1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

PGA Tour coming to Shadow Creek

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The sanctioning entities all consult with each other but the R&A calls the shots at the Open Championship, USGA for our Open, the PGA of America does for the PGA Championship (and Ryder Cup) and ANGC for the Masters. That why the PGA Tour is so intent on insisting the Players is the "fifth" major and trying to convince us the President's Cup matters.

P.S. The PGA Tour wants as much uniformity in condition -- turf grass changes, of course -- from event to event as possible so the pampered ones aren't too put out. lol

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  2. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And they wear those jumpsuits.

3. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Augusta National GC controls every aspect of The Masters and the conditioning of the golf course leading up to it. The event is “owned and operated” by Augusta National, not the PGA Tour.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @VegasBJ and I were chatting yesterday about playing conditions at these events. Now he regularly plays what truly is one of the best courses in the nation, and its conditioning is phenomenal, and as he'll tell you when there's an event there they get the greens rolling at speeds that would see Phil Mickelson throwing a tantrum and swatting at a putt in motion. And they are fast just during normal times.

I think the most difficult conditions I've ever played in were Torrey (during the Farmers, let alone the Open) and Chambers right after the U.S. Am. Kikuyu-blend rough at several inches, with a coastal fog-wet going on simply sucks. Chambers was just blisteringly fast throughout. They let off the gas a bit at tourneys like the Waste Management but for players like us it's still tough tough tough.

5. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, most players have no idea how hard the courses are when set up for Tour events.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Putt for dough really is true at pga level

7. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bummer DJ has Covid and had to WD. @VegasBJ Didn't you tell me once he was the course record holder for a while?

8. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, correct. DJ did have the course record for several years. I expect it may be broken over this weekend during the event. Currently course record is 63 by one of the UNLV golfers.

Today, I get to play in the Pro Am for the CJ Cup event at Shadow Creek. Playing the first 9 holes with Hideki Matsuyama, and the second 9 with Brian Harman. Should be interesting to play the course I play so often under tournament conditions.

Have to walk the course, no caddy allowed, no smoking, drinking, can't use the range, putting green, clubhouse, etc. All kinds of rules set up by the PGA. Have to have a valet pass to get by the front gate. Had to take a Covid test yesterday to get cleared for the event.

Should be a fun day!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you. These types of experiences are priceless, and as you note, there's a bit of lagniappe when it's on a course you know well. Have fun!!! Never met Hideki. I love Brian's swing.

10. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watching the Charity Challenge...

Looks like the CJ Cup took the controversy at the ANA with the sponsor wall behind 18 and applied it to every hole. What's up with that?

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fowler just met Shadow green speeds.

12. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    greens at 13 today and firm. No longer shot in could hold the greens, even for the Pros. almost playing like Torrey Pines South at US Open conditions. rough super nasty and thick. pinched in many fairways with a new intermediate cut.
    Brian Harman quantified it best when he stated that if the greens were soft and receptive, they would shoot lights out, and this event does not want that to happen. will still be low scores, just not the -30 winning scores

• Like Like x 1
  13. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bubba, Rickie, Na and An all seemed surprised by how firm the greens were, too. Can't wait to watch more all weekend!

14. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surprised to see the live odds shown on the Golf Channel, cool twist.

Annual me and Pete
  15. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Question: Can you ever see the surrounding mountains in the distance from the course? (Obviously the elevated TV shots can, but I can't tell if you can from ground level.)

16. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, from ground level you can on several holes, especially on 18

• Like Like x 1
  17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As V said. The corridors are discrete but above the immediate horizon the viewshed goes outward in many places. Part of the design mastery of the place. Of course move that much dirt and with a "limitless budget that was exceeded" you can do that magic kinda shit.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys.

k2v... Your boy Streelman is right there! Hopefully they show what he does on 18 during this post-round coverage.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup:

Great guy. Does a lot in a smaller package. Lots of dedication to his craft and he paid his dues in the minis, that's for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played Torrey during regular tourney week and it fucking sucked. lol. The rough didn't look that bad on TV. How deep is it, and is it now a rye mix? Was this your first pro-am experience? We want more details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.