce, plus I invariably pick up several things that are not on my list.

I still have several 2 liter bottles of soda from the Christmas Holidays, about the only carbonated, sweetened beverages we drink are tonic water and bitter lemon. My Physician prescribed quinine to stave off malaria, and so far it has worked for me. I take mine with Gin and wedge of lime; one must avoid scurvy. I forgot to mention Ginger Beer, ginger has good anti-inflammatory qualities. I mix mine with dark rum, and of course a piece of lime.

Not a fan of diet soda, many recent studies point to health risks.

8. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, and a common way of expressing velocity is furlongs per fortnight. :)

But anyway, I sure get the impression that when an employee selects what you get, as opposed to you, it will not be the freshest (particularly with produce) but what in-person shoppers will not pick and what's more likely to age out sooner.

I prefer to shop in person, particularly for stuff I'm gonna eat.

10. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A fortnight is a unit of time equal to 14 days (2 weeks). The word derives from the Old English: fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights".

I'm not from England or the UK...........and I surely don't speak this way.

11. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess is that Bard was suggesting that since the Brits still use the word, it is of the current language. I don't know that he was giving a lesson in etymology.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In store and farmer's market when possible. We have NEVER ordered food on-line. Our local Farmer's market just started last Saturday and will run through Oct. Plus, one of the bars on Main Street that the market is on, opens at 9 AM with a do it yourself Bloody Mary bar.

Win/win. Fresh produce and a BM.

13. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am, and I use this regularly. The OP is from the UK. Probably uses it as often as I do. Which is all the time.

I'm having a fortnight's holiday in Spain starting Wednesday.

14. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we had four kids living at home, we used PeaPod all of the time for everything except produce and breads. They have specials and accept all coupons, so you can "shop" around what is on sale. We did this for three or four years, and even though there is a delivery charge ($7 IIRC) and some of the prices were higher... well... the extra $10 or $15 we would spend a week pales in comparison to the time spent at the grocery store to get all of the food.

No thanks.

Obviously now with all of the kids gone, we no longer use PeaPod and spend time at the farmer's market and the Milwaukee Public Market where they bring in specialty fish and shellfish.

Super Bowl / Poker Trip Combo Platter
    Bowling the USBC National tournament, I hope.
  15. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Peapod or Safeway here at home. I don't drive, I hate the grocery store, and I plan all my meals - so buying only what I need according to my plan works well for me.

16. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In-person. A) I like to pick my own produce/meat and also grab for the best expiration date.

B) For some reason, I always love grocery shopping. Very luckily, I've never had to live hungry, but I still marvel at having anything an appetite can desire right at your fingertips.

I know it's a dumb appreciate/enjoyment, as we've had supermarkets forever, but I still love the experience!

BUT for someone busy/who doesn't like to shop, I think it's a stellar option!

P.s. one quick caveat, I HAVE noticed, at least in our area, delivery items aren't always price the same as the same item in the regular ad. It makes sense to charge a little more for delivery items, as $5 delivery is nothing, but you might cross reference purchases if this matters to you.

17. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like Ken, I enjoy grocery shopping several days each week and discovering what looks good each day. It's the only kind of shopping I do like. In my former life as an English teacher, shopping like that was not possible during the school year. It seemed that I could get to the grocery only once or twice in a fortnight.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As much as I LOVE shopping online (Amazon, Naturalizer, etc.), I cannot imagine shopping or ordering grocery online. I need to see, feel, smell what I am buying to ensure freshness. I am in the grocery store 2-3 times a week. Also, I don't do substitutes or generics. I penny-pinched enough when I was young, I'm grateful I can purchase name-brand, quality goods and products.

19. Canuckgem

Canuckgem Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no car and use a mobility scooter so heavy items are a challenge. I normally use the online ordering to take care of things like tinned goods, laundry products etc and buy my meats, produce etc a bit at a time. Don't like shopping much anymore as it seems there are a lot of large groups of people who use the grocery store for a social/window shopping experience lol.

20. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fortnight: When mom and dad had a date and the neighbor kid "sitting" us just sat back and watched as we stripped our beds of the blankets and made an epic fort!
    (Mom and dad usually grounded us for two weeks, so that sounds about right!) :D

Our local grocer doesn't deliver.
    To homes or forts. :(

RICHARD

The Alperts Take Polo Towers!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.