1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Photobucket blocking posted photos to forums

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mjames1229, Jun 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (I am not sure of the proper category for this, but since it is affecting most of the trip reports that I have written, I am posting it here. MODS - feel free to move this to the appropriate area).

I received an E-mail from Photobucket, stating (among other things)...
    • "WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING*"
    • "Our Terms of Service does not allow 3rd party hosting with your current account level."
    • "The subscriptions we offer are price competitive & we offer unlimited 3rd party hosting, no matter how popular your image is on your forum, blog or online store."
    So I logged in to see just how affordable, and they want $400/year to allow photos to be posted on forums like this one and the Visit Reno forums (in which I am also active).

I post a lot of photos of my trip reports, and I find them very valuable in telling my story. However, the *edit* ability is gone on my TRs (including my most recent one from April) so I cannot change the photos.

My guess is that many of you also use Photobucket, and if not yet, then soon your photos on this forum will be gone, too.

So... does anyone know if any other photo sites that don't crack down on posting to 3rd party sites?

Super Bowl / Poker Trip Combo Platter
    Bowling the USBC National tournament, I hope.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jidery

Jidery Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Use Imgur, it's fast and free

3. mjames1229

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Photobucket was too... Thanks for the lead, I will look into it this weekend.

I did look at my last trip report, and if you right-click on what was the photo, then click "Open Image in New Tab", it will take you to Photobucket and show the photo. My guess is that they will crackback on that, too.

4. blue808

blue808 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just started using Imgur the other day... very easy to use and they have an excellent reputation for stability... however, I don't like that I can only view my pictures in a vertical grid fashion which sucks if I have a lot of pictures to play with...

I was using Imgbox, but they said they were closing down today, but when I checked they claim they have a new partnership and will continue stronger that ever... we shall see... Imgbox gives me a gallery view in a horizontal grid format which allows me to see all my pics at a glance...

Good luck to you in whatever you decide...

5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just as an aside, I would look at this as a sign that Photobucket will be out of business and offline relatively soon, so make sure you're not using it as your only storage. They are never gonna get casual users to pay. Storage is cheap, it's only older message boards that don't have the capability of storing images in their own database.

If all else fails, you can set up a web hosting account for probably $10/month if it's worth it to you. No idea how Photobucket thinks they're gonna get $400/year out of anybody.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm using Flickr for most of the photos I post here. They allow linking, at least for now. They were recently bought out, so who knows, really.

7. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i just switched to Imgur today after all of photobuckets BS, a zillion ads and super slow...I just have to figure how to get about 3000 pics and video off PB and onto my computer without saving each one individually

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me know if you figure a way. The majority of my pictures on Photobucket are of Vegas. It was always convenient if someone posted a question like what are the rooms like at MSS, Cal, 4Q etc I could just post the pictures. It was my only storage location because nothing there was that important, but I don't want to copy all my pictures individually to another flash drive or some such.

9. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    quick google search, on the right side of the page for any album you are in, under "Actions" it has " download album" it will open a small window and check to make sure you are not a bot, then it will download only the pictures, you have to go and do video 1 by 1

10. RibbonCat

RibbonCat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Photobucket is insane if they think average users will pay $400 a year. I just went in and got my photos and deleted my account. Thanks for the heads up.

I noticed forums that I frequent are now littered with the Photobucket image showing 3rd party hosting needs a paid account. Annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jidery

Jidery Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Google Photos is best for long term storage, free unlimited storage, and Google is very reliable.

Imgur is best for sharing

12. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also use Google Photos. Never had a problem with it.

Maybe not this year. Looking forward to 2021!
  13. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No problem here[​IMG]

14. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they just added the feature back, probably after major backlash, but its super slow, with nonstop ads...I collected all my pictures, hope photobucket goes under

• Like Like x 1
  15. mjames1229

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine is still blocked.

I am going to go back and upload all TR photos from my laptop to this site, but it will take awhile.

16. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems to me that Imgur doesn't allow "third party hosting either.....this is from their terms of service.
    "Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network."

I like them and would like to use them but it doesn't seem possible. I have been trying to use Flickr but not liking it. I must look into other photo sharing options.

I took 11 years worth of pictures off of Photobucket and canceled my account...which they STILL have not deleted.
    They have better not charge me again....:cuss:

All my trip reports are jacked up now....so angry.

Other angry users....
    http://blog.photobucket.com/status/

17. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got ya, I don't use it much and had seen other posts like yours so was surprised it worked, luckily I have all mine backed up on my Google and most on Facebook as well.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On some of the photo boards I frequent, the images will still broken a few minutes ago.

19. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    might be for certain members then, it original took all the sharing options away on my account, mine is back but still wont use them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.