1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pre-amble for my TR

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by MangoPort, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cliffs:
    - Heading to Vegas! (duh)
    - End of a long life journey for me (huh?)

Almost 3 years ago my wife and I moved from Canada to Australia for work. We had just gotten married and her company offered her a promotion 'down under', meanwhile I took a job in investment banking. My job paid very well but it was honestly the worst job in the entire world (I suppose that sounds very pompous in this economy but soul sucking work and being stuck in middle management had me basically in existential mode 24hrs a day).

Every day at my job we had constant fears of layoffs; here one day and gone the next. Finally, about 4 months ago we made the decision to come back and be with our family and maybe start one of our own. But the money was so good here and I wasn't finding opportunities back home so our 'future' was very uncertain. At that point I decided to get into developing some software on the side with an unemployed PhD friend from Toronto, and last month made the decision I was going to pursue this dream back home. Hence, we were moving back. My goal was to resign in the middle of July and we'd come back beginning of August.

But then something happened. Last week I get called into HR and I see one of the managing directors there. "Mangoport", he said, "As you know we're making cutbacks blah blah blah" I knew what was happening. They had somber, empathetic faces as they explained my last day would be end of June. They asked "Was I okay?" and all I could think of Vegas at the ****ing Mirage...err... Bellagio...err Wynn. I smiled so much they probably thought I was losing my mind.

Why? Because
    a) My family was headed to Vegas for early July but I was going to have to miss it this year.
    b) Being laid off in Australia I was given almost 3 months pay as severance for a job I was moments away from leaving.
    c) My wife is still stuck in Australia until end of July, so it looks like I'll be in Vegas without her.

Point (c): I haven't done a vegas trip without my wife in 6 years (since I've known her).
    Cons:
    - I lose my best drinking buddy
    - I will be lonely at night
    - I have no one to celebrate my wins with

Pros:
    - Poker and gambling, 24hrs/day with no one to stop me
    - more gambling
    - No one to keep track of my losses
    - GAMBLING NON STOP!!!!!!!!

So just like that I'm flying in to Vegas on the 5th with more cash than I've ever had burning a hole in my pocket and the WSOP Main event in my sights (maybe). After Vegas it's straight back to Toronto for good and get things ready for my wife who will arrive shortly after.

I cannot contain my excitement. Once Vegas is over I'm heading back home - haven't seen my mom in over a year and same goes with a few of my brothers. My wife and I are beside ourselves happy to finally be back - only thing standing in my way is Vegas and I'm gonna burn that place to the ground (by burn it to the ground, I mean I'm going to play baccarat a lot .... lol)

Will update this in a few weeks.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I so want to visit Australia someday, but don't know if I could handle a flight that long.

You missed one on your list...nobody to say you're drunk, go to the room:drunk:

I made my first solo trip in March after 31 years of marriage. It was good, but I missed my wife.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's awesome dude. get to quit in June and paid through Sept when you were going to leave July anyway. but it does suck to have to go without your wife. it's fun for about a day and a half and then it gets lonely.

4. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In regards to the flight it's brutal but you do get used to it. The first flight I remember we took off at like 8pm and by 8:30pm I was already asking "how much longer?". "15hrs", she replied.

My wife is small and asian and I am white. Only once on my birthday did we need to leave because of me - usually she gets floored drunk if there's too much bubbles in her sparkling water :drunk:

lol, that's what I'm worried about. I'll probably just order extra pillows to spoon at night.

5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

What kind of banking do you do out there? I'm on the buy side mostly focused on AsiaPac and lived out there for a while. Tons of activity the last few years in Oz but mostly distressed deals. Most guys I know in IB feel the same as you, they love the money but hate the hours.

Getting laid off w/ severance right before you were going to quit is some nice luck and a good omen for your trip!

6. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% concur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.