1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pre-trip Vegas Chatter

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Timothy, Feb 12, 2020.

1. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We tried Guy Fieri's at Linq a few trips back. Thought the food was a bit overpriced, but good. Your socks might not get blown off, but I don't think you'd be disappointed.

2. Timothy

Timothy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for your opinion. Might use one of both $100 celebration dinners on this.

3. Timothy

Timothy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So... booked a cabana at Planet Hollywood yesterday for 1 day.

More and more things are falling into place already.

• Like Like x 1
  4. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fun thread. Sounds like an awesome trip. Two questions:

Did you say when your trip is? (If you don't want to say, that's fine too.)

What's special about that ice cream place your wife wants to visit on your rental car day?

• Like Like x 1
  5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's decent enough, though I'm a very bad source for this because I don't eat beef. I thought it was fine, but it's not my favorite place to eat within the CR ecosystem. Bear in mind that there's often a line. For the second one, maybe BLT or Martorano's?
    I always use them but tend to just book a one-way transfer in a sedan for clients. It doesn't include the champagne, but it does include baggage claim pickup and assistance. I think it's about $65 with tip. It also doesn't include a return trip, but I've always found that to be more of an annoyance than anything, since unlike when you're coming from the airport (when they're meeting you at baggage claim and helping out), all the return trip means is a slightly nicer car for a 15-minute ride, and it's not like it's difficult to get a cab at the average Strip hotel. Not to mention, I haven't gotten the champagne in a while, but my friends who have, say that it's managed to get even worse to the point of being almost undrinkable.
    Both are top-notch. I really enjoy Skybar, and you can't beat the views at either. Though I did find Skyfall at Delano a lot more amusing when half their drinks were inexplicably named after Taylor Swift songs...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Timothy

Timothy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is at the end of September, 22nd till October 1st.
    Have good plane hours also: arrive at LAS at 2pm and don’t have to leave until 4:30pm.

She just saw a Facebook commercial about it. We looked it up. Now we want to visit. Seemed like a fun stop along the road for something of strip (it’s CJ’s Italian Ice & Custard).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Timothy

Timothy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for these tips!

There is a line most of the time, but being Diamond you can completely skip it at GR Burger.

I also don’t quite like the idea of a limo for the return trip. As the last days are at Luxor, it will be an 8 minute ride or so. Besides, what to celebrate when you go back? Just a standard Lyft/Uber will do.

While champagne seems nice, my wife doesn’t drink it and if I have to drink a bottle in 15 minutes alone... I mean, I’m a big guy, but I’d rather be able to pronounce my name when arriving at Planet Hollywood :D

8. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the day my sisters and I finished an entire bottle between the airport and Excalibur. I still don't remember checking in, going to the room, or apparently how we got to the Mandalay Buffet - my memories start at the buffet entrance lol.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice plan. Guy Fieri’s is pretty good. They make a killer Bloody Mary that’s huge and the wife loves the trash can nachos. We have used the Diamond celebration twice at Burgr and as a couple it’s hard to use unless you include alcohol. I normally drink water when we eat since I drink way too much the rest of the day. Our last visit to Burgr after each getting a burger and fries we ordered two desserts and all three of the milkshakes to use to whole credit.
    You might want to try Ruth Chris in Harrah’s for one of your meals.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  10. Timothy

Timothy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the advices!

Last year I didn’t pay any attention and we ended around $80.

Might sound like a strange plan, but at Guy Fieri's I might just order 4-5 dishes to share between me and the mrs.

That way, the $100 is spent.

11. Timothy

Timothy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another box can be ticked: I just booked a daybed at the MGM Grand. It was $100 for the last weeks and with the Euro getting a bit stronger, I only paid about €88 for it. I am a little bummed that it’s only 50% of the rental towards F&B now, but still a good deal. I love the fact I can prepay these things, by the time we are in Vegas in September I have forgotten about the payment and it’ll feel like a free daybed and $50 free towards drinks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The attraction of Las Vegas is that there’s something for everyone, those who plan and those who don’t. And, even with a plan, you really don’t have to rigidly stick to it. You’ll never run out of things to do.

As the years have passed, we make fewer and fewer plans. Air, hotel, airport rides and a couple of dinner reservations-that’s about it. We go day by day, sometimes adjusting for mood or weather. We’re fortunate to have earned enough perks/status to be able to get into most restaurants and shows even on short notice, but we seldom test this. We’re unlikely to incur a penalty for not making some plans way in advance. We do not chase discounts or comps, but we’ll take ‘em where we find ‘em.

The important thing is: Have a great time!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Timothy

Timothy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That truly is the Vegas-way:
    To each his own. Vegas caters to all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Timothy

Timothy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am still hoping I am able to come to the US from Europe at the end of September.

I have since cancelled the third hotel, the one BR tower suite at Luxor and booked a Vdara Panoramic Suite. It was not comped as Luxor was (bar resort fees), but was only $410 for 3 nights + resort fees, which is a steal for that room.

The fact it’s a payed room enables both me and my wife to $100 and $50 MyVegas FreePlay at Aria, so basically 300 FP out of the deal sweetens it even more.

In the meantime, another pandemic-thing is that we were not able to spend a lot of money since the start of it - meaning my budget will be quite up from last trip (I might be near doubling it). I’ll just go to overtip to help al servers, bartenders,... as long as service is good (as it always was last time, everywhere).

• Like Like x 1