1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pinball is making a comeback

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Vegas Insight, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight King of no media

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is an unnamed reference to Tim Arnold of the Pinball Hall of Fame in this column, but mostly it's about the resurgence of pinball. The writer, at least as of Tuesday afternoon, has erred in his claim that Stern is the only company manufacturing games these days. They were the last company, for a while, but the resurgence includes the rise of smaller manufacturers. That aside, here's info on pinball, according to one Minneapolis columnist. http://www.startribune.com/pinball-is-making-a-comeback-in-the-twin-cities-but-is-it-here-to-stay/414989514/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have fond memories of playing pinball every Sunday.
    A local restaurant served Sunday brunch and my sibs and I would get to play while we waited for the order to arrive.
    Of course we grew up on a family farm and didn't get out much, but to us getting to play a little pinball was a big deal! :D

RICHARD

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I admit I had a blast at the Pinball Hall Of Fame a few trips back.

When I was young it was technically illegal, but it was all over the place. :)

4. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked at a pinball place when I was a teenager. Not as romantic as it sounds. We handed out change and sold chips, candy bars and pop. We were not allowed to play while we where working and I really didn't want to stick around when I was done working to play. Needless to say the job did not last long.

Maybe not this year. Looking forward to 2021!
  5. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flight 2000 was one of my favorites. High Speed, too. I still can't believe I have never been to the HOF.

6. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I first played when I was 7 on a family vacation to San Antonio. There was bar called The Baton that had one machine and they me and my older brother in the daytime to play. I didn't know the ball would ricochet off the bumpers by itself, I thought I had to hit the flippers at the precise time, until my brother explained how it worked. Been hooked ever since.

Annual Super Bowl weekend trip
  7. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Played some serious pinball at Cahaba Brewing a few weeks ago,, I crushed as always

Pinball Wizard

8. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My uncle had an old west poker type game when I was a kid that I loved playing. Most corner stores in the 70's around here also used to sell hamburgers and fry food and have pinball machines. I was beside myself to play this at the Pinball Hall of Fame. It was a big one when I was a kid.

When in University we used to spend our hung over Sunday afternoons at a bowling alley playing The Adam Family. I love that machine.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up in the 60's..Corner store 2 blocks away from home.It had everthing..Counter for burgers etc magazine racks,candy..This is all before the first 7-11 opened around there.(When 7-11 really meant 7-11 operating hours) Baseball cards oh man. And the place was the size of an airport starbucks or so..Did I mention a dime a play Pinball machine?.What a kid's day to do in there with some serious $ like $.75..2 comic books, candy,packs of baseball cards and a couple games.
    Funny though no intention to play a pinball game again in LV unless it pays In $$..Yeah I am Degen I think.;)

10. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had 2 pinball machines in our basement when I was a kid. I played those things all the time and all my friends loved coming over to play them as well.

11. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spent a lot of time playing pinball machines at the 80 lane bowling alley back in the day. even the airport back then had an arcade. we would ride our bikes to the airport and play.

12. tribegiant

tribegiant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have been to the HOF a few times. Surprisingly , my 14 and 12 year old kids loved it so maybe there's hope!

13. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I loved to play back in the day and loved the PBHOF. Didn't have a chance to take my son when I took him to Vegas for his 21st last year but I think he'd love it too. I've always wanted to get a machine and have almost pulled the trigger a few times. But I"m not mechanically inclined and with my luck something would go wrong with it on day 1.

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread has brought back some fond memories of playing at the arcade at the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz and in my BFF's rec room back in the day. One of these trips I need to make a stop at the HOF.

15. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My local bar is owned by a pinball and arcade machine collector. He usually has ten machines on the floor and rotates the classics and the new ones. Just played High Speed and Ghostbusters yesterday. Tomorrow the annual Arcade Expo in Louisville features nearly a hundred machines and has tournament play for nationally certified points. I used to run out of dimes when I was a ten year old player, now I can afford dollars and beer money. So some things do get better.

16. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight King of no media

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pinball has been making a comeback for a while. There was a time, circa 2000, when Stern was the last pinball manufacturer in America. (I'm not well versed in international production, but I am under the impression Stern was the only one in the world at the time.)

As the linked article above notes, there are a variety of reasons why pinball is not so prolific in our world today, but part of what has kept it going, and helped it start growing again, is the home collector. As stories above attest, people have owned pinball machines for home use probably about as long as they've been manufactured. People are more willing, and able, to invest in machines nowadays, and Stern no longer has to rely upon vending companies buying and circulating the machines. That's still a part of the demand, without question, but the greater interest in buying new machines for home use has helped sustain the industry, and is encouraging smaller start-up companies during the past several years.

I'm in no position to plunk thousands of dollars down for a new, or slightly used, modern pinball machine, but plenty of people are. The manufacturers are coming up with marketing strategies to help fuel that interest, too. There's a new Batman pinball machine coming out, using the specs of a Batman machine from Stern several years ago, but modified to make a Batman '66 pinball machine, based upon the Adam West TV show. (Given we have a slot machine and a current comic book series paying homage to the 60s, why not a pinball machine?) It sounds pretty cool, and has generated a lot of excitement in the pinball world.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Played lots of pinball at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion - way back when. Then in the Army. I can't recall the last time I played, but I'd be willing to bet it was some time around 1981 or so. It was about then that this cool new game - Pong - came out. That and Space Invaders and Asteroids. That, as I recall, was pretty much it.

18. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I owned a bar for 27 years. One of the saddest nights was the one where our pinball machine shorted out and caught on fire. We unplugged it and carried it outside before it caught anything else on fire. I still love to play the silver ball every chance I get.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.