1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Penny Slots strategy??

Discussion in 'Slots' started by Bamfbowhunter, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamfbowhunter

Bamfbowhunter Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always been under the impression that you should ALWAYS max bet slot machines.. I normally would play .25$ or .50$ 3 line slots.. I have started playing penny slots some and the max bet gets a little to big for the part of my bank roll that i use for slots.. So my question is am i better off not max betting penny slots or just playing my old 3 reel slots. :thumbsup:

2. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    max bet is usually suggested for reel machines b/c you need that 3rd coin for the bonus (like top dollar). Also if you look at the payout structure, on most machines if you play that 3rd coin it has a bigger payout for the jackpot if you play the 3rd coin. For instance say the jackpot is 500 for 1 coin, 1000 for 2 coins, the jackpot for the 3rd coin might be 2500(instead of being 1500).

Also, for games like some of the blazing 7's, if you play 1 coin the 7s dont count at all. If you play 2 coins the 7s have a payout, but for the 3rd coin the blazing 7s might give you progressive jackpot.

For penny/video slots, you dont necessarily have to max bet. What you need to see is how the payouts vary if you are playing max or not. Usually on video slots it doesn't have the structure like the reels where you get more for playing 5x each line vs 1 bet per line. There are 2 things I look at when I determine how much to play.
    1) do I need to play max for a progressive win
    2) how do you get a bonus game.
    - if you need to have bonus symbols on a pay line then yes you should play all the lines (but that still doesnt mean you need to play max bet)
    - If you just need any 3-5 bonus symbols scattered then you dont need to play every line.

You also have the whole percent payback (this is also been brought up in a recent thread--- a penny machine may have a lower payback % over time but that still doesnt mean anything since you arent playing it for months/ years, you are playing it for a short period of time.

I hope my input helps u decide which to play. I have a tendancy to max bet when I am on penny or 5cent machines.... it will crush you if the machine is "cold" but if I hit a jackpot and I wasnt playing max I feel like I'm losing money (stupid gamblers mentality, but I cant help it).

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the classic style three reel slots you should almost always bet max: thats because the top 1-3 spots usually pay extra on max bet.
    IE: three cherries might pay 10 on a 1 credit bet, 20 on a 2 credit bet and 30 on a 3 credit bet... but three jackpot symbols might pay 800 on a 1 credit bet, 1600 on a 2 credit bet and then 3000 on a 3 credit bet

With video slots in most cases you can pretty much do whatever you want: bet some lines, bet all lines, bet 1 credit per line, bet max credits per line...

Most of the time you will hear "you should always play max lines" but thats really more of a holdover from the "olden days" of video slots where a lot of the first machines would only trigger a bonus game if the bonus symbols appeared on a pay line. Nowadays thats pretty rare and most of the time you just need X number of bonus symbols to get the bonus game, sometimes they have to be consecutive or sometimes they have to start from the leftmost reel.

But overall I would still recommend to play max lines because that way you don't have to worry about the particular nuances of a machine like how it plays or how it pays... I am just saying its hardly as important as it was 10+ years ago.

How much to bet really depends on the game: on most video slots it doesn't matter if you bet 1 credit per line, 5 per line, 10 per line... the pays are all relative to your bet. IE: five "aces" might pay 200 credits on a machine on one credit bet and then 400 on 2 credits bet, 600 on a 3 credit bet, 1000 on a 5 credit bet and so on.

However some machines need you to bet max for certain features. This is usually for games with a progressive jackpot (IE: you can't win the progressive jackpot unless you are betting max on that machine) but also some games just have certain features or bonuses that only come up if you are betting max.

But note that just because a machine has a progressive jackpot it doesn't mean you have to bet max to get a chance to win it, just that you USUALLY have to bet max to have a chance to win it.

All that said, the best thing to do is just take a quick moment to read the help file on the machine (or in some cases they will say right on the front of the machine) if you need to bet max to activate any special pays, features or bonuses.

4. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in Vegas 2 weeks ago, in Paris i decided to play penny 3 wheel Blazing 7's (the one where the 3rd wheel says "7", "7 1st", "7 2nd", and "7 3rd. The max bet was 125 coins, but the progressive was enormous for a penny machine. I hit $200 (20,000 coins with "7 2nd" numerous times that week.
    When i go back to Vegas in August, that's the first thing i'm hitting.
    There are numerous penny 5 wheel slots that you would have to take out a loan to bet max.......so i'll stick with $1.25 max bet.

5. aperez1988

aperez1988 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your trying to waste time and just snag free drinks then go and play low credits. If your trying to earn comps and get your rating up then play max bets. No risk NO REWARD!

6. WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My philosophy on penny video slots is always play max LINES, but only play the number of credits per line I'm comfortable with. I may give up a progressive chance by not maxing out both, but usually that's all you give up. These progressives (e.g. Game of Life, Wizard of Oz) are usually incredible long-shots. On many machines you don't give up anything at all but the straight multiplier on the total bet per spin.

With max LINES you'll get max action (more chances to hit something). But I keep the total credits per spin to something more manageable by limiting the credits per line.

The 'Must Hit By $xxxx' jackpots are interesting (you'll see $500 a lot). Wizard of Odds has a page about when you should be playing these things. You can still hit the jackpot with minimum lines and minimum credits, but you push up the the jackpot amount so slowly when you do that, it's hard to make the jackpot hit. (The exact dollar amount where the jackpot will hit has already been selected; the person that pushes it up that that number wins it.)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.